• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Mmmmmm...poppers!

Hey ya'll once again from the big dry ditch in Las Vegas. I was going to grill today but ahhh...a little too hot once again. Maybe tomorrow will be more appropos. My gal had bought some very nice ground beef to make some sliders but she changed her mind as usual and opted instead for spinach/cheese ravioli with garlic cream sauce instead. Of course I was enlisted to do the cooking. So what to do with the ground beef? I have peppers. I have cheese. Duh..como se dice en espanol....poppers!!
Ground beef, japs, 4 cheese Mexi mix, shallots, Lawry's and fresh ground pepper. Here tis. Notice the melon ball tool I use to deseed. Works perfect.
0020.jpg

The mix.
0021.jpg

Stuffed.
0022.jpg

0029.jpg

Have a great holiday ya'll....and cheers!!! Texas Bluesman

great looking poppers everyone....

Just a comment...I notice a lot of the peppers have the pods split and stripped of seeds and placenta...if you strip the seeds and leave the placenta, you keep the heat...to me, a jalapeno stripped of seeds and placenta is like a bell pepper...JMHO...of course, stripping the seeds and placenta is good for those that "can't stand the heat"....

I usually cut the stem end off and core mine getting the seeds and leaving as much of the placenta as possible then stuff...I know it is hard to do but the outcome is worth it...I use bacon to "seal" the hole in the top or just use toothpicks to put the top back on after stuffing...

Right you are AJ.

I used to halve the 'peno and scrape out the guts but only to fit more stuffing in, but indeed you lose all the heat and need to substitute another heat source.

Years ago I bought an armadillo shaped chile grill when they first came out but only used it sparingly as the holes were a little on the small side for most jalapeno's.

mrs. blues picked up another grill for me on the cheap, Kohl's of all places, and have used it a few times with much better results.

Dang, I'm over due for breaking some poppers out!

great looking poppers everyone....

Just a comment...I notice a lot of the peppers have the pods split and stripped of seeds and placenta...if you strip the seeds and leave the placenta, you keep the heat...to me, a jalapeno stripped of seeds and placenta is like a bell pepper...JMHO...of course, stripping the seeds and placenta is good for those that "can't stand the heat"....

I usually cut the stem end off and core mine getting the seeds and leaving as much of the placenta as possible then stuff...I know it is hard to do but the outcome is worth it...I use bacon to "seal" the hole in the top or just use toothpicks to put the top back on after stuffing...
This is how I do mine as well.

Wulf, your presentation is fine.

Just got to crisp up that bacon for the WIN.
My culinary skills are just barely starting to evolve beyond the "Is it still moving? Hit it on the head, apply more heat" stage of things so excuse the newbly question, but would you just fry them for a few minutes after they come out of the oven? Or is there a sweet spot in the oven where the bacon will crisp without everything turning to char?

The bacon actually tasted pretty good even though it does look a little uncrisp. Of course, it's bacon, so that explains it.

I notice a lot of the peppers have the pods split and stripped of seeds and placenta...of course, stripping the seeds and placenta is good for those that "can't stand the heat"....
Exactly the reason for me. Almost nobody in my immediate or extended family can handle anything hot, so if I'm not just being a selfish bastard and cooking a meal for myself I have to neuter the peppers.

I’d like to start out by saying “Thank you” to everyone who posted recipes and pics of poppers!! This past weekend was too dang hot to be outside for even a few minutes but I decided to fire up the smoker anyway. The recipe I used was simple: Peppers (Japs, yellow cayenne, and red hot cherry peppers), cream cheese, shredded Mexican cheese, hamburger meat and bacon. The japs were on the mild side so I sliced up a yellow cayenne for added heat. Besides, that was the only way my girlfriend would probably eat the cayenne…unknown of course. They turned out great and it was a fun time watching the ol lady cuss because she randomly picked the “hot” one lol. The red hot cherry poppers turned out really good too…a nice pepper taste with minimal heat.
I’m definitely going to try the numerous methods in which you guys have posted. Thanks y’all!!

poppers1.jpg

poppers2.jpg

poppers3.jpg

poppers4.jpg

That was some fresh corn in the foil on the left side and left over hamburger meat on the right side, for the redtick. The splooge on the chicken is the peppercorn ranch sauce from Logan's Steakhouse. It's what they use on their grilled mesquite chicken.

All I know is I want to be invited to STC's next popper party. In fact, I might have a popper party of my own because he has inspired me.

Today I drove out into the hot north Texas sun and headed down south to see a dude who goes by the name of ALABAMA JACK.

Now when I got there I reminded him I was on a diet and I was.

Right up until I saw these....

IMG_3766.jpg

Lemme' 'splain y'all.

When it comes to food, the man doesn't play around.

Those big boys were stuffed with a habanero cheddar and small shrimp. As you can see, the bacon was perfect.

Just like everthang the man does.

Muchas gracias senor!

Where's the superhot poppers? Saving them for himself no doubt! Wish I was there with you. Have fun and tell AJ hello.

What super hots?

I don't know nuffin'.

The man makes a hot blue & righteous bloody mary.

I only drank one.

We talked about chu.

True story.

Lemme' 'splain y'all.

When it comes to food, the man doesn't play around.

Those big boys were stuffed with a habanero cheddar and small shrimp. As you can see, the bacon was perfect.

Just like everthang the man does.

Muchas gracias senor!

thank you and you are very welcome TB....anytime my friend...

Where's the superhot poppers? Saving them for himself no doubt! Wish I was there with you. Have fun and tell AJ hello.

I didn't want to bring him to his knees Jay... :rofl:

and I wish you were here with us too....

What super hots?

I don't know nuffin'.

The man makes a hot blue & righteous bloody mary.

I only drank one.

We talked about chu.

True story.

I will testify to that...

Back