• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MoA Jamaican scotch bonnets....

so...as a few of you know that when i came on here.. one of my mission was to be able to acquire some pods and or seeds of JAMAICAN SCOTCH BONNETs.... others came along to help me with seeds (smokemaster, midwestchilihead, jamison and GreenTea) but i had a hard time growing them due to various reasons.it was my first grow..

so anyways.. along came a guy name Steve954 who introduced us to the MoA (ministry of agriculture) Jamaican scotch bonnets...

again i am truly humbled and glad i am able to grow this pepper

got a couple germing in jiffy pucks.. and a couple in my aerogarden....
A8C9E3BC-3294-470E-8F73-B5DBE99692B2-2331-00000120D12149FF_zps98c86893.jpg

please feel free to post comment.. especially those who was honored to get these seeds....

and without further a do!!.. let us start a progress chart on this MoA Scotch bonnet pepper!!

you got it too i see... this is what scott Devv posted on mine..

As far as broad mites go, I had my butt kicked early on, Shane ID'ed them, don't know if they live here or came in on the few plants I bought at Lowes. I did a ton of research, and came up with this that ended my problems....well so far.

So here goes:

They like weeds, that's where they will be waiting. I had my container plants near high (Bermuda) grass and weeds on the south side of the house, they all got hammered.

I also read that wettable sulfur works to kill they're nasty selves, I hit them with that and they went away.

A few plants were still there on the side of the house and became infected.....again. By this time Annie had mentioned she had great success with a Rosemary based oil...like 64 bucks a pint, or quart, anyways...too expensive. I had mentioned we might be able to make this, Ramon found a video, so having a ton of Rosemary I made some, sent him some and both of us tested it. It does kill the mites.

You can't use sulfur and oils within 2 to 3 weeks of each other, bad for peps. Try 1 or both as tests and see which you like best. Any oil treatment requires some shade or leaf burn occurs. I was able to test on the potted plants as I could move them.

So I plant a garden surrounded by cattle graze on 2 sides, next year I'm going to scalp it down like a lawn for 50 yds all around the garden, I may even disc it under to create a buffer zone.
kalimazoop said:
any suggestions on dealing with the broad mites and spider mites?

I have a real soft spot in my hear for SBs.  The MOA variety may have taken over from Foodarama as my favorite SB - not sure as I've never grown/tasted the MOA.  If anyone has MOA available, let me know.  Thanks.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
lol.. good to know... Allen in Ireland will have two sets

Pepper-Guru said:
I think they are distributing them around to other growers as well so, lets hope this variety gets out there! 

Yes indeed. Thanks guys. Those seeds will go to at least 1 UK grower, and 1 Finnish grower, as well as myself. I'm sure there will be a few more who want to grow this variety as well!

ronniedeb said:

Yes indeed. Thanks guys. Those seeds will go to at least 1 UK grower, and 1 Finnish grower, as well as myself. I'm sure there will be a few more who want to grow this variety as well!
I'm distributing to Spain, Argentina and Mexico ;). It's getting there :D.

, Walter

Al-from-Chile said:
Chile is also on the list ... courtesy of Sr. Walkgood :D

(still not received it - but thats merely a problem with local postal service)

cheers, Al 
Al, me dices si te llegan y si no. Yo te puedo mandar cuando haga el envio para Argentina. Me avisas.

(Let me know if you get em, if not. I can send you some when I ship off to Argentina. Lmk)

, Walter

Vegas_Chili said:
Al, me dices si te llegan y si no. Yo te puedo mandar cuando haga el envio para Argentina. Me avisas.
(Let me know if you get em, if not. I can send you some when I ship off to Argentina. Lmk)
, Walter
Grx, Walter

I passed by a post office today and saw a huge sign...

LEGAL STRIKE!

Just what I wanted to see - with Ramon's seeds being somewhere in between :D

1 abrazo, Alfred

Al-from-Chile said:
Chile is also on the list ... courtesy of Sr. Walkgood :D

(still not received it - but thats merely a problem with local postal service)

cheers, Al 
Strange, been a while since I sent them, I would have thought you received them by now. I sent yours and Stefan's (meatfreak) at the same time, he already received his. Dam chili-head customs agents, if you want I could resend more or do you think they will still come?

Pepper-Guru said:
I think they are distributing them around to other growers as well so, lets hope this variety gets out there! 
Rich. 6 forever stamps and a birthday card does the trick
Sent a bunch to grant Hustler to help send out and grow I. Aussie. Sent some to Sweden and Finland along with the Ireland. Sent to miski on Monday and he got on Wednesday. MoA worldwide !! Sending some more to some people in Spain and another in the uK

WalkGood said:
Strange, been a while since I sent them, I would have thought you received them by now. I sent yours and Stefan's (meatfreak) at the same time, he already received his. Dam chili-head customs agents, if you want I could resend more or do you think they will still come?
Thx, Ray... But I will have to sit it out... Damn postal strike.... Bought seeds from semillas.de a good while ago and haven't received those either... I ts been that long I don't even remember what I ordered - so I get 12 packs of mystery seeds :D

Cheers Al

Back