• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MoA Jamaican scotch bonnets....

so...as a few of you know that when i came on here.. one of my mission was to be able to acquire some pods and or seeds of JAMAICAN SCOTCH BONNETs.... others came along to help me with seeds (smokemaster, midwestchilihead, jamison and GreenTea) but i had a hard time growing them due to various reasons.it was my first grow..

so anyways.. along came a guy name Steve954 who introduced us to the MoA (ministry of agriculture) Jamaican scotch bonnets...

again i am truly humbled and glad i am able to grow this pepper

got a couple germing in jiffy pucks.. and a couple in my aerogarden....
A8C9E3BC-3294-470E-8F73-B5DBE99692B2-2331-00000120D12149FF_zps98c86893.jpg

please feel free to post comment.. especially those who was honored to get these seeds....

and without further a do!!.. let us start a progress chart on this MoA Scotch bonnet pepper!!

I got some seeds from Steve about a month ago. Super excited to grow one or two next season. I definitely think spreading the seeds around the world like THP members are doing is awesome, but did the MoA want that to happen? There must have been a reason for them keeping the seedbank tightly controlled. (Not criticizing Steve or anyone on THP, just wondering.) Jamison, Denniz, and Vegas, all your plants look awesome!

SciurusDoomus said:
I got some seeds from Steve about a month ago. Super excited to grow one or two next season. I definitely think spreading the seeds around the world like THP members are doing is awesome, but did the MoA want that to happen? There must have been a reason for them keeping the seedbank tightly controlled. (Not criticizing Steve or anyone on THP, just wondering.) Jamison, Denniz, and Vegas, all your plants look awesome!

Hard to pinpoint the exact reason, but I want to say that it is somewhere between a total economic collapse and the latter of just being a little stubborn.

The first Bonnet I ate was the TFM and I really really enjoyed it.  I was wondering if anyone has a comparison of the TFM to the MoA as far as taste goes?  

Bodeen said:
The first Bonnet I ate was the TFM and I really really enjoyed it.  I was wondering if anyone has a comparison of the TFM to the MoA as far as taste goes?  
I've eaten both and prefer the MoA but IMHO they're very similar in taste and if you don't do a side by side compare it's impossible to rely on memory or at least I couldn't. I have not grown a TFM a good friend had a beautiful large TFM plant but I prefer the look of the MoA and it's a beast from the Jamaican Ministry so it's the real mccoy. I wrote a review on the MoA click here to read. If you don't have MoA seeds, drop me a pm and I'll get some out before the week is up ...

Al-from-Chile said:
A holler direction north for Mr. WalkGood

*IMG*

Thx man, you even brought the chilean postal system to their knees :D ... Cant wait to give both peppers a spin - and consequently they are both soaking as we speak!

again, huge THX compadre!

un abrax, Alfred
Al that has to be the longest mail delivery in the history of the mail system. I wish I had some White Bhut seeds back when I sent that, I would have included them too. I can't believe you never lost hope, that's awesome they finally got there :)

Have a great weekend brethren ^_^

Bodeen said:
Is your first pic the shape we're looking for when growing these?

Jamison said:
You are correct.

Jeff, that pod that Jamison posted is considered an “A” shaped pod if not an “A+” but that would be Jamison’s call. Here is the written description quoted verbatim from my JA MoA Scotch Bonnet Review, hope this is helpful.
"The Chili’s upper portion is a rounded apex that resembles an old fashioned Scottish cap, thus part of the name was born I presume (bonnet). The lower end has four or five rounded lobes that fold into a crimped buttock, truly a sexy looking pod when the plant produces “A or B grade” shapes. The folds or groves actually start from the top of the pod but are less pronounced. These pods are also known as the cup-and-saucer shaped pods again from their appearance. Their size is around 1 ½ inches in length and 2 to 2 ½ inches in diameter and they grow best in tropical climates. That said the MoA can produce golf ball size pods and to me that’s impressive."

Back