• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MoA Jamaican scotch bonnets....

so...as a few of you know that when i came on here.. one of my mission was to be able to acquire some pods and or seeds of JAMAICAN SCOTCH BONNETs.... others came along to help me with seeds (smokemaster, midwestchilihead, jamison and GreenTea) but i had a hard time growing them due to various reasons.it was my first grow..

so anyways.. along came a guy name Steve954 who introduced us to the MoA (ministry of agriculture) Jamaican scotch bonnets...

again i am truly humbled and glad i am able to grow this pepper

got a couple germing in jiffy pucks.. and a couple in my aerogarden....
A8C9E3BC-3294-470E-8F73-B5DBE99692B2-2331-00000120D12149FF_zps98c86893.jpg

please feel free to post comment.. especially those who was honored to get these seeds....

and without further a do!!.. let us start a progress chart on this MoA Scotch bonnet pepper!!

Issues again with my MoA  Looks like the top leaves are browning on me.  My fert is way weak, so I am not thinking that.  I am not thinking the light is doing it, but it could be I guess.  My trouble is the light is their only heat source, so I haven't been cycling it off yet at night.  I may have to start doing that.  Can't do it with the one as it is being used to start some Manzano seeds, so I will have to move my MoA to another light bank.  I really don't want to start running the electric heater for them at this time.  Might have to move them upstairs to a window location.

Any thoughts?

MoA10-30-2013.jpg

That could be a combo of things. Soil looks wet, possibly vermiculite rather than fast draining medium grade perlite. Veins in the leaves look dark, blotchy patching on leaves can be over fertilizing. You really don't need to feed at that early stage of the soil medium is fresh. I foliar feed early on. Are those 3" or 5.25" pots. The plants appear to be stretching for only the 3rd leaf set...Solution, repot with more drainage and pour the lights on. Although I use many fixtures, the lighting cycle is overlapped. Theres lights on all the time. If your room is cooler and damp, water less......It's still early, if you have them plant more seeds. A week seedling usually turns into a struggling plant.

Bacterial issues don't normally happen indoors. Although, I clean and bleach all my pots and trays before restarting indoors. Always use new potting mixes...no outdoor compost brought in from the yard.

PIC 1 said:
That could be a combo of things. Soil looks wet, possibly vermiculite rather than fast draining medium grade perlite. Veins in the leaves look dark, blotchy patching on leaves can be over fertilizing. You really don't need to feed at that early stage of the soil medium is fresh. I foliar feed early on. Are those 3" or 5.25" pots. The plants appear to be stretching for only the 3rd leaf set...Solution, repot with more drainage and pour the lights on. Although I use many fixtures, the lighting cycle is overlapped. Theres lights on all the time. If your room is cooler and damp, water less......It's still early, if you have them plant more seeds. A week seedling usually turns into a struggling plant.

Bacterial issues don't normally happen indoors. Although, I clean and bleach all my pots and trays before restarting indoors. Always use new potting mixes...no outdoor compost brought in from the yard.

They are 2 1/2 inch pots.  I have been letting the soil dry before I water.  The soil looks wet in the picture because I just watered.  The fert I am giving is way diluted.  I will back out of it completely.  Not happy with the growing medium, so I will probably change that out this weekend.  They shouldn't be stretching for the light as I have them within an inch of the light.

I will bring them upstairs where they will have some more warmth.  If I can't get them straightened out by the time I start my regular plantings, I will can these and start fresh.

Hope you get the funk figured out on those, Jeff.  Do you think there's a chance you could have burnt that one taller one by having it too close to the light?  Certainly, it looks like there is more going on overall, but that one leaf looks like it could be scorched.  One the plus side, it looks like you have some healthy branching starting.

I finally pulled some ripe MoAs of my own today:
1zeupzt.jpg

The two different colors came off two different plants.  I even went back out to make sure they definitely were from my MoAs... no mistake there.  The lighter pods are from an in-ground plant and were very well-shaded under the leaves.  The darker pods are from a plant in a #2 or #3 pot and had more light exposure.  I guess the difference in light intensity could explain the darker pods.  Haven't tasted them yet.

Arksaw, bet they taste amazing! (Regardless of color!) Nice!

Jeff, with Greg on this. Jiffy's an inconsistent mix (or it is from bag to bag around here) and can't see medium grade perlite in there. Are you bottom watering/feeding or top? Fans should help along with--the Jiffy could even work if add perlite to it. I add perlite to Pro-Mix to let soil drain faster. Looks like a lot of vermiculite and less perlite so the roots could be drowning without ya knowing, hon. Best!  You are one more excellent grower! ;)

annie57 said:

Jeff, with Greg on this. Jiffy's an inconsistent mix (or it is from bag to bag around here) and can't see medium grade perlite in there. Are you bottom watering/feeding or top? Fans should help along with--the Jiffy could even work if add perlite to it. I add perlite to Pro-Mix to let soil drain faster. Looks like a lot of vermiculite and less perlite so the roots could be drowning without ya knowing, hon. Best!  You are one more excellent grower! ;)

Sawyer said:
Hope you get the funk figured out on those, Jeff.  Do you think there's a chance you could have burnt that one taller one by having it too close to the light?  Certainly, it looks like there is more going on overall, but that one leaf looks like it could be scorched.  One the plus side, it looks like you have some healthy branching starting.

I was keeping them in my one grow table as I am using that table to try to get some Manzano going.  Temps never dipped below 80.  I thought it was looking a bit burnt on top, so I was thinking along the lines of moving them to a shelf to lower the heat from the bulbs.  Was also thinking about bringing them upstairs by a window.  I am thinking its the soil as it is the first time I used it and it packs pretty tight and then is really loose when it dries out.

annie57 said:

Not happy with the soil.  First time trying it.  Top watering.  Going to change back to my main stay from the past and see what happens.

Sawyer said:

I finally pulled some ripe MoAs of my own today:
1zeupzt.jpg

The two different colors came off two different plants.  I even went back out to make sure they definitely were from my MoAs... no mistake there.  The lighter pods are from an in-ground plant and were very well-shaded under the leaves.  The darker pods are from a plant in a #2 or #3 pot and had more light exposure.  I guess the difference in light intensity could explain the darker pods.  Haven't tasted them yet.

I get the darkening with mine when they're exposed to full sun while ripening. The lower shaded pods stay light yellow before over ripening to a dull yellow.
I would have tasted them while they were still on the plant........... :D

Great looking pods John, congrats \o/ I get the two colors as well and they’re on the same plant in 15 gal. pot. I agree with Greg’s theory about the amount of sun they receive during ripening and how ripe they are when picked. Mine go from green to the yellow and if I leave them on the plant too long they turn that orange color but AFAIK they all still taste the same …

ok4qojT.jpg

Sorry for poor picture quality, but ive got 4 ladies established. Thanks again Ramon for the seeds, i also have 2 of the JA habs too. Every time i go to make a proper post in my glog i get distracted and forget about it...

gourdmaster said:
Sorry for poor picture quality, but ive got 4 ladies established. Thanks again Ramon for the seeds, i also have 2 of the JA habs too. Every time i go to make a proper post in my glog i get distracted and forget about it...
Ya welcome Kyle, great to see your young ladies, take care of them ... both super tasty peppers \o/

Hab a great week mon!

Back