• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MoA Jamaican scotch bonnets....

so...as a few of you know that when i came on here.. one of my mission was to be able to acquire some pods and or seeds of JAMAICAN SCOTCH BONNETs.... others came along to help me with seeds (smokemaster, midwestchilihead, jamison and GreenTea) but i had a hard time growing them due to various reasons.it was my first grow..

so anyways.. along came a guy name Steve954 who introduced us to the MoA (ministry of agriculture) Jamaican scotch bonnets...

again i am truly humbled and glad i am able to grow this pepper

got a couple germing in jiffy pucks.. and a couple in my aerogarden....
A8C9E3BC-3294-470E-8F73-B5DBE99692B2-2331-00000120D12149FF_zps98c86893.jpg

please feel free to post comment.. especially those who was honored to get these seeds....

and without further a do!!.. let us start a progress chart on this MoA Scotch bonnet pepper!!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
You crazy Walt. How many times a week you fill reservoir. ?!
Still alive. First time doing hydro this fashion
null_zps724153c5.jpg

It took root. New MoA clone.
null_zps92616ede.jpg

Hope I get pods by February !!

Hey Denniz! I'm topping off once a week and water change at one week. I found this yesterday and more are looking like this :D. Same pic different angle, hard too shoot LOL.

Hope you get those pods by February!

20131125_170648.jpg

20131125_170652.jpg

-Walt

I simply called up Bodles Research Centre.  They do charge 1,500JD for an oz (I think that's what they said), but I told them that I didn't need that many seeds.  So, they offered to just send me some at no charge.  So, I got myself some SB seeds right from the source!  No problem!

Ambiotic said:
I simply called up Bodles Research Centre.  They do charge 1,500JD for an oz (I think that's what they said), but I told them that I didn't need that many seeds.  So, they offered to just send me some at no charge.  So, I got myself some SB seeds right from the source!  No problem!
Still have seeds to share if you need some.

Haven't heard from Steve in a while. Hope all is well and with the others that got the seeds

I will be staring mine a few days before Christmas…..  Just finished making two pumpkin pies.  Will be making 2 leche flans tomorrow morning.
Christmas is just around the corner…Time flies.

Hmmmm pumpkin pie. Mmmmm flan. Good to know
I got a few fresh pods and sowed 70 seeds. Hoping I get a good germ rate and will have these as giveaways

I'll be sowing some MoA's tomorrow from seeds I received from a giveaway Jamison had done a couple of months ago. After looking through here I really wish I had started them when I originally had planned too. Beautiful looking plants and pods! One question though for a noob. Assuming I don't totally screw up, when the plants I'll have finally start getting flower buds, should I isolate them from my other varieties to try to maintain purity? 

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
If at all possible yes. But you are your own person. It's so hard to keep isolated unless like Jamison only had one kind growing. But it is encouraged
Awesome. I have limited space where I'm at, but I'm sure I can think of something to keep them as isolated as possible. This is 1 pepper I'm extremely excited to grow out.

You could put emptied tea bags over a select number of flowers...keeping track of those you isolated, using this technique.  Or use cheesecloth dividers (big squares of cheesecloth or similar fine material, that allows sun through, but not bugs and pollen) held inplace between plants using (bamboo) poles.  Just a couple of thoughts.

Ambiotic said:
You could put emptied tea bags over a select number of flowers...keeping track of those you isolated, using this technique.  Or use cheesecloth dividers (big squares of cheesecloth or similar fine material, that allows sun through, but not bugs) held inplace between plants using (bamboo) poles.  Just a couple of thoughts.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Got a few seeds planted this morning, so may have to try out both techniques when it's time. Appreciate it!

sowed 70 seeds (obtained from SAWYER via pods) after 6 days 21/70 seeds are looking like this

some folks will be able to get a head start on these come next year as they will be as giveaways.. =D

SichuaneseFoodFan said:
+1 where can I buy some seeds? or send a SASE?
Check with Steve594, KingDenniz, or anyone else who's posted here who has them. I have a few, but I haven't grown them yet. If you don't get them this year I will definitely send you some.

Ascool said:
Does anybody have seeds to sell? Would be fun to try grow these.
SichuaneseFoodFan said:
+1 where can I buy some seeds? or send a SASE?
I can provide non-isolated seeds for a small paypal contribution to defray the cost of postage and fuel to get to the P.O. PM me for details.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Stay tuned as I will be doing giveaways. I sowed 70 all to be given away. So far I have 62/70 cotys
DeNNiZ, be sure to let people know those are from non-isolated seeds. Given that peppers are self-fertile and I also had very few bees this year, I expect a high percentage will grow true. In any case, I'll be running my own test in 2014 to verify that.

Back