• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mooglog 2013/2014

The first round of seeds are soaked and sown. 
All chinenses to start off,  other species to start in a month or so.

7 Pot BrainStrain Red
7 Pot Burgundy
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot Jonah (spiky)
7 Pot Jonah Yellow
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Primo Orange
7 Pot SR Red
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Yellow (different source)
Aji Panca
Antillais Caribbean
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant f3
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Bih Jolokia
Black Naga
CGN 21500
Datil
Devils Tongue Yellow
Dorset Naga
Fatalii Chocolate
Fatalii Yellow
Guadalupe Black
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Green
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach
Habanero Peruvian White
Habanero Purple
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion F4
Nagabon Jolokia
Pimenta De Neyde
Seasoning Pepper (thanks Micca :) )
Snow White
THSC Naga 7
THSC Red Savina
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad 7Pot Barrack Pore
Trinidad Douglah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Wasp

Once they sprout they'll go into the new, bigger and hopefully better hydro system. 

Trippa said:
Where did you get the primo orange seeds from mega?? They look great
They were from semillas.  They do look amazing! 

But from the same Primo Orange packet of seeds I've gotten a plant that is most definitely a NOT.  First thought was Chocolate Bhut Jolokia but the shape isn't quite right.  I very tentatively ate half of a pod and it was mild.  Managed to eat two whole pods in a wrap with no cheese or anything to dilute the heat and it wasn't too hot.  For my tolerance that puts it on a scale around medium to hot level.  Not near Very hot, let alone Super hot. 

Based on all that I'd guess its an accidental seed that's been mixed in and not a cross or throwback.

That is also why I want to only have a few plants of fewer varieties next year.  When you have 100+ varieties each with only one plant you're going to be disappointed when every NOT is a variety lost.  If you get my meaning..

Also didn't take any photos today.  Too busy getting kids ready for going back to school. 

I did drench everything in wettable sulfur.  Could almost hear the screams of the mites.  :shh:

Mine are not liking the heat at all.  Some are wilting far more than they should and the leftovers in pots couldn't handle it and are done.  My seasoning pepper plant is doing fine, no pod rot or wilting.  I'm sure yours will come good when it cools down.

The hottest thing I've eaten is a Douglah.  Absolutely insane pain!  But I had eaten another pod just before so that probably made it worse.

Hey Moo the hottest thing I have eaten too is a Douglah. Man they are BRUTAL!!!!!

Those 7-pot Oranges are looking absolutely fantastic there too. Hey your 7-pot Primo is looking alot like mine, I think the version i got might be a bit unstable with the Bhut shape showing through.

Micca

Devv said:
I use the same thing for the little bastages, works really well!
:flamethrower:  Burn them !!

Micca302 said:
Mine are not liking the heat at all.  Some are wilting far more than they should and the leftovers in pots couldn't handle it and are done.  My seasoning pepper plant is doing fine, no pod rot or wilting.  I'm sure yours will come good when it cools down.

The hottest thing I've eaten is a Douglah.  Absolutely insane pain!  But I had eaten another pod just before so that probably made it worse.

Hey Moo the hottest thing I have eaten too is a Douglah. Man they are BRUTAL!!!!!

Those 7-pot Oranges are looking absolutely fantastic there too. Hey your 7-pot Primo is looking alot like mine, I think the version i got might be a bit unstable with the Bhut shape showing through.

Micca

I've gotten 3 primo plants to pod stage and none have been dead right, I think they are a bit unstable.  The Primo Oranges look great but they are all slightly small.  Still not complaning.

It's been another sunny hot week so lots of pods are ripening.  The single foliar feed of Calcium/Magnesium/Nitrogen did the trick and reduced the blossom end rot to nothing.  Wanted to do another but haven't had time and now the blotchy pods are starting to reappear.  Will sort it out this weekend hopefully.

Found a few minutes tonight to get a small harvest before got too dark to see. There is more ready and waiting to be picked. :)
gallery_3629_131_319559.jpg

gallery_3629_131_443282.jpg

Micca302 said:

Micca

the douglah IS brutal especially if you're not a seasoned pepper eater. One of the first few super hots i ever ate was a douglah a few months after I joined this forum and I actually got scared a few mins in because of the intense heat. Look at any douglah pepper eating vid on youtube.and most people agree :D

BTW, mega- I hate blossom end rot :( HATE!!! :evil:  happened to me before as well. Also, llooks like you got a good harvest of Jonahs. :hot:

Dot Com said:
the douglah IS brutal especially if you're not a seasoned pepper eater. One of the first few super hots i ever ate was a douglah a few months after I joined this forum and I actually got scared a few mins in because of the intense heat. Look at any douglah pepper eating vid on youtube.and most people agree :D

BTW, mega- I hate blossom end rot :( HATE!!! :evil:  happened to me before as well. Also, llooks like you got a good harvest of Jonahs. :hot:

Even for the seasoned ones too  :P . I was in a Chilli eating comp and had Bhuts, Scorpions then a Douglah and it was the douglah that did me in and everyone else that was left at that stage.

Hey Moo great pod pick there love those Orange Primo's and also the Jays Ghost Peach Pheeewwww

Micca

Nice harvest Moo... there is some good heat there. Them Douglahs are seriously hot... but imo one of the tastiest brown chillies around.

Nice harvest mega ..... I wish was harvesting even á third of those pods right now. That's probably been my total harvests since March last year :( ... Hopefully we get a long warm autumn so I can get some late season pods .... The jays peach was one I was really looking forward to ... Hopefully I get something from that plant anyway ... Great pods bro and glad you got on top of the BER (for now)

Damn nice harvest you're getting there Mega!

I'm way off getting anything yet. Only my TS CARDI yellow has pods. 6 now. Flowers on most others though. :D

Dot Com said:

Thanks.  I really like the look of the Jonahs.  This year my Jonahs are from saved seeds and they aren't doing as well as last year's stock seeds.  I deliberately chose the freakishly big and spiky pods to save, but of course that doesn't mean they are the best in other ways.

PIC 1 said:
Once again, nice harvest shot with labeling
Cheers.  Who knew photoshop could do more than put heads of friends on nude bodies !

Micca302 said:

Even for the seasoned ones too  :P . I was in a Chilli eating comp and had Bhuts, Scorpions then a Douglah and it was the douglah that did me in and everyone else that was left at that stage.

Hey Moo great pod pick there love those Orange Primo's and also the Jays Ghost Peach Pheeewwww

Micca
I might try another Dougie this weekend and see if my tolerance has grown :scared:

PeriPeri said:
Nice harvest Moo... there is some good heat there. Them Douglahs are seriously hot... but imo one of the tastiest brown chillies around.
Thanks I'll take your word for it.  I really can't taste anything with the heat.

Devv said:
Nice harvest!

I'm still months away...
That's because your not growing in the best hemisphere  ;) 

Trippa said:
Nice harvest mega ..... I wish was harvesting even á third of those pods right now. That's probably been my total harvests since March last year :( ... Hopefully we get a long warm autumn so I can get some late season pods .... The jays peach was one I was really looking forward to ... Hopefully I get something from that plant anyway ... Great pods bro and glad you got on top of the BER (for now)
Thanks.  I think I have a few more plants goin than your balcony though!   Don't you get a long harvest through Autumn on the Gold Coast?  I'd love to live somewhere tropical and grow all year round.

GA Growhead said:
Yes moo! Nice harvest and good news the calcium addition is working! Douglahs look wicked! Are the orange promos more yellow than orange?
Cheers. 
The Douglahs started out a bit weak but they've come on real strong.  Yes the Orange Primos are precisely yellow.  Couldn't help myself and picked them as soon as they turned from green.  I'll leave the next ones for a while and see if they go Orange.  Same thing with Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpions.  Just wanted to get the first "ripe" ones off.  

Shurbryn said:
Damn nice harvest you're getting there Mega!

I'm way off getting anything yet. Only my TS CARDI yellow has pods. 6 now. Flowers on most others though. :D
Going to cut it all up and dehydrate tonight.
Hope you get pods setting.  Haven't you had cold n rain over there?  Wouldn't mind some of that!   It was hot here but now temps here look to be about 30 and sunny for the next week, so there will be plenty more pods coming :D

megamoo said:
Going to cut it all up and dehydrate tonight.
Hope you get pods setting.  Haven't you had cold n rain over there?  Wouldn't mind some of that!   It was hot here but now temps here look to be about 30 and sunny for the next week, so there will be plenty more pods coming :D

It's been a weird few weeks man. We were in the 40's then down to 20's and back into mid 30's now. It's all over the shop.

Shurbryn said:

It's been a weird few weeks man. We were in the 40's then down to 20's and back into mid 30's now. It's all over the shop.
Its been a mild weather season this year on average.  No extreme winds or highs and lows.  My plants aren't as big but I'm getting good harvests.

Devv said:
But I will be in 6 weeks :shh:
Hope you get some good chilli action :)

Completed part 2 of the harvest and picked everything ripe.  There are more pods about to ripen but after that there will be a gap.  It might be because of the mites or heat but there are few new buds and flowers.  I gave everything another CalMagNit foliar spray and there are signs of new growth so if all goes well in a month or two I'll have another massive harvest. 

I used the dehydrator trays to keep track of different varieties as I picked so they didn't get confused.
gallery_3629_131_299176.jpg

gallery_3629_131_156543.jpg

gallery_3629_131_470365.jpg

gallery_3629_131_527009.jpg

gallery_3629_131_501777.jpg

PeriPeri said:
Awesome :) Great selection and great looking pods my friend! Well done!
Thanks :)  I've avoided lots of mistakes because I did them last time.

Rainman said:
Your harvests never cease to amaze me or fill me with envy! Great photos once more Moo.
Envy was what I was going for ;)

Trippa said:
sweet .... very sweet ... your best season yet mega??  Its looking that way so far
Thanks Trippa.  It's got a way to go to beat last year quantity but the quality is right up there.

I've filled those dehydrator trays twice with processed chillies.  I've got it set up in my bedroom so I can sleep in the aroma.  Living the chilli dream.  :cool:     When a load of superhots first goes in there its some pretty intense aromatherapy.  I highly recommend it. :D

Pictures.
You can see that there is a good area of the garden bed.  It could be because of the amount of sun it receives, or.. those on the left are 2 Yellow 7 Pots and 4 Jonahs all from saved seeds., whereas the big bushy ones on the right are from bought seeds.  The very tall one is a Primo Orange.
gallery_3629_137_76020.jpg

Jonahs are just not bushing up compared to the others.  You can see the morning sun on the Yellow 7 Pots at the bottom of the picture.
gallery_3629_137_639800.jpg

Behind the shed the final chinense replacements are doing very well.
gallery_3629_137_461502.jpg

The hedge is bushing up like crazy.  The plants under the shadecloth are climbing above each other to get more light.
gallery_3629_137_523187.jpg

If you can pick it out the 7Pot Brainstrain overwinter has sprouted new healthy leaves.  The wettable sulfur I sprayed everything with for mites is also a fungicide.  Still got some recovering to do but looking better.
gallery_3629_137_42444.jpg

This part of the hedge is production gold.
gallery_3629_137_233312.jpg

When I was stemming and deseeding for the dehydrator the Jay's Peach Ghost Scoprion pods had an amazing smell.  Got a whole lot ripening :)  They might even make the list for next season!
gallery_3629_137_99139.jpg

In contrast to all the awesomeness green growth are the non-chinenses. They are slowly recovering after being transplanted from lots of shade into lots of sun and heat, and an anti-mite sulfur treatment at the same time.   On most of them the big fat leaves have died and burnt off and new smaller leaves are sprouting.  With a week of 33C ish temps it was probably the worst time to do it but I ran out of time.
gallery_3629_137_541163.jpg

This is typical of what is happening.
gallery_3629_137_174949.jpg

Some have just kept on growing as normal like this Bali Long.
gallery_3629_137_253415.jpg

Might have to harvest again this weekend.

Back