• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mooglog 2013/2014

The first round of seeds are soaked and sown. 
All chinenses to start off,  other species to start in a month or so.

7 Pot BrainStrain Red
7 Pot Burgundy
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot Jonah (spiky)
7 Pot Jonah Yellow
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Primo Orange
7 Pot SR Red
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Yellow (different source)
Aji Panca
Antillais Caribbean
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant f3
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Bih Jolokia
Black Naga
CGN 21500
Datil
Devils Tongue Yellow
Dorset Naga
Fatalii Chocolate
Fatalii Yellow
Guadalupe Black
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Green
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach
Habanero Peruvian White
Habanero Purple
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion F4
Nagabon Jolokia
Pimenta De Neyde
Seasoning Pepper (thanks Micca :) )
Snow White
THSC Naga 7
THSC Red Savina
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad 7Pot Barrack Pore
Trinidad Douglah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Wasp

Once they sprout they'll go into the new, bigger and hopefully better hydro system. 

PaulG said:
outrageous, brother!
:cool:

Pinoy83 said:
woooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..........lots of babies and pods :dance: :dance: :dance:

I know right ! :onfire:

Jonah is still bouncing back but there might just be signs of mites returning?  Might need to nuke it again, or even pull it out and switch one of the overperfoming pots into the spot.  Not decided yet.
gallery_3629_119_359192.jpg

Douglah in a pot.
gallery_3629_119_211561.jpg

Primo Orange in a pot is looking very cool.
gallery_3629_119_186723.jpg

Habanero Mustard.
gallery_3629_119_69959.jpg

Habanero Chocolate
gallery_3629_119_164681.jpg

Antillais Caribbean
gallery_3629_119_276756.jpg

Pimenta De Neyde in a pot is ahead of the one in ground. 
gallery_3629_119_94641.jpg

Chilaca Pasilla overwinter.  He's a big fella!
gallery_3629_119_299247.jpg

7 Pot Brainstrain's first pod seems to have stopped growing.
gallery_3629_119_55579.jpg

Lucky there are more. :)
gallery_3629_119_530977.jpg

Pinoy83 said:
your yard is like a pepper wonderland :shocked: :shocked:
That's what I was going for ;)

PaulG said:
Okay, Moo, things are looking very nice there.  The 7 Pot BrainStrain
bush is awesome; should just produce like crazy!
Hope so.

GA Growhead said:
Pods are looking amazing! TS moruga is picture perfect. Same fate so far for me. Hope to get a good one this year with new seeds.
I don't know if the moruga pods last year were wrong because the plant was stuck at the back of others and didn't get enough sun... or the seeds were messed up.  This year it is from the same seed packet and looking good, but with much better position.

The same sort of thing is happening with my 7 Pot Primo, but it may be because the strain doesn't spit out perfectly formed pods every time.

Very nice pods Moo. It'll be fun to watch them change color... and educational for me. I'm growing a lot of these varieties for the first time this year and it's nice to see what to expect.

I'm going with a much closer spacing on my plants as I don't have a lot of space. Luckily I've never seen spider mite so far, just tons of earwigs and aphids, both of which I'm getting better at controlling. A little worried about rot but that wasn't a huge problem this past season.

Gonna keep watching!

Looks like your plants are starting to get into full swing there Moo.
Great poddage and pretty cool looking Orange Primo's. Will be keen to see what colour they end up.

Micca

maximumcapsicum said:
Very nice pods Moo. It'll be fun to watch them change color... and educational for me. I'm growing a lot of these varieties for the first time this year and it's nice to see what to expect.

I'm going with a much closer spacing on my plants as I don't have a lot of space. Luckily I've never seen spider mite so far, just tons of earwigs and aphids, both of which I'm getting better at controlling. A little worried about rot but that wasn't a huge problem this past season.

Gonna keep watching!
Thanks.   It's awesome when they start changing colour. :D

I've never had a problem with spider mites, (two spotted mite is another story :( )  If you search for plant diseases and such online you get a lot of results for spider mites, which I believe are primarily related to marijuana cultivation.  So I wouldn't worry about them unless you actually see them webbing up your plants.  Aphids on the other hand are very common among many plants including chilli peppers.

Good luck getting your plants to produce :)

Micca302 said:
Looks like your plants are starting to get into full swing there Moo.
Great poddage and pretty cool looking Orange Primo's. Will be keen to see what colour they end up.

Micca
You never know until they turn.  I had yellow morugas that turned out red and not properly moruga shaped last year.  
I have one Orange Primo plant with long pointed pods forming and another with the cool stinger ones.  I'll put up some comparison shots this week. 

I think relatively new crosses, and plants with recessive gene expressions like yellow and orange are more likely to spit out NOT pods.  Not necessarily because the seeds are false but because the genetics aren't stable. 

How is your grow going Micca?  Are you doing a glog?

Nah no blog.
Not used to this blog thingo but suppose I should have a look sometime.

I started my season off pretty darn late so a lot of them are still in grow mode.
Was counting on it being another scorcher summer and getting pods in autumn/winter.
From what I have heard I think we might be back to our normal summers.
I got some germination from my orange primo and if they look anything like yours will be happy.
The jungle will be starting soon with any luck.

Micca

Just outa curiosity Mega, how do you go about stabilizing a variety? Isolating it (fabric over flowers for a season or two?), rebreeding it when you lose the traits you like? Just curious.

At least 8 generations of isolated crossing/back crossing until you start getting 99% homozygous genetic outcomes on subsequent plants ... And even after 30 generations you can still get genetic freaks from point mutations or recessive genes ...

maximumcapsicum said:
Just outa curiosity Mega, how do you go about stabilizing a variety? Isolating it (fabric over flowers for a season or two?), rebreeding it when you lose the traits you like? Just curious.
 What Trippa said :)

Isolated breeding over time will reduce the chance of a throwback.  If you have a lab and sequence the DNA you can do it quicker..... I believe.

108Mob said:
Nice Looking good Megamoo what did you use to nuke for the mites ?
Thanks :)  Wettable sulfur.  I don't think it got them all because there is some suspicious twisty new growth.  Could be nothing but too early to tell. 
The best solution is to release predatory mites but I'm holding off a decision until all plants are in the ground.  Then if needed I can do everything at once.

108Mob said:
alright i see would this work ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-lb-SULFUR-POWDER-99-5-PURE-FREE-PRIORITY-SHIPPING-/251358955094?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a86294656

also what was your mix ratio and how often did you apply ?

thanks
I don't know about that one, it seems a bit general.  You might be better off going to a gardening store.

I used this
http://www.manutec.com.au/default.asp?pageid=5&template=PRODUCTCAT&catid=28&catalogue=6&prodid=MTO0557

I know that its important to use wettable sulfur and not just regular sulphur that is sold for nutrient deficiencies etc. because it is less damaging to beneficial insects.

You have to mix it up and spray every surface you can get to.  Says to apply it every two weeks, and not when its too hot or it can damage the plants.  It brings the numbers of mites right down but because they are so small you can never really get them all.

This season I sealed up and threw out one seedling in a pot that had mite signs, and cut off almost all of the other affected plant in the ground to try and ensure I covered every single surface and got all the mites.  This isn't really an option if you have a mature plant. 

ok gotcha i got hit hard with mites last grow season so i will be ready this season with the wettable sulfur to hit them with also did you spray all plants or just the ones that showed signs of damage ?

Back