• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Moving to Virginia

How's everyone doing? Still sitting on ice packs? :onfire:

Well, I haven't been around all that much, but I'm still alive. Graduation/Commission is only 8 days away, then I'm on 3 weeks of leave that don't count, and finally I report back to Newport, RI for SWOS. (Surface Warfare Officer School) That lasts 3 weeks and then I'm moving down to Norfolk, VA for about 2-3 years to work on the USS Ramage (DDG 61) which is a guided missile destroyer. http://www.ramage.navy.mil/default.aspx

Anyone here from VA? Know of any good restaurants/hot sauce shops/events? Didn't see any posts in the Virginia section.

I hope you post graduation pics of you in your dress whites...

never stationed in norfolk...but there are members here from Va...

Hey xgra and for starters congrats on graduation!I live in the charlottesville area and not real sure with the norfolk area.Been 15 yrs sincwe I went through there.As for hot sauce shops the best 1 I know of is in gatlinburg about 4 1/2 hrs from here.So many types it`ll make you go brain dead with awe!I`m sure you`ll be able to find plenty to do in the Richmond area and in Virginia beach area also.Probebly an hour away.Best of luck and thanks for your dedication and service.

Good to see you on here man. I haven't talked to you in a LOOOOOOOOOONG time! Sounds like things are working out for you in the Navy as well. Like AJ said. Send some pics and thank you for serving.:)

Thanks..I'll be sure to post some once I have them. I hate wearing the white uniforms though..always paranoid about getting something on them! :rolleyes:

The first thing a lot of us did was go out and eat pizza. :rolleyes: Luckily, I still had some Blair's Nitro in the car and put some of that on my slices.

Hey it's lovely to see you back here. Don't spill any sauce down your white uniform, even on coloured tops it's a real bummer to get out. Just keep safe.

Just spoke with my dad. He says (and I'll back him up on this because I've been to these places too) the best place to go is Virgina Beach (about a 15-20 minute drive from the navel base in Norfolk). The Raven is the first place and that's a big navy hang out. The second place is Abby Road.

xgrafcorex said:
The first thing a lot of us did was go out and eat pizza. :rolleyes: Luckily, I still had some Blair's Nitro in the car and put some of that on my slices.
I keep a jar of hotpepper powder in my truck at all times too. Also, yes messing up your uniform can be a MESS!! Luckily my Class A's were green. White..........now that would show EVERYTHING!! Also, good to see you back man.:cool:

Thanks for the advice IGG. I still haven't narrowed it down just yet..

Thought I'd let you all know though..I graduated/commissioned yesterday morning and am now Ensign xgrafcorex! :hell:

Some pictures..

47b8d720b3127cce98548a34eb570000004.jpg

The night before graduation we had a cocktail party with family and staff. This is our class Drill Instructor giving us a brief hard time.

47b8d720b3127cce98548a38eb5b0000006.jpg

Class 20-08 with our class Officer, Chief, DI, the CO of the training command, and a Vice Admiral (Chief of Naval Personnel) that spoke at the ceremony.

47b8d720b3127cce98548a336a600000006.jpg

My Dad giving me the oath.

47b8d720b3127cce98548a256a760000007.jpg

The old man and myself.

Back