• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Mustard Recommendations

I grew up with spicy brown mustard. Anyone have any special go to mustards that they like? Sauceman51 told me he makes his own line. Does anyone else? I always wanted to learn myself. I would love to make a gritty brown spicy mustard.

heheheeh
Frenchs_Mustard_Classic_Yellow_Lo_Res.jpg

Lowensenff and Colmans are 2 of my favorites that are more internationally known. But mustard is actually one of the very few things that we have some excellent kinds of here in the Netherlands... My favorite mustard from the Netherlands is Doesburg, which is a very coarse mustard. Good stuff....

imaguitargod said:
Next to cows, mustard is the most evil thing in the world.

I'd say Mayo is the most evil concoction of all time. Mayo is the most unholy of all condiments. Period.

Do not defy me. I have spoken.

andres said:
I'd say Mayo is the most evil concoction of all time. Mayo is the most unholy of all condiments. Period.

If you have it as is, yes it is quite hideous, but if you learn how to use it, I think you will realize that it does make certain foods come to life. Mac salad, potato salad, cole slaw all would be nothing without mayo. Not to mention tuna, chicken and egg salads to name a few more. My favorite use mayo with is with hot sauce. I use any ol' hot sauce, take a can of chicken and add mayo to make an awesome tasting chicken salad. Unless of course you find a hot sauce that makes it inferior.

imaguitargod said:
Next to cows, mustard is the most evil thing in the world.

Phew!!!

We agree on too many things. It was starting to worry me!

With all due respect. HOPS are a beautiful thing, (the bittering agent in beer)

And the mustard seed is a gift from the GODS...

I have no less than 35 go to mustards.

(HOW DO YOU EAT BRATWURST WITHOUT MUSTARD??? *tell me that you don't like brats and I will laugh at your lack of enjoyment of life's simple and basic pleasures*)

Colemans's is BOMBASTIC
Jack daniel's actually has a nice line of mustards. Not the least of which is a chipotle with some heat.
GREY POUPON is no Farging joke.

Any whole grain is worth a look.

Oh, and I tried making my own habanero mustard once with mustard seed, water, vinegar, etc. Followed the Alton Brown recipe, but added chopped habaneros. Did NOT turn out good.

Buddah said:
I grew up with spicy brown mustard. Anyone have any special go to mustards that they like? Sauceman51 told me he makes his own line. Does anyone else? I always wanted to learn myself. I would love to make a gritty brown spicy mustard.

THPA '07

MUSTARD
1st - Anija's - Mom's Original Recipe Finnish Style Spicy Mustard | www.anijas.com
2nd - Anija's - Twice Bitten Chipotle Paprika Spicy Mustard | www.anijas.com
3rd - Crazy Mother Pucker's - Maniacal Mustard | www.crazymotherpuckers.com

andres said:

I *love* Mayo! goes well with anything! :)

thehotpepper.com said:
THPA '07

MUSTARD
1st - Anija's - Mom's Original Recipe Finnish Style Spicy Mustard | www.anijas.com
2nd - Anija's - Twice Bitten Chipotle Paprika Spicy Mustard | www.anijas.com
3rd - Crazy Mother Pucker's - Maniacal Mustard | www.crazymotherpuckers.com

Yeah, I saw Anija's Spicy Mustard link here on THP. I wrote it down for future reference. The Mustard Museum link is an awesome reference to use to find the mustard of your dreams. Lists all the past Napa Valley Winners in every category, and boy are there a lot of categories.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to look into the Alton Brown recipe. I love his show and must(ard) have missed that one. :lol:

Buddah said:
Yeah, I saw Anija's Spicy Mustard link here on THP. I wrote it down for future reference. The Mustard Museum link is an awesome reference to use to find the mustard of your dreams. Lists all the past Napa Valley Winners in every category, and boy are there a lot of categories.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to look into the Alton Brown recipe. I love his show and must(ard) have missed that one. :lol:

Seriously, you HAVE to try Anija's....seriously one of the best mustards i've ever had.

And it's really sneaky too. It goes in sweet, so you load up on it next round, then it nukes your nose and the roof of your mouth in one mean stroke. And that's just the original Finnish style stuff.

Sickmont said:
Seriously, you HAVE to try Anija's....seriously one of the best mustards i've ever had.

And it's really sneaky too. It goes in sweet, so you load up on it next round, then it nukes your nose and the roof of your mouth in one mean stroke. And that's just the original Finnish style stuff.

It is on my list for Jungle Jim's when I am there for the Weekend of Fire. At least I hope to be there. After today things are in doubt. :(

Back