• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My 2014 list and hopefully GLOG

I`m going to try and keep a GLOG this year. In the past I`ve felt that if I did a GLOG I`d get bored with keeping it up, so we`ll see how it goes.

In the mean time, this is my current grow list for 2014. It may change sometime in the next 10 minutes. I decided to go with mostly weird, relatively unknown stuff  :party:

The Supers

7-pot Brown 
7-pot Brown (Red phenotype)
7-pot Savannah 
7-pot Rennie 
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend 
Chocolate Moruga 
Brown Moruga 
Bubblegum 7-pot F4 
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw 
Douglah x Butch T F5 Brown 
Douglah x Butch T F5 Red 
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion x Butch T Yellow 
Chocolate Bhut x Yellow 7-pot Brown 
SB7J 
UBSC (unidentified brain strain cross)

The C.chinense varieties.

Wild Brazil 
Cumari do para 
Mata Frade
Bode Roxa 
Cheiro Roxa
CGN 21500 
Fidalgo Roxa 
Cabaca Roxa 
Fidalga Amerelia 
Focinho de Porco
Galapagos Large Red Habanero PI 585278 
Limo Blanco-CGN 19193
Lemon Drop Selection-CGN 17036
Lemon Drop-CGN 19211
Chili Blanco-CGN 17224
Small Bell Chilly-CGN 23766
Scarlett Lantern-CGN 23233
Surinam 8-CGN 24331
Pimenta De Neyde
Red Squash-CGN 17021
PI 653748
PI 441637 Red
PI 281417
PI 224444
PI 260491
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Bahamian Goat
Unknown Peruvian Aji (direct from Peru)
CGN 21566   
CGN 22163     
CGN 23257    
Cereja da Amapá       
GRIF 9293    
Macapá Red        
CGN 23255       
CGN 16994 Long   
Uvilla grande PI 281393
PI 159236

C.frutescens

Wild Peach
GRIF 9265
Ndungu-CGN 21554
CGN 17020
Malagueta-CGN 23211
Aji Chuncho-CGN 22792
Lombok-CGN 22817
Chunpepe- PI406947 

C.annuum

Elefant
Macedonian corker

C.baccatum

Queen Laurie 
Pimienta Trapadiera Do Werner
Pitanga laranha 
Rainforest 
PI 159252   
Aji Ethiopian Fire   
Peruvian orange PI446900            

C.pubescens

Guatemalan Small Orange Manzano (Northgate Market)
Smaller Hot Red Rocoto (Direct from Lima, Peru)
Large Red Rocoto (Direct from Cuzco, Peru)
Rocoto CAP 217          
Rocoto PI355812         
Rocoto CAP 867 red      
Rocoto PI585273         
Rocoto Costa Rican Red 
Bolivian Red Rocoto (Direct from Tarija, Bolivia) 

Wilds

C.baccatum var.baccatum
PI 596059
PI 439528

C.GALAPAGOENSE 

C.CHACOENSE

4 or 5 kinds

C.EXILE 

"Cobindo"

C PRAETERMISSUM

Cumari Pollux

C. SPECIES

PI 446902

C. CARDANESII

CGN20497 (later in the year)
C.cardanesii (direct from Bolivia. Could be eximium)

C EXIMIUM 

CAP 1530
CGN 21502
CGN 19196
CGN 24332
C.eximium from UK

ROCOPICA (Ulupica x C.pubescens)

Large Rocopica 
Small Rocopica #1
Small Rocopica #2

C RHOMBOIDEUM 

C.TOVARII

C.LANCEOLATUM

Hey Nigel, wow that is a great collection, thanks for sharing the photo s.
I have been looking for someone who is growing Charapita also. It has taken over a month for mine to germinate, the very last ones too, and now two weeks on I am still looking at the cotyledon with little or no growth. Was wondering is this your first experience with this variety?

Rory (newcomer/beginner)

rory said:
Hey Nigel, wow that is a great collection, thanks for sharing the photo s.
I have been looking for someone who is growing Charapita also. It has taken over a month for mine to germinate, the very last ones too, and now two weeks on I am still looking at the cotyledon with little or no growth. Was wondering is this your first experience with this variety?

Rory (newcomer/beginner)
I have not grown Charapita before, no. stc3248 on THP is Mr Charapita. Check out his GLOG from 2013 and look in awe at his gigantic plant!

I have not grown Charapita before, no. stc3248 on THP is Mr Charapita. Check out his GLOG from 2013 and look in awe at his gigantic plant!

How do I do that??

rory said:
How do I do that??
There is a search function at the top right of the page. Go back to the Home page and type in stc3248 charapita. You `ll get a few photos and links to Shane`s 2013 GLOG. If you have problems, let me know.

CGN 21500. 

Fidalgo Roxa

PI 653748. C.chinense.

Cabaca Roxa. c.chinense. The darkest seedling I have!

Mata frade.

Good Stuff Nigel.I envy the growing season you can work with.I am watching your glog because I don't want to miss your reviews.And from the looks of it we are in for a treat.

This one is Bode Roxa. Not sure about whether it is true or now, as there is quite a bit of variation in the seedlings, especially with respect to colour. 

Red Rocoto - collected at the head of the Inca Trail leading up to Machu Picchu.

Cili Goronong

Yaki blue. I`m also seeing lots of variation here, too. I think the cross is only F2, so no big surprise!

Macapa Red. CGN 20802 with 3 cotyledons

Awesome grow, some of my reaper and 7pot jonah seedlings have leaves that have a tappering purple pigment like the Boda Roxa. What is that a sign of? could the seeds have been in the wrong package or something? stress? nutes?

7potquezada said:
Awesome grow, some of my reaper and 7pot jonah seedlings have leaves that have a tappering purple pigment like the Boda Roxa. What is that a sign of? could the seeds have been in the wrong package or something? stress? nutes?
It`s usually a response to the light intensity. Some varieties produce the pigments naturally in normal light, others produce it as a kind of "sunscreen" when the light is too intense. To get such light levels, I expect you are growing under lights. If that is true, try moving the lights further from the plants. Is it warm enough to put the seedlings outdoors for a few hours yet?

Nigel said:
It`s usually a response to the light intensity. Some varieties produce the pigments naturally in normal light, others produce it as a kind of "sunscreen" when the light is too intense. To get such light levels, I expect you are growing under lights. If that is true, try moving the lights further from the plants. Is it warm enough to put the seedlings outdoors for a few hours yet?
Thank you! Actually yes they're under t5's. And I'm starting to harden them off in the shadier areas of my greenhouse. I started with 2 then yesterday I did 4 hours, today I'll do 5. They seem to be taking it very well. No direct sunlight yet though, idk how long they need to be hardened off for til they can handle it.

7potquezada said:
Thank you! Actually yes they're under t5's. And I'm starting to harden them off in the shadier areas of my greenhouse. I started with 2 then yesterday I did 4 hours, today I'll do 5. They seem to be taking it very well. No direct sunlight yet though, idk how long they need to be hardened off for til they can handle it.
They can go into filtered sunlight right away. If you have some 40-50% shade cloth, that will help you control the light reaching the plants. If not, get some, it`s very useful stuff.

Nigel said:
They can go into filtered sunlight right away. If you have some 40-50% shade cloth, that will help you control the light reaching the plants. If not, get some, it`s very useful stuff.
Awesome! Thank you! I actually got a little bold and put the in the filtered sun areas today for the remaining 3hrs and they did great.

Quick update pics and a learning experience.

Ok, I`ve been leaving the seedling trays outside 24/7 for the last few weeks. Outside temps were 75+ day, 55 night. Seedlings were in full sun around 6 hours a day. Other than a couple of plants with sunburn, they all seemed ok. Then we had what, for San Diego, was a cold snap. 60-62 day temps, 50 night. Of course, I watered everything just before the temps dropped. WTF, I thought, they`ll be fine. And in large part they were and are. However, I lost a seedling to damping off fungus. Just one, but I hate damping off fungus more than any other problem. So, beware leaving your seedlings in too cold temps when they are wet. I shoved them back under lights with a near hurricane-force fan for a few days to dry out the media. They are back outside today.

C.pubescens and C.annuum Tray

C.chinense Tray #1

C.chinense Tray #2

Mixed tray. C.chinense, C.frutescens, C.baccatum (started 3 weeks later than the others)

In the last tray I sowed some new varieties about 7 days ago in some spare places. Just can`t leave things alone, can I???

Anyone ever seen this before? 2 growth nodes from the seedling after their cotyledons. The variety is PI 159236 (C.chinense). 

meatfreak said:
Looking good, Nigel. Although it looks like the plants in the first pictures bottom right need some magnesium ;)
Thanks!

That is a cucumber relative from Bolivia, called Achocha. It does need some nutrients, but I`ll pot it up today or tomorrow in real soil. 

You're making a great go of it for your first GLOG!  More fun than you anticipated, no?  By the way, how many Bahamian Goats did you plant?

Looking good Nigel! I have seen two nodes after the coty's before. Usually it is due to conjoined twins...which doesn't look like the case with yours because they almost always have 4 coty's. Other than that, some slight damage or a mutation that causes it. It will be a cool plant...

Back