• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My 2014 list and hopefully GLOG

I`m going to try and keep a GLOG this year. In the past I`ve felt that if I did a GLOG I`d get bored with keeping it up, so we`ll see how it goes.

In the mean time, this is my current grow list for 2014. It may change sometime in the next 10 minutes. I decided to go with mostly weird, relatively unknown stuff  :party:

The Supers

7-pot Brown 
7-pot Brown (Red phenotype)
7-pot Savannah 
7-pot Rennie 
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend 
Chocolate Moruga 
Brown Moruga 
Bubblegum 7-pot F4 
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw 
Douglah x Butch T F5 Brown 
Douglah x Butch T F5 Red 
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion x Butch T Yellow 
Chocolate Bhut x Yellow 7-pot Brown 
SB7J 
UBSC (unidentified brain strain cross)

The C.chinense varieties.

Wild Brazil 
Cumari do para 
Mata Frade
Bode Roxa 
Cheiro Roxa
CGN 21500 
Fidalgo Roxa 
Cabaca Roxa 
Fidalga Amerelia 
Focinho de Porco
Galapagos Large Red Habanero PI 585278 
Limo Blanco-CGN 19193
Lemon Drop Selection-CGN 17036
Lemon Drop-CGN 19211
Chili Blanco-CGN 17224
Small Bell Chilly-CGN 23766
Scarlett Lantern-CGN 23233
Surinam 8-CGN 24331
Pimenta De Neyde
Red Squash-CGN 17021
PI 653748
PI 441637 Red
PI 281417
PI 224444
PI 260491
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Bahamian Goat
Unknown Peruvian Aji (direct from Peru)
CGN 21566   
CGN 22163     
CGN 23257    
Cereja da Amapá       
GRIF 9293    
Macapá Red        
CGN 23255       
CGN 16994 Long   
Uvilla grande PI 281393
PI 159236

C.frutescens

Wild Peach
GRIF 9265
Ndungu-CGN 21554
CGN 17020
Malagueta-CGN 23211
Aji Chuncho-CGN 22792
Lombok-CGN 22817
Chunpepe- PI406947 

C.annuum

Elefant
Macedonian corker

C.baccatum

Queen Laurie 
Pimienta Trapadiera Do Werner
Pitanga laranha 
Rainforest 
PI 159252   
Aji Ethiopian Fire   
Peruvian orange PI446900            

C.pubescens

Guatemalan Small Orange Manzano (Northgate Market)
Smaller Hot Red Rocoto (Direct from Lima, Peru)
Large Red Rocoto (Direct from Cuzco, Peru)
Rocoto CAP 217          
Rocoto PI355812         
Rocoto CAP 867 red      
Rocoto PI585273         
Rocoto Costa Rican Red 
Bolivian Red Rocoto (Direct from Tarija, Bolivia) 

Wilds

C.baccatum var.baccatum
PI 596059
PI 439528

C.GALAPAGOENSE 

C.CHACOENSE

4 or 5 kinds

C.EXILE 

"Cobindo"

C PRAETERMISSUM

Cumari Pollux

C. SPECIES

PI 446902

C. CARDANESII

CGN20497 (later in the year)
C.cardanesii (direct from Bolivia. Could be eximium)

C EXIMIUM 

CAP 1530
CGN 21502
CGN 19196
CGN 24332
C.eximium from UK

ROCOPICA (Ulupica x C.pubescens)

Large Rocopica 
Small Rocopica #1
Small Rocopica #2

C RHOMBOIDEUM 

C.TOVARII

C.LANCEOLATUM

Nigel said:
thanks Goerge, very kind of you. I`ll be doing in-ground and container this year. We have a LOT of gophers here, so in-ground is a bit risky, to say the least, but two of everything in pots, then the rest in-ground seems like a good plan. At least it does today. I might change my mind tomorrow..... :P

Hi Jim. My light set-up. Hmmmmmm. Last year it caused quite a bit of consternation around here. Ok, my Wife was pissed. Really pissed. I had a ton of T5s, 2 very large incubators (a big no-no) with temp and humidity control, some big CFLs grow lights (105W, 6500K). Oh, and a very large electricity bill every month for 3 months. Did I say how pissed my Wife was???

I think my grow lights came in at around $120-140 a month. I`ve been told recently that I can`t do that again. More than once, actually. 

Just going to go with some smaller CFL bulbs (65W, 5500K) and plenty of reflectors this year. If if alters our electricity bill by more than 10% I might be looking for a new home............. :confused:

Ta-Dah. First sprout. I only sowed these 3 days ago.

Unfortunately, it isn`t a Capsicum. This is a curcubit called Achocha in Bolivia. I got the seeds from Bolivia, too. 

Ah well, at least it`s something!!!

i have heard of this it is supposed to be a very good and hardy cucumber thats grows huge plants

More seeds up today. Only 7 days for Pubes - I`m liking that a lot!!!

Pubescens

Rocoto San Isidro 
Mini Rocoto - PI 387838 
Rocoto PI 355812 

Annuums

Blackbird's Eye - CGN 21474 
Christmas Baby - CGN 17000 
Coral Reef - CGN 20813 
Urfa biber 
Syrian Aleppo 

Photos tomorrow!

Looking good Nigel! That Lite Warrior is good stuff, I just started using it myself this year and have had good results. I still use 3/4" of Jiffy on top for fast seed germination, probably more habit now than needed. 

Looking good Nigel. I tried the Light Warrior this year amongst other seed starting mediums and it's easily my favourite so far. Agree on the lights too. My wife was not happy with our electricity bill this past month. Though switching from peppers for me to tomatoes for her helped ease that a bit. 
Need to get one back on you too lol. Sorry about the Ashes mate. Wish I would've been able to see some of the games though. 

MeatHead1313 said:
Looking good Nigel. I tried the Light Warrior this year amongst other seed starting mediums and it's easily my favourite so far. Agree on the lights too. My wife was not happy with our electricity bill this past month. Though switching from peppers for me to tomatoes for her helped ease that a bit. 
Need to get one back on you too lol. Sorry about the Ashes mate. Wish I would've been able to see some of the games though. 
The Ashes? What are they???

Nah, good on yer team mate, they played great cricket and Mitchell Johnson finally became the bowler I thought he could be. I assume you saw he just destroyed South Africa in the first test. 

Nigel said:
The Ashes? What are they???

Nah, good on yer team mate, they played great cricket and Mitchell Johnson finally became the bowler I thought he could be. I assume you saw he just destroyed South Africa in the first test. 
Yeah I was glad to see Johnson finally live up to his potential. Been a long time coming. England should bounce back pretty quickly though. 

Here`s the pubs/annuum tray. 

And C.chinense tray #1

C.chinense Tray #2

Germ rates have been very good. Overall, probably around 80%, but that`s because of a few that are 1/5 or 2/6. 

Here`s a few seedling pics, just to bore you all a little more.... :rolleyes:

These are really cool seedlings - Mata frade.

First Yaki blue seedling!!!

The Windmill (not the varieties real name!) - PI 273429

CGN 23233. Wingspan of an Eagle!!!

Red Rocoto - from the Peru seed package, Lima Peru.

Mini-Rocoto  PI 387838

Syrian Aleppo

Another one with the Mini Rocoto to watch...been eyeing that one for a while. Will have to see how you like them!

Everything looking great...so organized, real pro stuff there Nigel!

stc3248 said:
Another one with the Mini Rocoto to watch...been eyeing that one for a while. Will have to see how you like them!

Everything looking great...so organized, real pro stuff there Nigel!
Only got 1/5 of the mini-Rocoto to germinate, but it`s very strong. I`ll keep my finger`s crossed that I`ll be able to send some your way. I have 3 or 4 seeds left, just in case you can persuade El Jefe!!!

Thanks for the comments, Shane. 

Portuge said:
Nigel you better go cool off your hands cause they are :onfire:  from taking those pics...  Looking good Nigel :woohoo:
Thanks Man, I`m blushing!

No can do on adding anything else...the growdown plants already broke that camel's back. I am just interested for future seasons. Thank you and I may take you up on the seeds later based on your review. 

Hey Nigel, Things look like they are doing Ok for you, I got my light bill this month and was happy to see that it was less than the prior month,   when my bill hit $170 I start cutting back on the heat, but I keep my seedlings warm and happy, while I'm cold and sad, not really, We have had some cold days here, but things are starting to warm up some, so my bill was only $138 this time around.
I didn't get the T5 setup I wanted for my seedling as the 4ft x 6 bulbs, were more than I wanted to spend, so I just picked up a 2 bulb T8 set up which isn't quite strong enough, so I will most likely get another one unless it warms up enough for them to go outside then everything will be put in a shady spot for a few days to harden off then I'll move everything to full sunlight which will drop my electric bill down to $90 or less.
I'll be glad to see them go outside as I can control the aphid problems I have been fighting since November when I brought in the plants I wanted to overwinter. I washed the plants down good and then sprayed them down with a insecticide spray and all was well for a month then I started to see them again and it's been an uphill battle with them every since. 
Next year will be better as I'm not going to overwinter any plants except for the rare wild species I want to keep and I will cut back from the 80 or so pepper plants to just 30 or less which will include my sweet peppers. that will give me more room for my tomatoes, eggplants and some other plants I want to start early.
Well Like I said your grow looks great, I can't wait to see them all grown up they should look fantastic by then.

A few photo updates.

Pubescens and Annuum Tray

C.chinense Tray #1

C.chinense Tray #2

Mixed Tray. Mainly C.chinense, but a few baccatums and frutescens as well. I only started this one a week ago, so it`s lagging behind.

Finally, the wild tray. Just Ok germination rates. 

These are the seedlings from the Peruvian seeds. Very strong in the main. Only 2 varieties didn`t germinate (Arnaucho 2 and Charapita).

Here`s a few specific ones to bore the pants off you again,

This is C.pubescens CAP 217. "The Starship Enterprise"

This is Tepin amarillo,

CGN 21474. Blackbird`s eye. It`s a wild C.annuum.

CGN 21566. Brazilian C.chinense, possibly related to the Roxa group.

Looks like you need a bump for more photo's , I got 2 Wild Amarillo's to pop out of 6 and they didn't look their best but at least they came up I had 4 Bubble gums that didn't make it, the same from my Jigsaw and SB7J didn't come up The seeds must have rotted as they were some of the first ones I planted as its too late to try and find seeds again I will try to find some seeds in the fall.
I did get 4 reapers up and going they will need some time to get strong growth on most of the, My red and yellow primo's out grew them. All the rest have done ok under the circumstances.
Your Pubes look like they are doing well, my hybrid Pubes are bigger than the rest of my peppers, I hope that they will give me some pods before the Frost and freezing weather kills them off.

Back