• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My carnivorous plants [Pictures heavy]

Nepenthes faizaliana
15533303659_7f081d03ca_b.jpg

Nepenthes hamata
15533755458_5bfa47aeef_b.jpg

Nepenthes hamata
15720768822_6b9920c6f2_b.jpg

Sphagnum :) I use peatmoss in my mix, and the dead moss return to life after a couple weeks. This help a lot to raise the relative humidity around the plant.

Sphag need to be moist all the time to revive. Almost all carnivorous plants are bog plants, so i keep the media moist or wet all the time.
If the sphagnum moss stay dry, nothing will happen of course :)

you must be using a diff. peat. the stuff i used was packaged in bails. the stuff is supposedly the partially decomposed remains of a peat moss layer in so me ancient peat bogs from canada.

im guessing you are using like... dessicated  peat?

this is the stuff im talking about.
1280px-Schultz_Sphagnum_Peat_Moss.jpg

Its peat moss. The first layer of peat in any natural peatbog, just over the brown peat. Its not at all or very little decomposed because no bacterias can survive the acidity of a peat bog. What you have is 'grinded' dead sphagnum.

Its pretty sure you bought this as a compressed product. Just put some in a pot, add a lot of water and keep the pot on a standing water saucer. Maybe you will have to spray slowly the peat, sometimes its hard to mix with water.

If you keep the saucer always full of water, and the lighting high, you will see your sphag growing after 1-2 months ;-)

8524384827_6a9614b009_b.jpg

After 8 months ;-)

13472543165_da0d2acdf0_b.jpg

On that one you can see the sphag sending spores stalks :)

wait so, are you saying that you are getting living moss from the same peat i linked above? or not?

because i used the stuff extensivly in the past... i had it hooked up to an irrigation system with spray emitters that wet the entire container surface. the peat was not constantly wet, but periodically so.
im pretty sure if they were going to grow at all, they would have done so, at least a few times in the two or so years i used peat.

i know what you are talking about regarding the two layers.
it was my understanding that the top layer is stripped away though... and used for other things... ive seen it in craft stores in small bags. This is what i was talking about when i said dessicated peat.

like this.
sphagnum.jpg

i think the dead decomposed peat i linked in the above post is just TOO dead to grow anything.

you must be using a diff. peat. the stuff i used was packaged in bails. the stuff is supposedly the partially decomposed remains of a peat moss layer in so me ancient peat bogs from canada.

im guessing you are using like... dessicated  peat?

this is the stuff im talking about.
1280px-Schultz_Sphagnum_Peat_Moss.jpg

No that's the stuff he is using. The peat there is of course dead and decomposing. But what is also in there are spores. The LFS comes from spores like ferns. That's how the reproduce besides being cut and all that. Spores can last many hundreds of years and still be viable. That's why maiden's part "comes back to life" the spores activate and grow into new LFS plants. Kinda like a seed waiting for the right conditions to start a new pepper plant.

So yes that bail of peat you have in the right conditions will start to grow again.
Its a stylidium caespitosum :) A carnivorous plant from australia.

Wooooooo never seen anything like that before!

I need advice on Carnivorous plants I need two in particular I need one nepenthes and one drosera, they both need to be able to widthstand high humidity, high temps, and stay small. I know some drosera need dormancy but is there a species that doesnt? Im looking at Nepenthes bellii right now and would like to know about drosera Falconeri only if it doesnt need to go dormant though reason im asking is because im making paludarium and want those in there for visual. would these work in there they will be in nutrient free moss.

thanks in advance

Hello nightshade :)

Drosera falconeri is considered to be a difficult specie to grow in cultivation. They also require a dormancy.
If you want some more easy species, i suggest any south africa sundews. D.aliciae, d.capensis, d.natalensis, d.delsiana are very easy beautifull species. And they fit perfectly all your conditions.

Nepenthes bellii is a great subject for a terrarium, because its a relative small nep. If you keep the relative humidity over 70%, and temperature between 70 and 95, this plant will thrive under your care.
For sure, you cannot grow d.falconeri and n.bellii in the same tank. Falconeri need a way cooler temps in winter.

N.bellii + any south africa droseras can be grown together :)

Hope this help !

Maiden said:
Hello nightshade :) Drosera falconeri is considered to be a difficult specie to grow in cultivation. They also require a dormancy. If you want some more easy species, i suggest any south africa sundews. D.aliciae, d.capensis, d.natalensis, d.delsiana are very easy beautifull species. And they fit perfectly all your conditions. Nepenthes bellii is a great subject for a terrarium, because its a relative small nep. If you keep the relative humidity over 70%, and temperature between 70 and 95, this plant will thrive under your care. For sure, you cannot grow d.falconeri and n.bellii in the same tank. Falconeri need a way cooler temps in winter. N.bellii + any south africa droseras can be grown together :) Hope this help !

thank you do you have any suggestions on where to buy these species? The N. Bellii will work perfectly then thats exactly where humidity and temps will stay

Carnivorous plants are amazing!

I would be interested in buying some online. Is there any online shop in europe that could send plants to Greece?

Back