• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My carnivorous plants [Pictures heavy]

That is stunning! i wish i had the money for such a specimen. 

By the way, my first carnivorous plant has arrived!
Its so tiny, like the size of a quarter. It had a fist full of that moss on top of it. I just put a bit around to hold moisture in was my thinking. Its under my grow lights for 15 hours of mixed natural and fluorescent light.

Anything else i need to do just yet? or do i just wait for it to start growing.

DSF0703.jpg

That is stunning! i wish i had the money for such a specimen. 

By the way, my first carnivorous plant has arrived!
Its so tiny, like the size of a quarter. It had a fist full of that moss on top of it. I just put a bit around to hold moisture in was my thinking. Its under my grow lights for 15 hours of mixed natural and fluorescent light.

Anything else i need to do just yet? or do i just wait for it to start growing.

DSF0703.jpg

That's a good looking sundew! Keep the soil moist but not soaked, you can honestly leave them in a little standing water and they'll do fine and dew up like crazy! I do that with mine and have them next to my peppers with the same photoperiod and they love it. Producing a lot of flower stalks too! Unlike peppers and other plants, carnivorous plants need nutrient poor soil. Miracle Grow and other products often have fertilizers in them, so make sure you get a brand that doesn't. I use a long fibered sphagnum moss called Better-Gro orchid moss, works amazing on all my plants. Give you can get it 10+ hours of sunlight and artificial light, it'll do great

Cool. So at this point, I just need to let it de-stress and un-crunch itself and it will be happy i guess. Hopefully he catches an aphid or gnat this week

I agree with bvalente. Keep the relative humidity high to help the new growth. And if you keep your plant on standing water, be sure to add a light slow air flow.

You can keep your sundew's soil always moist(not wet), with no standing water, like i do.

Thanks for sharing your picture. And dont worry, sundews always look strange after a shipping. The new leaves will be perfect :-)

Should i ditch that top layer of moss? All the photos i see are just the sandy soil mix. 

The top layer of moss is fine. I actually grow all of my CP in 100% long fibered sphagnum moss

Your peat moss will revive, and a couple months later, your top soil will be all green.
Like this:

Drosera spatulata by dals009, on Flickr

:)

For myself, i never grow my plants on 100% LSF, but many growers like it.

Your soil mix have to fit with your watering routine, the relative humidity and the ventilation around the plants.

Maiden said:
Happy new year dude.
Thanks for all the help you gave me with my new carnivorous plants.
My collection has grown since then....

In their home
SANY0307.jpg

SANY0309.jpg

P.cyclosecta
SANY0311.jpg

Cephalotus follicularis
SANY0313.jpg

Dionaea muscipula 'B52'
SANY0314.jpg

Drosera slackii
SANY0315.jpg

Nepenthes 'Bloody Mary'
SANY0318.jpg

Same. Is this colouring just the leaf getting old or something else?
SANY0317.jpg

Happy new year dude.
Thanks for all the help you gave me with my new carnivorous plants.
My collection has grown since then....

In their home
SANY0307.jpg

SANY0309.jpg

P.cyclosecta
SANY0311.jpg

Cephalotus follicularis
SANY0313.jpg

Dionaea muscipula 'B52'
SANY0314.jpg

Drosera slackii
SANY0315.jpg

Nepenthes 'Bloody Mary'
SANY0318.jpg

Same. Is this colouring just the leaf getting old or something else?
SANY0317.jpg

Some great looking plants!! That ceph is a monster. As far as the Nepenthes, as long as the new growth on it is healthy and no visible pests, I would say that's just old growth dying back.

bvalente said:
Some great looking plants!! That ceph is a monster. As far as the Nepenthes, as long as the new growth on it is healthy and no visible pests, I would say that's just old growth dying back.
Thanks dude, I'm trying! I had the same Nepenthes plant a couple years ago and I managed to kill it, it didnt like my conservatory!

Welcome to the cps virus club.

You start to have a very nice collection :-) Very well grown. And like bvalente said, dont worry too much about these spots on the leaf. Its a old leaf saying byebye. I have some nepenthes here with spots on the leaves for years.

Maiden said:
Welcome to the cps virus club.

You start to have a very nice collection :-) Very well grown. And like bvalente said, dont worry too much about these spots on the leaf. Its a old leaf saying byebye. I have some nepenthes here with spots on the leaves for years.

Thank you :)
I'm sure I'll end up getting more and more!
Are they hard to grow from seed? When do you plant your seeds?

You can sow your cps at any time, in your indoor growing setup. Some species are very easy to germinate and they are fast growers like sundews or vfts. But species like heliamphora, cephalotus or nepenthes can be tricky to germinate. And it can take up to 5 years to have a mature plants from seeds.

Maiden said:
You can sow your cps at any time, in your indoor growing setup. Some species are very easy to germinate and they are fast growers like sundews or vfts. But species like heliamphora, cephalotus or nepenthes can be tricky to germinate. And it can take up to 5 years to have a mature plants from seeds.
Thats a long time, kind of simular to fruit trees in that regard.
I think I'll stick to buying small plants!

Thats a long time, kind of simular to fruit trees in that regard.
I think I'll stick to buying small plants!

It's a pretty addicting hobby. I started with just 1 VFT. A year later I have over 20 vft, 10 Sarracenia, a Nepenthes, Cephalotus, sundews, and live sphagnum.

Back