• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My carnivorous plants [Pictures heavy]

Hey Maiden, great photos!

A couple weeks ago I ordered a mixed selection of 10 flytrap seeds and a sundew (I'll look up the proper name later, not sure which it is offhand), so I'm glad I found this thread! Kinda wishing I picked up a couple small pitcher types as well but I was quite lost looking through the different species. There are so many!

Do you have any tips on germinating seeds and soil mixes for the sundew and the traps? Do you use straight peat or...? I noticed the post mentioning bloodworms and a photo with humidity domes over individual pots - great ideas that I will emulate. Is a reservoir in a tray beneath each pot the way to go to keep the soil consistently moist?

The peat waking up tip is really freakin rad too. Here I was thinking how the hell am I gonna find live moss for sale in the middle of winter in Canada when all along I already have it!

Thanks!

orchidguy - diggin' your photos as well!

Keep 'em coming. If all goes well I'll post my sprouts when they awaken :party:

Hello Aaron :)

Here a great 'how to' page about what you want to know.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/growing-venus-flytraps-from-seeds.html

Also congrats for your new seeds, you will be pleased with these lil guys ;-)

Its very easy to germinate/grow, and you can apply the same method for your sundews seeds.

Cheers!
Oh, and we can trade live plants, im in Canada too! :)

As someone who is new to growing carnivorous plants (or rather not killing tons of fly traps as a kid), can you recommend a few that are relatively inexpensive, easy to care for, fun, and can go to work on my gnats/whiteflies/etc?

by the way, as a photographer myself, you're images are stunning. Thanks!

Yes any south african drosera or mexican pinguicula. They are very easy growers and they will control your gnats population for sure :)
You can find some on ebay for a couple bucks. If you wait next spring, i should be able to send you some.

Maiden said:
Yes any south african drosera or mexican pinguicula. They are very easy growers and they will control your gnats population for sure :)
You can find some on ebay for a couple bucks. If you wait next spring, i should be able to send you some.

How about both! i will do some learning over the next couple months and then i'll have a system ready for spring time. 

Just ordered a "Drosera Dielsiana" off eBay of a seller an hour away so hopefully with priority shipping it wont freeze between Greensboro and Raleigh. I'll post up a pic on Friday when it gets here.

How about both! i will do some learning over the next couple months and then i'll have a system ready for spring time. 

Just ordered a "Drosera Dielsiana" off eBay of a seller an hour away so hopefully with priority shipping it wont freeze between Greensboro and Raleigh. I'll post up a pic on Friday when it gets here.

Those will be great plants to help control them! Big thing with Mexican pings is because of their extremely small roots, they're very susceptible to rot. I personally keep their soil on the drier side, when they're in dormancy they can go a whole without water

just came across a Nepenthes hamata clone for sale for $200 USD. Nuts!
Hopefully my "Sundew" will be here tomorrow. Cant wait.

Yes nepenthes hamata is quite expensive but so rewarding :-)

Its my favorite nepenthes, with maybe nepenthes tenuis.
Where did you see it ?

Back