• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

my cheap diy led light box

i'm not looking for fast growth just growth through the winter, and in the box i can give them longer hours of light than daylight can provide

So your only going to use it at night?? if your giving no more light than normal and have not checked light levels don't see the point,If you could check and then increase the number of l.e.d s`s
if your plants are not getting enough viable light you may have a good experiment on your hands..Energy saving is the way to go but only if it really gives some viability to the growth pattern of the plants and the plants themselves get the full spectrum needed :hell:

well here we are in week 3 and i think you'll notice a difference.

Week2
wk2dz1.jpg

Week3
wk3dn8.jpg

so they've been put into pots today and are still growing

Week3
wk3dn8.jpg

Week 4
wk4tb7.jpg

Oh yea finally got round to getting a timer so they are now on a 16hr cycle

have been looking for a cheap string of red leds, just to add a little red end spectrum.
Well today found a string 80 red/blue (40 of each) in homebase for 6 quid, so i'll be adding them later giving me a total of 120 blue 40 red.
This still keeps the cost of the experiment down, both sets of lights will pull under 10w.
I'll put up pics when the job is done.

new lights added

xtraew4.jpg

Maybe a bit of haste in buying the extra lights, as they weren't the 40-40 red/blue split i thought they were, they are 20 each of blue, red, orange and green.
Green one were left out but the orange included as it is close to red, so now have an extra 60 lights in there now (mind you somehow managed to lose 9 of the original blue ones!)
So it's just wait and see what happens now

Week 4
wk4tb7.jpg

week5
wk5qg7.jpg

The leds are def stopping them getting leggy, not much growth height wise but leaves are growing.
Be good to see if the extra lights are making a difference, i think we'll see a difference next week when the extra lights will have been in just over a week

very healthy looking...have you given them any food yet?

Keep it up Dave I been watching this really close to see how it works out for you. Matter of fact I was thinking about doing something like this in the small fish tank I got. Just something to fool around with. And like AJ asked are you feeding them anything?

IMO feeding them is your choice...if you want to try and grow them thru the winter, that is cool, but you better have a lot of room for them. I had 8 plants in a 4' X 4' grow box. Grew them from babies except the cutback O Hab and after 3 months, It was very very crowded in there.

I fed them every watering tho and watered about once every 4 or 5 days...the bigger they get, the more water they will use...

mayeeta said:
Hi Davetaylor,

Do you have a update on the lettuce seeds? I want to make one for the lettuce alone.

I might need to wait until the chillis are out of the way and try them again. I've still got 2 in there but they don't look like lettuces! To tell the truth i ain't said them much attention, but i will try them again

week 7
wk7sz9.jpg

Week 8
wk8ku8.jpg

Getting good growth now, and some potting on is needed as i've got roots showing from the bottom of the pots

Back