• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My Hot Sauces

Hi guys I just wanted to show you something I made and what really made me want to grow some super hots. This are some of the sauces I have made. Nothing special but I have enjoyed them very much!

The tan color one is made with orange Habaneros. This thing will jerk a few tears out of somebody who isn't a hot pepper head.

The red one I really really like. The flavor is awesome. It's made with Fresno peppers.

208487_10151562582717625_126605907_n.jpg

Can you guys recommend any peppers that have a similar fruity flavor of the Fresnos?

Dan

Guys thanks for the replies and suggestions, I will try those. I want to grow many different peppers. I am planing on making a small pepper garden on my house but I am still trying to figure out how to do it. I know you need to isolate peppers so that's what holding me back mostly. But growing peppers seems like a great hobby. It's relatively inexpensive and you get something awesome in return. Again I appreciate the replies!

1. You can buy bags to isolate blossoms, I use commercial paint strainer bags, 1 gallon and 5 gallon size that I buy from Home Depot. Any place that sells to commercial painters will sell these.

2. Did you know there is a tomato variety named Danko? It's a heart shaped one that is very good.

I know you need to isolate peppers so that's what holding me back mostly.

You only need to isolate IF and when you decide to harvest seed for the next season, in order to keep your seed strains pure.

There is no need to isolate your plants normally when just growing for peppers to eat/sauce/dry. All the genetics in a plant and its pepper pods come from the single original seed that it sprouted from - the only issues with crosses would be in the seeds you take out of your pods. The pods themselves will be true as long as the plant was started from good seed. You can simply buy or trade for isolated seeds for each new season if you do not want to worry about isolating on your own.

Happy growing, and welcome.

Neo and flame thank you for your replies! See thats something I didn't know. I thought you would get crossed peppers on the first harvest. I have learned growing peppers that I don't know anything about growing plants! So I am on that process. I ordered some aji limon, fatalii, peter pepper (I cannot wait to bring some of those to my mother In law buahahaha) some yellow buht jolokias. I have some morugas growing and some others so...looking forward to getting some of those on the near future.

The red one I really really like. The flavor is awesome. It's made with Fresno peppers.

Can you guys recommend any peppers that have a similar fruity flavor of the Fresnos?

These are quite unique, since you like them so much use them again but add other peppers too, for example, fresnos for flavor, bhuts for heat.

Fataliis or Datils aren't something you can buy in the store are they, I've looked in every kind of market around here and all I ever find is Habanero, Jalapeno, Serrano, Thai and sometime Hatch just sort of common peppers, I have terrible luck growing anything but weeds and mold, well growing older is pretty easy.

Hot pepper, thanks for the tip. Those are actually my very first sauces. And I have to agree with putting in different types of peppers. The orange habanero sauce is a prime example of that I would say. No flavor, just heat. Although I have found use for it by mixing it say with some mustard to make a hot mustard or on any dish that you can mix it in like a soup or chilli. I like that it adds heat but doesn't really change the flavor of the the dish. It doesn't really take much to add some heat.

Cannot wait to make some other sauces with some other different peppers.

On my next ones I hope to try out different blends. That way when I harvest the ones I'm growing I'll be able to have some more experience at it.

Smokm, yup you mentioned are hard to find at a grocerie store. Maybe you can get some drid or powdered one trough the mail.

Sauces look dank Danko ;) You wont need to isolate flowers unless you plan on harvesting seeds. You being in P.R. them things will grow forever man! Peppers are perennials :party:

I have to agree that's cool... I just hope they grow. All my buht jolokias died... Got some more seed on the way but I must be doing something wrong. I will start to grow everything again my morugas look like they are on the same path as my jolokias... We'll see.

Danko, how often are you watering/ feeding them? Also, how much sun and what type of sun, I.e. full sun, indirect sun, are they getting a day?

Have you noticed any bugs like a c-load of ants around them?

I was watering them twice a day. Once in the morning before work and once again after work.
Ok they are under direct sun during the morning hours. After 11am they are on undirect sunlight. Shaded more than anything. All the plants I have on my germination trays died.

I am seeing some tiny ant like insects arround now that you mention it.

I do have an aji bravo plant thats progressing nicely tough and a fresno pepper one. Everything else is dying.

The dirt I bought so I know it was ok to grow stuff in it. I better get the hang of this as I have other seeds coming and it will suck if they die too.

Oh and I did put plant food on the trays. I will later take a pic of the stuff. Is like little pebbles of stuff.
I thought this was going to bea easier ha ha ha everybody grows stuff here and they come out good. But I am the only one as far as I know that is trying togrow some strange peppers that nobody knows anything about.

Well, and others can troubleshoot me here on this, but it sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First Your overwatering. You should only water when they need it, soil feel dry, and only once. Second, ferts on young plant should only be used when really needed. Most potting and seedling soil has like 5 or 6 months of ferts already in it and if its just dirt then you don't need to feed them till they're a good 6 to 8 inches tall and have several sets of leaves. Even then only use a weak feeding in liquid form. Oh, and you should be bottom feeding/watering. You may need to limit the sun mire till your plants are used to it. Ants are their own problem as they farm Aphids and Aphids are bad Juju for our plants.

Now all the growers that have been growing longer than me can tell me where I'm wrong :)

Yea def sounds like overwatering for 1, and 2 just like RM said you won't need to feed em anything for a little while depending on soil. Let the soil dry out, you'll notice your plants start to wilt when they need water. Its easy to tell by the weight of the pot. Wet soil is obviously heavier than dry soil. Take a look around on this forum in the grow section and you'll learn a lot. If you need some seeds too, just let me know! I have more than plenty to share!

Back