My thai red pepper plant

Here is a pic taken Friday (yesterday).

9b6dd222.jpg

I'm also growing the same pepper plant for the first time growing peppers. I was working at a guys house and he gave me a pepper, it just sat in my office for about a year and I thought.......hmmmmmmm I should try and grow a pepper from one of these dried out seeds. Mine has also been indoors the whole time. Just this last week it budded and flowered. I'll post some pics. Do the peppers grow out of where the flowers die? Also, since this plant has actually grown I started some habanero plants too. Anyone have advice for growing those. How much sun etc. This pic was taken last Monday.
I wondered that too. Yes, it appears the pods grow out through the flower. If you look at my last pic you can see whats left of the flower still attached to the pod. Has yours survived on sunlight or artificial light and have you pruned it at all? Some people say don't prune whereas other people say sometimes its good to do that.

BTW- your plant looks heathy
& nice pic. This is my first year growing too.

Since its indoors you might have to "help it along" w/ the pollination process. I did nothing to mine and it only produced 2 peppers so far.

gasificada has a plant called Kung Pao that one person said my plant might be. I just bought a red pepper at a Thai market and took the seeds. Here is his: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18311-gassys-20102011-pepper-growing-thread-thingy/page__view__findpost__p__414476

Since its indoors you might have to "help it along" w/ the pollination process. I did nothing to mine and it only produced 2 peppers so far.

I saw the posts about that. I'll try the flick or shake treatment. When the plant was first growing I used artificial light, but then I moved it to the window sill and added to plant vitamins and !POW! it took off growing.

I saw the posts about that. I'll try the flick or shake treatment. When the plant was first growing I used artificial light, but then I moved it to the window sill and added to plant vitamins and !POW! it took off growing.
It looks better than mine because its more compact where my plant is stretched out. Looking good.

BTW- Did you just put the seed in the dirt to germinate it/get it started?

It looks better than mine because its more compact where my plant is stretched out. Looking good.

I put some soil on top of some paper towel in the bottom of a water bottle that I cut down. I just dumped the seeds on top of the soil and kept it wet.

I put some soil on top of some paper towel in the bottom of a water bottle that I cut down. I just dumped the seeds on top of the soil and kept it wet.
I'm trying to germinate some habanero & jalapeño but they don't seem to want to sprout. My place is only 70F so thats not helping. I read here where 80-85F is a good temp to get them to germinate. Your method sounds good.

Very healthy looking habanero plant BTW. I hope my seeds sprout soon.

Also, I'm glad I found this forum. I have not yet, and would not have topped my plant and ended up with a pepper tree like you have. That thing is cracking me up ITS HUGE. Don't take offense I would have ended up with the same thing. On another note the guy who gave me this pepper in the first place had tall pepper plants growing in his back yard I don't think the height matters accept for space to keep the plant. It sounds like if yours starts to pollenate you'll have just as many peppers as the small bushy plants.

I'm trying to germinate some habanero & jalapeño but they don't seem to want to sprout. My place is only 70F so thats not helping. I read here where 80-85F is a good temp to get them to germinate. Your method sounds good.

Very healthy looking habanero plant BTW. I hope my seeds sprout soon.

I germinated my plants in relative cold. They were in an office in Oakland.

Well. Welcome to the forum. There are a few others from Cali here too. I'm in D.C. area although I have been to other places.

I had a hard time germinating my orange habs until I put the pots on a heat mat. It REALLY helps things along. Check walmart when they start up their garden center. I was able to find a complete peat pellet, seedling dome and heat mat setup for around $20ish. The local nursery was selling the same setup for nearly $50 and the mat along for $30 something.

Welcome to the forum AceDeuce :)

I had a hard time germinating my orange habs until I put the pots on a heat mat. It REALLY helps things along. Check walmart when they start up their garden center. I was able to find a complete peat pellet, seedling dome and heat mat setup for around $20ish. The local nursery was selling the same setup for nearly $50 and the mat along for $30 something.

Welcome to the forum AceDeuce :)
Next time I go by there I'm going to keep a look out for that set-up. Thanks.

BTW- Here's an update pic of some new pods developing on my plant (click on the pic, then click on ot again once you're brought to the flickr page):

more pods!!! by david_m_22046, on Flickr​

@ AceDeuce: Your hab plant looks healthy and full. Is it getting sufficient direct sunlight?

My habs seem to be growing very slowly. They germinated last week & are only @ 1/2 inch tall :-( Maybe because I don't get strong sunlight everyday. Maybe next year I'll build/buy some lights and a rack. since this is my first year at it, sunlight will do for now.

@ AceDeuce: Your hab plant looks healthy and full. Is it getting sufficient direct sunlight?

My habs seem to be growing very slowly. They germinated last week & are only @ 1/2 inch tall :-( Maybe because I don't get strong sunlight everyday. Maybe next year I'll build/buy some lights and a rack. since this is my first year
at it, sunlight will do for now.

The Habs get the same sun as the Thai and it's huge by comparison. They both get sun in the morning right now. I'm going to stick the hab under a grow light.

Back