• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My thai red pepper plant

I'm new here but I'm thinking habs start out smaller. My seedlings, that sprouted, are tiny.

Habs do take a longer time to grow than a lot of other types. But it must have something to do with how they are started too becuase the Hab seedlings I bought from bunnings (hardware store) are really kicking on despite being overdue for a pot up, and the Habs I have started from seed have a much much slower growth rate. I'm learning through trial and error what chilli plants like and don't. It is still my first year growing and there only is so much you can learn from reading and talking about it. You really have to get the experience under your belt.

"podding-up". I had one pod on there for the longest time. Cut it off to ripen now @ 15 pods are growing. :shocked: Here's a small section of it:

5394202611_9dfb5a5c5a.jpg

That pick is prolly only 1/10th of the entire bulk of the plant because its @ 3 1/2 ft tall :eek:

Cool. Mine is flowering a lot but no peppers yet. So far the flowers have just fallen off.
That happened to me, in the beginning, but now I have @ 30 pods growing. About 50 flowers have fallen off of mine so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the pics. What were they right about? What did you do to start getting pods?
I only had one pod on there for the longest time and it was suggested that I
1) Manually pollinate the flowers (use fan or tap them gently) as I had no fan on them & they are indoors.
2) Remove the pod to encourage growth of other pods.

Heres a couple of close ups that turned out remarkably well, IMO, for being taken after sundown:

I only had one pod on there for the longest time and it was suggested that I
1) Manually pollinate the flowers (use fan or tap them gently) as I had no fan on them & they are indoors.
2) Remove the pod to encourage growth of other pods.

Heres a couple of close ups that turned out remarkably well, IMO, for being taken after sundown:

So what did you end up doing to manually pollinate them?

So what did you end up doing to manually pollinate them?
Gently nudge the pollen sacs inside the flower til powder falls out on your finger. Then I did it to the rest of the flowers spreading the powder/spores around the pistils, that was on my finger, as I went from flower to flower. Seems to have done the trick.

Gently nudge the pollen sacs inside the flower til powder falls out on your finger. Then I did it to the rest of the flowers spreading the powder/spores around the pistils, that was on my finger, as I went from flower to flower. Seems to have done the trick.
I don't actually SEE any pollen fall out of the flowers......hmmmmmmmmmmm. I think I might be getting a pod though. I'll know next week sometime if it falls off.

I don't actually SEE any pollen fall out of the flowers......hmmmmmmmmmmm. I think I might be getting a pod though. I'll know next week sometime if it falls off.
they have to be far enough along/matured to release the pollen. I just nudge them and if they don't release powder, I go to the next one. It seems one or two flowers are always redy to release the pollen. I'm new to this so I may not be the one to ask though. This is my first season. I was told if they're outside, insects take care of moving the pollen around which I had forgotten from Biol 101.

Mine is also a Thai/Kung Pao(?) variety so other species may have different characteristics. What variety is yours?

I don't know if this is the image you were trying to post but here goes...

DSC00036.jpg

Also, check your camera options for a flower. That is Macro and allows you to take pictures at short distances. It may also be a setting on a dial or a button depending on your camera.

Back