smokers My X-Mas Smoker

LOL nah man just thought you'd find it handy.

The other thing to keep in mind with the cheapo Brinkmanns is that they are deliberately designed so that the lid fits loosely, allowing plenty of air to escape around the rim of the lid. That's why they don't need a separate vent on top - they are designed so that they always leak a little air out the top.

That's too low for smoke to leak out. Could be okay for ribs, but for meat that is higher up, you need the flow to go all the way through.

Armadillo, yours looks like a much better design than the ECB.

Action pics!

We're getting increasingly off topic but:

Yes, looks like Armadillo got a very nice smoker, certainly better than an ECB. Action pics would be awesome.

That said, it's not as if the smoke makes a beeline directly out of the ECB at the rim of the lid without circulating through the whole chamber first. And don't forget it has two grills, so if you were really worried about it you could put the big hunks of meat on the lower grill, well below the point the smoke exits. Hmm, this calls for a delicious experiment, one brisket on the lower grill, one on the upper, see which tastes smokier...

Okay then. I started my first smoker batch today. Maybe it will be awesome, maybe it will be awful... IDN. But anyway I will share the pics of my WIN or FAIL. I'm not sure if the smoker is designed for 30°F outside temperature. So here's the first pics:

The Weber Mesquite chips I found in a garden center. I'll have to collect a few chunks of maple, cherry, apple and so on for making my own chips.

IMG_9812.jpg

A hand full of chips soaking:
IMG_9813.jpg

Lighting the charcoal:
IMG_9814.jpg

The chips on the charcoal:
IMG_9815.jpg

First Floor, Sports Gear: The waterbowl filled with the water the chips were soaked in plus a good shot of Cognac.
IMG_9816.jpg

Second Floor, Ladies Lingerie: Chicken legs, rubbed with lemon drop powder, salt, sugar, garlic, oregano and basil, refrigerated overnight.
IMG_9818.jpg

Third Floor, Gentlemen's Underwear: the pork ribs marinaded overnight in balsamico vinegar, olive oil, lemon drop powder, pepper, salt, basil, oregano, Cognac, onions and garlic.
IMG_9819.jpg

Can't wait for the after photos! Sounds and looks good so far. I have a Brinkman water smoker like that Armadillo and last month for the throwdown I had to remove the snow from it, so I think you will be fine at 30F just allow a little extra time.

A chicken leg with spaghetti and the rest of the glaze, YUMMY but a little bit dry. Should work on the temperature tuning...
IMG_9827.jpg

The ribs needed a bit longer.
IMG_9825.jpg

The last few minutes in da smoka:
IMG_9831.jpg

Ready and tender as hell!
IMG_9833.jpg

Nice bark......... good smoke!

Oh My...seeing all of your action shots and the end result, I now know what I'm asking for next x-mas. That is a really good smoker you've got there.

Looks like quite a bit of smoke leakage out of the side door. You might see about modding that with stove gasket.

The meat tasted great. But it was a PITA to control the temperature. I will have to make some mods. I'm thinking about drilling a few small holes into the fire bowl, sealing doors and vent. Any other suggestions?

Oh you're in Germany, sorry. Yeah, that looks good. You can also check aircraft supply, they use fiberglass sealing tape on airplanes.

Back