• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Nachos!

Tried my hand at doing Mexican for the first time ever and ended up with this.... 

The foundation and some homemade guacamole. I got NFI what guacamole is supposed to taste like, never done it before....it ended up tasting flat, like it was missing something.I noticed some recipes include Tabasco. So I added a good dash of Tabasco and a fair whack of lime juice and it perked it up nicely. 
nacho1_zps1d040b91.jpg

Beef, Kidney Beans, chopped onion, crushed tomatoes and a decent helping of Cumin, Coriander, Cayenne pepper and Chilli flakes simmering away
nacho2_zps25a8044b.jpg

splooge
nacho3_zps6ec5d753.jpg

uber splooge
nacho4_zpscd023cfd.jpg

This is how far  I got before throwing in the towel
nacho5_zps307da01c.jpg

That's my dinner for the rest of the month taken care of!   :D 

As we all know, Mexican food kicks ass, and thus this can be the official nacho thread. Show us your wizardry! 

If you do polenta nachos they MUST be triangular, or they are not nachos! Please do this. It sounds goodern all hell!

I've no idea where to begin with that. Maybe one day... :P
But i can tell i once made hot polenta (with built in hot stuff) and was very good!

The most similar thing i made was that:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/1244-what-was-the-last-spicy-meal-you-cooked/page-157#entry930564
And here a somewhat more serious attempt:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/1244-what-was-the-last-spicy-meal-you-cooked/page-157#entry930935

I had jalapeno and some quesolike cheese sauce (i believe that was so fake that Kraft singles are genuine in comparison, but i didn't care, i wanted that :P).

My wife was making nachos the other night and I said "hey do me up a separate pan and toss some pepper flake in mine."

Fast forward 20 minutes and I get a plate of nachos ... take a chip, and the INSTANT it hits my lips, fire.. fire.. oh wow fire.

"Hun... what kind of pepper flake you put in these?", I ask.. as I dig in and start to suffer immensely.

My wife KNOWS peppers - she's helped me process enough at this point. I mean, she knows the NAMES of peppers. And, as luck has it, she has her favorite NAMES. The ones she's written labels for enough to remember. Problem is she has no idea how HOT any of them are - or how ultra-condensed flake can be, heat wise.

So when she answers, I kind of sit there in a state of shock, sweating, eyes watering, mouth, nose, throat, and stomach burning.

In fact, I'm wiping off masses of snot from my nose as she answers.

"Oh I put a half teaspoon of Moruga Scorpion flake, a half teaspoon of Naga Viper, and a half teaspoon of Naga Morich in there."

I ended up downing over a half gallon of milk to settle my stomach, STILL woke up with "pepper radar" the next morning, tracking it's progress through my intestines, until the fearful moment finally arrived and I climbed, cringing and afraid, on to my throne.

That morning I made a facebook post on her wall, which was the ultimate "out of context" one of all time. 

"Jami - this abuse needs to end. While you may not have realized how much you were abusing my ass last night, it was too much... I could hardly hold back the tears when I was on the toilet this morning."

Her family and friends got quite a kick out of that.

:)

(That's about the same amount of flake I use for marinade for 10 pounds meat, for my "face melting" batches... all condensed in to one plate of nachos.)

CH I'll have to imagine those nacho's as the colors, at least on my computer screen are washed out and the tortilla chips and cheese look rather green. 

No worries though.

I've had more than my share of bad pictures.

I reckon you'll have to make them again!

You're right ... I used food effect of camera in macro mode with flash, fail colors. When reviewing quality of colors, had already eaten the nachos  :rolleyes:

Having to eat nachos again is no problem. I hope remember to do new pics

Hell yeah son THAT'S nachos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it but...

What are slider jalapeno's?

Doesn't matter,

I could eat that sheeit all day long.

I declare it goodern' hell!

texas blues said:

Fajita topped nacho's.

Pure Tex-Mex.

And God's food.

A Jewish guy with a Mexican name told me.

That sounds like my dad! hahaha.

Maybe when I'm in Piedras I can swing by where Nachos were invented and ask Nacho Jr to make some OG's and take some picks. Great thread Hells Kitchen!

I had nachos topped with buffalo chicken instead of chili at a restaurant recently - Which I will attempt to make soon. I thought it was a great idea and threw it out there for you guys and gals

LUCKYDOG said:
I had nachos topped with buffalo chicken instead of chili at a restaurant recently - Which I will attempt to make soon. I thought it was a great idea and threw it out there for you guys and gals
You made them yet?

Back