• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

? Naga mold ?

I noticed that when I picked my naga a few of them were really nice looking and when I opened them up it looked like the insides were blacken. Has anyone else experienced this? Don't know what I can do to prevent this Other pods were just fine.

This happened to me on my first ripe pods then everything cleared up. It seems the sick blacken one want to ripen first. I get very few blacken pods now. Hope this helps.

I have this happen to lots of my peppers, I'm not sure if it's mold or just some kind of seed defect something causing this. Hell I eat them anyhow as long as it isn't too bad. :)

that's not mold on the inside of the nagas...that is charcoal from where they spontaneously catch fire on the inside but can't actually flame because of lack of oxygen so they just smolder ( jk )

Several of my early pods were the same way but seem to have cleared up now as PRF said...

I notice this occasionally from storebought chilis. It's consistent enough where it doesn't worry me anymore, but I'm still not sure what causes it.

The Charcoal ignited

AlabamaJack said:
that's not mold on the inside of the nagas...that is charcoal from where they spontaneously catch fire on the inside but can't actually flame because of lack of oxygen so they just smolder ( jk )

Several of my early pods were the same way but seem to have cleared up now as PRF said...

ROFLHO Oh theres a fella at my work said that there is no pepper he can't eat and I said yes there is. He said that he could he habs all day and I said good but you won't be able to eat this one I have growing. He said bring it on so I did him a favor I warned him for a week do not eat the whole thing just a lil bit to see what it was like. Well today I had a ripe one and gave it to him with another friend to witness what I told him. Now take a lil bite and see how hot it really is. He said, I eat the whole thing I hollared you wanna die!!!!! Don't do it just a lil bite well the dip whip took about a 3 rd of it and looked at me, and said thats not hot................then he gets this grimice look on his face and he allowed the charcoal to ignite and ...........said in a faint voice you win..... I said I didn't win I just showed you that be careful and nooooooooooo listen to your elders and they won't lead you wrong...............His section chief came over and asked him why he was crying and he told him what happened and he told the ole boy don't open your mouth again will ya. I felt sorry but then I kept warning him I just wished I had a videio of it it was wild never saw a change so fast:mouthonfire::mouthonfire:

okie joe said:
ROFLHO Oh theres a fella at my work said that there is no pepper he can't eat and I said yes there is. He said that he could he habs all day and I said good but you won't be able to eat this one I have growing. He said bring it on so I did him a favor I warned him for a week do not eat the whole thing just a lil bit to see what it was like. Well today I had a ripe one and gave it to him with another friend to witness what I told him. Now take a lil bite and see how hot it really is. He said, I eat the whole thing I hollared you wanna die!!!!! Don't do it just a lil bite well the dip whip took about a 3 rd of it and looked at me, and said thats not hot................then he gets this grimice look on his face and he allowed the charcoal to ignite and ...........said in a faint voice you win..... I said I didn't win I just showed you that be careful and nooooooooooo listen to your elders and they won't lead you wrong...............His section chief came over and asked him why he was crying and he told him what happened and he told the ole boy don't open your mouth again will ya. I felt sorry but then I kept warning him I just wished I had a videio of it it was wild never saw a change so fast:mouthonfire::mouthonfire:

Haha good story, that'll learn that guy! :lol:

Hello hello, the black mould type stuff on the inside of chilli pods can sometimes be the result of our little friend the borer grub...they get in and demolish the insides of the chilli leaving a black type mould over inside flesh...the seeds that are left are often crumbly and the chilli is farely crappy! Hope that helps.....

Scorp

Hahaha, nice one Okie. Thats one thing I love about the Nagas..that delayed hit. Folks think it's not that bad for like a minute...then BAM!

Tighten the cinches 'cuz it's gonna be a ride now.... :D

Love it. :-D

AlabamaJack said:

I think I like this explanation, just because it sounds better!!:lol:

This just happened to a couple of Hungarian Black peppers I picked, they had a little hole and had black mold like stuff around the seeds.

Back