• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Naga Viper

Ok I was not about to mention offer or list this naga viper to the website or the forum, but since we are receiving many requests and questions about it I decided to share my experience with you about this pepper, the heat is NOT as strong as it is claimed I mean Red 7 Pod is hotter, 7 pod Jonah is way hotter than this Naga viper. This flesh cant be as hot as thin at least this is how I have seen it so far and this pepper have thick flesh and few seeds there is no guarantee that it will satisfy your need for flavor or heat, as it didn’t satisfy mine, well when I say its not hot, I just mean it…. Douglah will take this Naga Viper down…. I may list it at the website but I don’t want my customers to be disappointed with it just like I was…
Any one tried it yet… I have a friend from UK who said the same thing about it and he is the one who sent me the seeds. No offence for the company made it but I think it was too much of exaggeration about the heat…. That’s just my opinion…

hpim2736o.jpg

hpim2737p.jpg

hpim2739q.jpg

hpim2741t.jpg

hpim2742z.jpg

hpim2743y.jpg

hpim2746.jpg

My understanding is that this strain was no where near stable yet. I am no expert, but that is what I have heard. In that case I would expect that the peppers each person has would vary greatly in characteristics and heat. Am I mistaken about this?

That is definitely what I have been hearing too and to some degree makes it very interesting to see what some of the others who grow it will find.

i mean my seeds were from the first generation right after it was released but i didnt like it and not too much heat any 7 pod will beat it..

I'm interested to see what mine end up growing out like next year. I've heard the same, some hot, some not even close. I did see, stable or not, that one did test in at 1.3 million. So I guess it does have potential.. just not so stable potential.
Good read Judy.

Received this as Naga Viper. I seriously doubt that. has a standard C. chinense flavor and no serious heat. yours at least looks hot.

nagaviper.jpg

Ok I was not about to mention offer or list this naga viper to the website or the forum, but since we are receiving many requests and questions about it I decided to share my experience with you about this pepper, the heat is NOT as strong as it is claimed I mean Red 7 Pod is hotter, 7 pod Jonah is way hotter than this Naga viper. This flesh cant be as hot as thin at least this is how I have seen it so far and this pepper have thick flesh and few seeds there is no guarantee that it will satisfy your need for flavor or heat, as it didn’t satisfy mine, well when I say its not hot, I just mean it…. Douglah will take this Naga Viper down…. I may list it at the website but I don’t want my customers to be disappointed with it just like I was…
Any one tried it yet… I have a friend from UK who said the same thing about it and he is the one who sent me the seeds. No offence for the company made it but I think it was too much of exaggeration about the heat…. That’s just my opinion…

hpim2736o.jpg

hpim2737p.jpg

hpim2739q.jpg

hpim2741t.jpg

hpim2742z.jpg

hpim2743y.jpg

hpim2746.jpg

Pepperlover could no agree more purely an excercise to make money..as for stability well.Have tested buch-t and Viper and the Butch t is hotter to me around the same as 7pot/Scorpion/Dorset Naga/Morich/Bhutt/Bih there will be diffrences in Shu rating for sure and more Scientific approach is needed and coming, to give better readings so users can make a more informed choice where they put there money.
As for Hottest chilli..

`The Dorset Naga.In a test made by the BBC in 2006 measured the pepper at a whopping 1,598,227 SHU. This is still the highest reading ever seen for a chili.`

Truth and Science first before fantasy.

Since it is apparently some type of miracle three way cross, there is no way it could be stable which means that every seed is going to turn out very differently. Some may be hotter, some will be milder. If there is indeed good genetics for super-heat then you'd need to grow out tonnes of plants and only choose the hottest (or most desirable). This would be very difficult or impossible to do on a small scale

`The Dorset Naga.In a test made by the BBC in 2006 measured the pepper at a whopping 1,598,227 SHU. This is still the highest reading ever seen for a chili.`

Ya but they tested a fresh pod when the procedure calls for using dried pods. Any test of fresh pods will apparently have very exaggerated results

This sounds similar to what I read about the REd savina.
Some can be out of this world mouth burning, but others are just the same heat as a regular hab.
SO many variables for the Naga Viper. Im supprised they used the name Naga in this pepper cross. Considering its From England and not Nagaland India.

It used to be called the Trinidad viper but I think too many people called Gerald out on his continuous B.S.

Red savinas were never as hot as the inflated B.S. record they once had. They are not really any hotter than a regular habanero

Judy, your pictured pods are the only ones I've seen that actually mirror the look of the ones on Gerald's website. ;) How is the flavor on them?

Chris

Ya but they tested a fresh pod when the procedure calls for using dried pods. Any test of fresh pods will apparently have very exaggerated results

Now with that one ive heard they used fresh and dried but that was what i was told,much more testing needs doing i agree 100% with you on that POTWAIE and the above was to show the fact that we have people selling BS varietys for a quick buck...and they dont get bit by the viper.

I do love the work your doing through and many of us love trying the new types.

Win some – loose some, but never give up trying.

Thanks, Judy!!

I was sent a Naga Viper recently from Gerald, I have to say I found it to be very tasty however it did not blow me away with heat at all. I think that the 1.3 million SHU test was quite a lucky one, I estimate that this pod was in the region of 800,000 - 1 mil SHU max. My douglahs, red 7's and scorpion morougas were all far hotter than the Viper.

You can see the video here :onfire:

Back