• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Needles First Grow Log (of sorts)

A bit of background.....
I make chilli jam and had been buying the super expensive here in Aus Coles Carolina Reaper pods to add to spice up the habanero base. I collected seeds from various pods to try my hand at growing them when time permitted.

Started late after noticing in Masters (local hardware/garden supplies store) the Chilli Factory "Pot n All" range.
Grabbed a TS Cardi Yellow as I had a spot in the garden it could go. Mentioned it to a few other chilli heads at work (a bunch of us bring in various sauces etc to try) and they also visited their local stores.

One store had Carolina Reapers, so I grabbed 2 of them and also added to the garden.
Since that time I found here :dance:  and have been catching the bug. None of the habanero seeds I put in the garden came up (so will be trying to grow more as recommended in future as i learn here).
Have some seeds in trays at present from various collected pods, although I have no idea on viability etc, so the seedlings may be it for this season.

In the meantime I have bought some Red and orange habanero plants, and a TS Chocolate. These were planted yesterday.

Below are pics of the new grow and I will track that closer. There are a couple of pics of various stages of the TS cardi and reapers but I had not thought of doing this so they are not the greatest.

Enjoying the journey so far. :P

Reapers at first pic time not too long after planting (far left and right at front of garden). Apologies for poor pics.

Reapers 2 weeks ago

Reapers now.

2 of each. I assume some losses to pests and my ineptness :P
If I have more left over there are some guys at work that are growing also, so will throw them their way.

I may grow 4 x reapers if they all survive, as I want to see the difference (if any of the triple cotyledon plants vs normal from same seed batch)
Going to be a 33C day today, so will see what survives when I get home from work.

Needle99 said:
Update January 14.

First Reaper Pods - Tiny but Already look violent
At least I know the Chilli Factory Pot n All Reaper is the HP22B variant, not the Hippy Seed Co Ghost variant.
Which is good, as I have sprouts from what I guess they are too. Will be good to compare. (or not)

That's good to know, as I have a couple of the reapers from them.  Hopefully they are true like yours.

Time for another update...

Lost all my sprouts in the "growroom" one night.
Something decided to eat all of them. So bye bye Bahamian goat x 4, Aji Pineapple x 1 and Bishops Crown x 1 (all that had sprouted so far from Junglerain)
So I bought a greenhouse yesterday and will put together tonight as the storage location for new sprouts. Will post a pic once all together...

Below is the newly sprouted take 2 :-)

and the very first lot of Reapers/Habs/Mystery progress.

Here is the first TS Cardi Pods starting to ripen. Bit worried about the spots on some of the pods.

Impulse bought a couple of plants the other afternoon, so have added Yaki Blue to the collection.

Yaki Blue

Bishops Crown

And some pics of the rest of plants progress. Very happy to see 30+ pods on one of the reapers, and a few less on the other plant..

Orange Hab

Reaper 1

Reaper 2

TS Cardi Yellow

Cardi Overhead

Mystery Orange Pod - Could be a Cobra based on heat - Once there is more of a plant with flowers and pods will post into Pod identify thread. :-)

Nice looking plants Needle! Your grow (and addiction) is well under way! ;)

I do wish we had your consistent weather done south. Perfect for peppers except for the occasional downpour.

Have just had to throw away about 20 pods (so far)
Fruit Flies decided they like TS Cardi, Cayennes and Reapers....

Will see over the next few days how many more have been stung.
Have fruit fly bait out in the garden now, here's hoping that will help...

Needle99 said:
Have just had to throw away about 20 pods (so far)
Fruit Flies decided they like TS Cardi, Cayennes and Reapers....

Will see over the next few days how many more have been stung.
Have fruit fly bait out in the garden now, here's hoping that will help...

Oh, no!  Thankfully we don't have that problem down here.

Well so far looks like it may not be as bad as I first thought...

Not every pod seems to have been stung. Have Bait and a traop in play now to hopefully reduce further damage.
Deploying all organic weapons I know of.......

I will know for sure the impact in a week or so..

On a positive note all replanted Bahamian Goat seeds have sprouted, and the earliest seeds have become nice little plants now.
So all should be good :P

The eco naturelure plus a cera trap have been deployed so far.
Appears not every pod has been stung only 2 more look suspect.
Have everything crossed.

Just added Jays red and a milder cayenne to the grow list.

Progress so far.....
May actually have a single very small first TS Cardi Pod to try in the next few days....
Bought some organza bags to use as exclusion devices. Ordered another 100 off ebay, awaiting their arrival to cover pretty much all the pods as they develop.

Seedling Progress

Cayennes

Reapers - The brids have now also taken a likening to the pods

Ripening Reaper (Unfortunately Fruit Fly Blown I think)

TS Cardi Yellow - Still plenty of pods on it....Super slow to ripen however

Orange Hab

Red Habs

TS Chocolate - Finally starting to grow

Yaki Blue - Hammered by the wind so staked for now.

Bishops Crown

Have not posted an update for a while. Next update will include some Pod close-ups

New Seeds Soaking - Thanks GIP... Growlist keeps getting bigger

In Propogation boxes - Have sprouts now of 7 of the 8 extra vatrieties

Plants not in the garden beds - The yellow plant is a new Peruvian White habanero that was either being overwatered or under fed. The Yaki blue is going great

First plants I started from seed. The BSR pheno Reaper plant is the larger one in the back, finally starting to grow and look healthier

First Orange Habanero Pod is almost ripe

First Pods finally on the Red Habaneros

Choc TS is flowering

Reapers are still going well. Finally actually getting a few ripe pods that are not Fruit fly blown.
20160228_112935 by

Craig Mander, on Flickr

TS Cardi Yellow still producing tons of pods

First pods on the Bishops Crown

Pods picked for recent Sauce

End Product

Updated Growlist
Carolina Reaper (BSR and HP22B phenos)
Trinidan Scorpion Cardi Yellow
Trinidan Scorpion Chocolate
Habanero Red
Habanero Orange
Cayenne
Cobra yellow (I think, seeds from a friends pod)
Aji Pineapple
Bahamiam Goat
Bishops crown
Congo Trinidad Red (CCN) OP
WHITE FATALII (PL) OP
7 POD BUBBLEGUM “Large” (PL) OP
Rocoto Ecuadorian Sweet
Rocoto small Orange heirloom from Hogleg
Sugar Rush Cream
Aji fantasy
Bolsa de Dulce
Australian Bruce
Jays Red
Peruvian White Habanero
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Ghost
7 Pod Barrackpore
Yaki Blue

Wow man! Ya picked up a nice collection of seeds there! I'm looking forward to see your growth over winter. I reckon you're in the perfect place for year round growth. Monster plants mught be coming your way!

Very lucky indeed!
Also picked up a few more varieties in seedlings.

We shall see how the plants I started now go over winter. It will be an interesting experiment for sure.
I plan on moving the mini greenhouse into full sun for winter. The smaller plants in pots can live in their to stay warm.

As long as you can keep the deluge of rain off them I reckon they'll do exceptionally well. Last year I found the c.chinense plants only struggling below 5°c and even then really only if there's frost. I grew up in Lismore then Pottsville and still kick myself for ending up in Melbourne.

Back