• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

hobbies New aquarium!

Cannot unsee this. That rock is gone.
teefy.jpg

rocks102222.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I wondered about that big rock, but wasn't sure I was seeing the scale correctly. What's the plan for that? Are you thinking of utilizing it in a configuration to replace Crocodile Rock? Is the platform grid strong enough to distribute additional weight?

I've been set on the two rocks at the ends as pictured above. Pretty sure the big one will stick up out of the water, which will be cool. Crocodile Rock is coming out. It's got a great shape, but I don't like the color. I've got plenty of other pieces, will come up with something good.

Yeah, that stuff's plenty strong. I could stand on it. We used to use the ones made for light fixtures, but it seems the aquarium industry has caught on. This stuff is tougher and it's not all the same height, so the rocks are less likely to pivot about a high spot. I wish it was still white, though. The fish will dig and expose it - part of the reason I got more sand.

Pretty sure now I've got the ammonia level too high. Still no nitrification. Which means I've lost a week. Ugh. Will have to do a water change.

Got the new light set up last night. It's okay. I'm going to want one that's fully programmable. This one's just a longer-term temp. I used to use point-source lights. Maybe I'll go back to that.

Getting the big rock in the tank this afternoon, will post pictures.

Last edited:
Okay, the big rock's in and Crocodile Rock is out. It really clouded things up and I haven't rearranged anything as I just dropped work for a few minutes while help was available. I'll work on it some more tonight. The big rock takes up half the length of the tank. Pretty wild. Will be fun to 'scape. All the extra sand is really to create some elevations - will work on that soon, too.

This is pretty damn close. Maybe one more softball or so over on the right.
It's just going to be cloudy until the nitrifiers crowd out the random proliferating bacteria in there now. The background will actually look black once it's finally cleared.
I'm not a fan of the omniglow planted-style lighting I've got here, but it'll do for now.
20221027_030935.jpg

Just ordered 4oz of cycle-in-a-bottle. I've never used the stuff before, pretty dubious. Worth a shot. I want to get going already!

Seems like that could accelerate things if it's fresh and has been stored properly.

Unfortunately, those are rather large ifs. We'll see. I know there are folks who swear by the stuff, but who knows who they are, you know?

I'm sure it doesn't help that the tank is so sealed up. The water's exposed to the room only at the sump, which is under the stand, which is only open at the back and it's around an inch away from the wall. Maybe I should put a little fan under there to get some air moving through, pull in some microbes.

Back