• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Grower- Questions

First I would like to say hi and thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum! This forum is a wealth of information. In fact I have read 100's of posts.. but of course I still have a few questions. :lol:

I have ordered a variety of seeds and they should be arriving in a few days(I know its a little late.. but better late then never!). Just so everone knows.. the only thing I have ever grown was a few marigolds for my wife in a pot once..lol So yeah... be kind. :) Sorry if any of these questions sound silly. So I need to get set up to get these puppies growing. I have read dont use the jiffy balls, use the jiffy balls, use promix, dont buy a premade mix, etc.. etc..

The one thing I did notice is many who did use the jiffy balls(hopefully I am remembering this terminology correctly) got close to 100% germination. Also there seems to have been alot of success with the promix. I am thinking of going with one or the other. I have also read the jiffy balls can have issues.. so if I go this route.. whats the best way to avoid these issues(mold, fungus, etc..)? Or is it just smarter to start directly in soil like with promix?

The other thing I am slightly confused on.. is originally I was going to transplant directly into the ground when it was time.. but I see many of you use containers and seem to have really good success. So it sounds like that might be the way to go.. The question I have on this.. is what do you do when it rains? Do you watch the weather and move the containers in and out every time? Im assuming they would get saturated with water if you left them out. Does everyone build a greenhouse of sorts?

elthznd901 said:
The question I have on this.. is what do you do when it rains? Do you watch the weather and move the containers in and out every time?

Nah, only if it's going to rain REAL hard or be extra windy and I don't want the plants damaged when still smallish. I usually tie them up somehow too.
Or if I just fertilized and don't want it to wash out.
Or maybe if they're already too wet - but that seldom happens if the soil is right and it only rains for a few days.

Welcome
Containers plant usually absorb little rain, especially if they are bushy plants so that shouldn't be a problem. I like using containers, especially with my short outdoor growing season, and it gives me the ability to bring the plant into the greenhouse in early fall when the weather gets nastier
Personally I'd avoid the jiffys and just use straight pro-mix in cells or small containers. Peat on its own is a poor medium.

Good news on the rain and the containers.. I was thinking man this is gonna be a pain!

The seeds I ordered are:

Numex Twilight Chile(looked kind of cool..lol)
Manzano Pepper, Orange
Caribbean Red Habanero
Fatali
Purple Jalapeno
Bulgarian Carrot
Bhut Jolokia
Dulcetta
Chimayo
Chocoloat Hab
Gold Bullet Hab
White Bullet Hab
Early Jalapeno
Tepin

Might be one or two more.. doing that from memory..

elthznd901 said:
Good news on the rain and the containers.. I was thinking man this is gonna be a pain!

The seeds I ordered are:

Manzano Pepper, Orange
Caribbean Red Habanero
Fatali
Purple Jalapeno
Bulgarian Carrot
Bhut Jolokia
Dulcetta
Chimayo
Chocoloat Hab
Gold Bullet Hab
White Bullet Hab
Early Jalapeno
Tepin

very nice list you picked out

kylestl said:
very nice list you picked out

Thanks :) I hope I can get a nice little pepper garden going.

Looks like pro-mix is not available in my area. I have called about 20 some odd places and no luck(in colorado by the way). I can order some from ace but it has Mycorise in it. I thought I remember reading somewhere there could be issues with that type. Anyone know?

If so.. I can just make my own mix. There is a few garden centers around here that swear some of there stuff is better...lol we will see I guess.

from what company di u order . Red wood city? I love the seeds selection there for peppers. But one seed i want they cant ship out us. Habanero Orange bullet.

peppermanbaha said:
from what company di u order . Red wood city? I love the seeds selection there for peppers. But one seed i want they cant ship out us. Habanero Orange bullet.

Yes I ordered some from Redwood and some from Trade Winds Fruit. There were a few more I wanted to try but figured I am probably already getting too many!!

Alright, I'll say it before anyone else.

DONT BUY FROM RIEMERS!!!!

I've got no experience with them, but everyone here seems to avoid them like the plauge.

peppermanbaha said:

They can't ship that variety outside of the US? What reason?

And if you really really want it maybe someone on here could get it then forward it to you?

elthznd901 said:

The seeds I ordered are:

Manzano Pepper, Orange
Caribbean Red Habanero
Fatali
Purple Jalapeno
Bulgarian Carrot
Bhut Jolokia
Dulcetta
Chimayo
Chocoloat Hab
Gold Bullet Hab
White Bullet Hab
Early Jalapeno
Tepin

welcome to the forum...good list of peppers with a good reange of heat...

about your list, don't get frustrated with germination time...I see about 8 that are not easily germinate so just be patient...

by the way, I only grow in containers...had 327 of them in the back yard last year...

Thanks for the welcome. I have actually been a member for while.. but I am king of lurkers. ;) I like to make some salsas for fun.. I make hot stuff for me and the milder stuff for everyone else. :) So a range of heat is definately what I was looking for.

Once I got home from work I took a look over my list.. and I did make one mistake.. I didnt order the Gold Bullet, but the Craigs Triple Hot Hab. I guess the Gold Bullet was on the mind.. :)

Just out of curiousity.. which ones are the hard ones to germinate?

My attempt at growing white bullets led to slow and poor germination rates. The ones that did germ grew at a snails pace and then died. Others have had difficulties with this variety as well.

Good luck with your plants and the 2009 season!

Welcome Lurker,
You've probably heard all this stuff before. If so, it's good to hear it repeated again. If not, it gives you something else to check the validity of.
Planting in the ground is usually better for yield. (In my opinion)
A gentle breeze, if growing indoors, is usually sufficient to keep your jiffy pellets from molding. I don't use them either; they require constant monitoring for moisture or pest (cat dog squirrel) management.
A greenhouse is not necessary. Rain water is good in moderation. You can bring in your recently repotted or real small babies if you want to before a storm. They're too young to swim alone and may try the backstroke if they don't have enough roots to hold them still.
Just make sure you drain any excess water from their saucers after it rains so they don't sit in water too long.
Mycorise (Beneficial bacterial) is ok because it helps break down the soil to it's elemental parts to make it more assimilable.
Most of the C. Chinenses (habs) take their time germinating.

Txclosetgrower said:
They can't ship that variety outside of the US? What reason?

And if you really really want it maybe someone on here could get it then forward it to you?

They try protect that TM......Bastards

FiveStar said:
Alright, I'll say it before anyone else.

DONT BUY FROM RIEMERS!!!!

I've got no experience with them, but everyone here seems to avoid them like the plauge.

i tried them a couple times and had no probs.

Concure with POTAWIE avoid Jiffy `peat` pellets..But the Coir `Jiffy` Coir pellets are much better,As for the famous Bullet hab
white/orange have poor germination rates and the orange is the same taste as a regular orange hab which is grown worldwide and is prolific compared to that,there's plenty of people who would help you with many variety's if you ask :)

I can't find the orange bullet mentioned anywhere else. I think I am growing it this year though (from seeds I got from AJ). Did you make this name up? Or can I use it?
Can anyone help me? Here is a pic of the thing? Sorry for sounding confused.
agraphi15333.jpg

I didn't send any orange bullets...this is the first time I have heard of that one...

Back