• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds New Mixed Seed Pack

I received a second shipment of seeds. Just ten seeds in a small ziplock bag with the following description:

"Chilli Hot Mix Seeds
This is a mixture of the Hottest Chilli seeds habeneros, red, White, Orange and Choc Scotch Bonnet and Sudra 10 seeds" (sic)

Now, I think that means Red, White and Orange Habaneros - and Choc Bonnets. So I've planted them in a seed tray and wished them well.

Going to have to find out more about these "Sudra" variety.

good luck to you on your seeds!
you're far luckier to have a better "mixed seed package" than what some usa dealers give for a mixed package.

I don't know about you but I think I'd find it kind of frustrating not knowing what each pepper is until they fruit

At least they say what's in it and with just ten seeds, you can't go too wrong imo. You can plant them all and know that you'll grow all varieties. If you had a pack of 100 seeds and would plant 10 it'd be much more of a hit and miss affair.

Yep seen a few sellers in the u.k just but hab mix on a packet..Then its waiting till the pods grow and ripen to find the true Variety :)

Gar said:
I don't know about you but I think I'd find it kind of frustrating not knowing what each pepper is until they fruit

It will drive me nuts Gar. But I know where to go if I get stumped.

The `Sudra` is a Indonesian variety

Very high yields and high pungency! Strong growth habit. Many slim, long-shaped fruits. This variety is close to the "keriting" local indonesian variety. Each fruit measures 12.5 cm in length, 0.6-0.7 cm in width and weight 5-6 gram. Maturity : 70-75 days after transplanting. Suitable for fresh and dry markets. Tolerant to Anthracnose, PVY 1-2, Phytophtora, Bacterial wilt :)

imaguitargod said:
Ugh, I loath mix packs of seeds....so many complications from the start.

I hate them too, a bit like the Thompson and Morgan 'Tropical heat' mixed pack. You're meant to get a mix of Habanero Red and Orange, plus yellow and red Scotch Bonnets. I have only ever grown Orange Habs out of various packs.

I'm okay with the idea of mixed seeds - because I only need to buy them once.

From now on I can save and grow my own seeds.

Speaking of which - I'm taking AJ's advice and looking into a heating pad system for my seeds. Toast the soil under them (to around 28*C) for a couple of weeks to encourage germination

I went to visit the parents today - my dad's heating pad and light system is cooking my seeds for me.

So far 11 plants showing strong growth. Im giving the rest until the 14th November before I transplant what ever has risen.

The 14th is a traditional day in these parts as its a provincial holiday and its when the summer weather really starts.

rainbowberry said:
I hate them too, a bit like the Thompson and Morgan 'Tropical heat' mixed pack. You're meant to get a mix of Habanero Red and Orange, plus yellow and red Scotch Bonnets. I have only ever grown Orange Habs out of various packs.

That is the pack I ordered this 2008 season. I grew 4 plants and I gave a 5th to my sister. Turned out to be 3 orange habs, 1 red hab, and a yellow scotch bonnet. Definitely not doing the mixed pack deal again.

If you already got it, give it a go! I wouldn't buy one though, because seeds for the individual varities are pretty easy to get.

Yeah I've got all the individual seeds but it would just be interesting to see what it gives me on the next go. Sorry when I said 'same pack' I meant from two years ago.

rainbowberry said:
I'm going to try from the same pack of T&M seeds next year and see if I get anything but Orange Habs.

I was happy with the germination rate from Thompson and Morgan. Out of 22 seeds 21 germinated. That was in one of those Burpee humidity domes. No bottom heat, just placed in front of a sunny window.

Back