• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair Again

Baby plants again!  Down on the floor again next to my chair in my little library.  Here's how it looks right now.  I've got seeds in the germinator moving to cups every day now, will end up with another dozen or so seedlings under the light.   

20200222-085909.jpg

I'm scaling back from the 20+ plants I had last year to seven or eight plants, some in Kratky containers of various sizes, others in fabric pots with dirt.  The list: 

10G D - Sugar Rush Peach - WDC
10G D - P. Dreadie - CD
5G D - JPGS - WHP
5G D - 1208 Red - UE
5G K - 1208 Red - UE
5G K - 7 Pot Jonah - WHP
32G K - Haskorea - PtMD989
1G K - Rocoto Arequipa Giant Red - CD
Bonchi start - 7 Pot Yellow - BB

Kratky will be Botanicare CNS17 Grow and bottled spring water at first, tap water later.  Dirt will be a mix of pine bark fines, potting soil, and perlite with fish pellets.  Dirt will occasionally be watered with Kratky solution. 

I'll be growing out on the deck again on the north side of my house.  I'd love to have a wide open space with southern exposure, but this will have to do. It works. I've got a decent means of hanging shade cloth ready to go. I'm good. 
Thinking about sticking a plant in the ground over where the ill-fated Siv's Plant once made a valiant effort to survive a completely unfair transplant, too..  Will see.

Any and all comments or criticisms are very welcome and I thank you all most warmly for having me and schooling me and reading my noodlings!

Uncle_Eccoli said:

Refills.  I'm going to be mixing solution every day to keep them all topped up.  Short of something like Siv's system it's too much legwork.  I'm also convinced it's conducive to whatever that spotting is. 

Yup... that really is a pain with Kratky. Definitely not a "set-it-and-forget-it" method... it just doesn't scale once you have many plants.

If I were to do hydroponics outside again, I would try either Siv's method, or Dutch Buckets. I really dig the low-tech approach with Siv's solution that solves the overhead of managing each bucket individually, while not requiring pumps or electricity of any kind to keep the plants topped.

Dutch buckets worked great indoors for me, and I didn't have to spend that much time tending to the plants (I also didn't have season-ending mites to deal with either). A single reservoir is all you need to check, and it shouldn't have the evaporation issues that Siv is referring to (at least not to the same extent).

v5Oqg03.jpg

I thought so, too.  It's only showing on the lower six inches of the plant.  Not much room to isolate him. I guess he gets the axe.

Having a pretty mediocre season so far. It's been very hot all summer and none of my plants are producing like last year's were at this point. The Kratky plants seem especially disinterested in setting fruit, though a couple have picked up lately. 

Here are the remaining Kratky plants. I cut down the JPGS with the BLS-looking malady.  Haskorea is getting tall.  Edit: Lol, just noticed Frankie Donuts down there in the corner.
20200715-102505.jpg

Haskorea again. 
20200715-102538.jpg

It's putting on more and more pods like this now. Some are twistier.
20200715-141459.jpg

This is the Kratky plant with the weird spotting like last year. As you can see, it's worse now. I've only ever seen this with outdoor Kratky plants in 5g buckets. Thinking very seriously about cutting him down, too. The plant next door is showing it also, but nowhere near as bad as this one.
20200715-141521.jpg

Naga Smooky Rainbow. This plant's been flowering well for weeks now, but not a single grain of pollen. About a week ago I started wondering whether this guy might be sterile. The one I kept indoors is just starting to bud up and open its first flowers; watching that one closely. 
20200715-141607.jpg

Lots of activity on the dirt JPGS.  I have to heavily water these 5g bags every day. 
20200715-102653.jpg

SRP and Roma tomato. SRP is doing very well - lots of pods, lots of growth. This is my first tomato plant and it's got a terrible case of blossom-end rot. I've been giving it strong doses of Cal-Mag since I noticed the problem. 
20200715-102715.jpg

Shot down the deck in the morning. 
20200715-141402.jpg

This is the Naga Smooky Rainbow next to my chair. Eight buds at this node! Hope they set. The thing has grown to within two inches of the HLG100v2 and seems to love being blasted. Is it because this is a purple plant? I think any other plant I've grown would fry at this range..
20200719-134224.jpg

HeatMiser said:
Hope all those 8 flowers set pods E. 

I'm pretty sure most plants would have a serious case of leaf burn from being that close to the light. Are you going to prune it back, or just let it do its thing and see what happens?

Thanks, HM!

I'll move the light some if only because the plant is shadowing itself now. 

My Haskorea in the garbage can is all droopy and I dunno why.  It's been extremely hot lately, but everybody else is managing far better than Big H.  I thought maybe I'd added too much solution the last time, so I adjusted pH and dumped some out this afternoon.  No improvement.  Worrisome.

Uncle_Eccoli said:
My Haskorea in the garbage can is all droopy and I dunno why.  It's been extremely hot lately, but everybody else is managing far better than Big H.  I thought maybe I'd added too much solution the last time, so I adjusted pH and dumped some out this afternoon.  No improvement.  Worrisome.

I have a Datil in hydro that is doing exactly the same. It looks alright in the morning but by afternoon it's all droopy and sad. I have no idea what it is either. It's one of the smaller plants in hydro so perhaps he's not big enough to tolerate the heating of the nutes? It's odd - usually you would think insufficient water but that can't be the case.

Back