• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair Again

Baby plants again!  Down on the floor again next to my chair in my little library.  Here's how it looks right now.  I've got seeds in the germinator moving to cups every day now, will end up with another dozen or so seedlings under the light.   

20200222-085909.jpg

I'm scaling back from the 20+ plants I had last year to seven or eight plants, some in Kratky containers of various sizes, others in fabric pots with dirt.  The list: 

10G D - Sugar Rush Peach - WDC
10G D - P. Dreadie - CD
5G D - JPGS - WHP
5G D - 1208 Red - UE
5G K - 1208 Red - UE
5G K - 7 Pot Jonah - WHP
32G K - Haskorea - PtMD989
1G K - Rocoto Arequipa Giant Red - CD
Bonchi start - 7 Pot Yellow - BB

Kratky will be Botanicare CNS17 Grow and bottled spring water at first, tap water later.  Dirt will be a mix of pine bark fines, potting soil, and perlite with fish pellets.  Dirt will occasionally be watered with Kratky solution. 

I'll be growing out on the deck again on the north side of my house.  I'd love to have a wide open space with southern exposure, but this will have to do. It works. I've got a decent means of hanging shade cloth ready to go. I'm good. 
Thinking about sticking a plant in the ground over where the ill-fated Siv's Plant once made a valiant effort to survive a completely unfair transplant, too..  Will see.

Any and all comments or criticisms are very welcome and I thank you all most warmly for having me and schooling me and reading my noodlings!

This part is boring.  Not much going on.  Plants seem to be growing slowly, but it's probably only me.

Having some trouble getting yellow bonnets to germinate, not sure why.  I've got two tiny little P. Dreadies going, but they're pretty weak; I'm trying for more, but will likely give up soon if I don't get any new sprouts.  I haven't had a single TFM wake up for me.  

Need to work out how I'm going to fit three Kratky 5Gs, the bonchi, and a dozen Solo cups under my light.  I failed to consider this when I started the bonchi.

drake.jpg

Good startin's, Unc! Lousy sense of patience, though...I got the same, planted a bunch of Rocotos a while back and I go down and cheerlead the lifeless plugs every morning...

Your Aji Limo seeds are going into RR plugs today, I see you had none on your list...Need some of those seeds back?

stettoman said:
Good startin's, Unc! Lousy sense of patience, though...I got the same, planted a bunch of Rocotos a while back and I go down and cheerlead the lifeless plugs every morning...

Your Aji Limo seeds are going into RR plugs today, I see you had none on your list...Need some of those seeds back?
Thanks!
Patience is for the dead. Distraction - that's the ticket. Not much else going on for me right now, I guess.

Nah, thanks. It was one of my garbage can plants last year; I've got dried pods and seeds coming out of my ears. Eager to see how they do for you, though. I put three of the seeds down some weeks ago just to test them and had all three germinate for me. I grew them to three sets of leaves under that cheap flood light I got, then gave them away.

Thanks, Paul!

Found a TFM radicle yesterday afternoon!

I'm taking one last pass at the P. Dreadie backups, carpet bombing this time.  One of the two Dreadie seedlings I've got going is showing a little more strength lately; I'm feeling better about him.

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Thanks, Paul!

Found a TFM radicle yesterday afternoon!
   Yipee  :woohoo:
I'm taking one last pass at the P. Dreadie backups, carpet bombing this time.  One of the two Dreadie seedlings I've got going is showing a little more strength lately; I'm feeling better about him.

Hey Unc.. All progress is good progress!
Keep the faith. Be patient!

Two TFMs germinated now.  They'll go to the padawan once they've got some leaves. 

Also, two hits in my carpet bombing campaign!   Odds are now good I'll have a nice large P. Dreadie plant this year. It's going in a 10G fabric pot. 

Here's the current state of things. My little pepper tree is doing well - lots of forking, lots of buds.

20200319-161649.jpg

20200319-161707.jpg

That bonsai is looking great! Once it starts producing pods it will look even better.

How far away do you have the light from the top of the plants and how long do you leave it on? You seem to have that HLG100 dialed in quite well - my plants are telling me otherwise.

Thanks, all!

HeatMiser said:
How far away do you have the light from the top of the plants and how long do you leave it on?

I bet it's almost 24" away from the seedlings. I'll get a measurement in a bit.

The light is on for around 12 hours - everybody's starting to get tired by then.

PepperFish said:
Have you done one of these before?
Nope, this is my first attempt.

PaulG said:
Looks like you ate firing on all cylinders, ‘Fish!

Plants look great, as does the bronchi. Really

nicely shaped.
Man, I have to stop typing on my iPad  :rofl:
Talk about ignorant.

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Found a couple Kratky cups bone dry.  Whoops.  Never had that happen before.  Beautiful roots inside. 
Tiny TFMs and Dreadies on the right. 

Your little Kratkys look like they didn't suffer
from the dryout. Everything looks like it is
coming along nicely.

Back