• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Nightshades Grow(New wilds)

In vegas if you have a greenhouse you can keep stuff going for a while so I am starting my grow right now don't mistake it as we don't have winter because we do quite cold actually snows a couple times a year sometimes hails. Anyways it is time to get this thing rolling I will bring you along through the heartbreak and struggles also through the success. About 99% of my grow will be wilds so it should be quite interesting some of this is full grown others need to be sowed. Well here's the list more will be added as they come to me. Will upload some pictures tomorrow raining and dark right now

WILDS:
Capsicum Flexuosum
Capsicum Flexuosum (S2)
Capsicum Tovarii
Capsicum Cardenasii (true)
Capsicum Galapagoense
Capsicum Parvifolium
Capsicum Rhomboideum
Capsicum chacoense
Rocopica
Guampinha De Veado
Chiltepin Amarillo
Chiltepin Sonoran
Chiltepin nursery plant
Chiltepin El guapo brand
Chiltepin "pima bajo"
Chiltepin "desert gatherings brand"
Pequin
St Lucia Birdseye
Cumari Pollux
Pointed praetermissum
BGH 460
Cap 501
Cap 691
Cap 1144
Cap 215
Cap 539
Cap 1530
CGN 19198
CGN 21502
CGN 24332
CGN 22795
CGN 22794
CGN 20800
CGN 20812
CGN 24360
CGN 22869
CGN 22792
CGN 20510
More will be added

Superhots:
Yellow scorpion
Yellow moruga scorpion
Brown moruga scorpion
Carolina reaper
Fatalii gourmet jigsaw
7pot evergreen
7pot bubblegum
7pot lava
Sepia serpent
Boogeyman f2
Infinity
Jay's red ghost scorpion
SBJ7
A couple selective breeding projects
Others will be added

Others:
Capsicum pubescens "Locoto"
Capsicum pubescens "Canario"
Capsicum pubescens "Ecuadorian red rocoto"
Capsicum pubescens "Vallarta market Dino pods"
Capsicum Pubescens "Rocoto mini brown"
Capsicum Pubescens "Turbo pube"
Capsicum Pubescens "Big apple"
PI 224444
Jalabanero
Black cobra
Brazilian starfish
Bishops hat
Purple jalapeño
CGN 22184
CGN 21500
Others will be added

Tomatoes:
Wild Galapagos
Manx marvel
Black Krim
Large cherry
Macedonian tomato
Slovenian black tomato
Irish tomato
Cuban black
Black seaman
Ethiopian black
Mrs maxwells pink
Polar tomato
Watermelon beefsteak
Bulgarian tomato
Spoon Tomato
Red currant sweet pea
Others will be added

Bonsai projects:
Goji Berry
Miracle fruit

Melons:
Muskmelon Cucumis melo var. reticulatus
Kiwano melon

Cucumbers:
Lemon cucumber
Marketmore
Pickling
Straight eight

Okra:
Clemson Spineless

Wow that is a huge selection of wilds!!! I have three small Galapa's. They are cool plants. They did take a while to germ for me but after that they took off. I'm really interested in seeing that Galapa tomatoe!

Good luck with all the wilds!

I now have a capsicum Flexuosum sprout I am so excited for this species!!!!! It still hasn't shown leaves but once it does I will post pictures of this guy.

glad they germinated for you

was not going to upload pics until tomorrow but too much exciting stuff i couldn't wait so here you go

7e3031bedba74bfc7edabceb44edc52b_zpsb83e1482.jpg

got a great gift for Christmas it is a magnifying glass with arms and alligator clips to help observe and study flowers and leaves of capsicum

d7e6bda898d51bbb7ec0323dc7d7424e_zpsa193ac84.jpg

roots showing on the capsicum rhomboideum cuttings so it should produce a great size plant :dance:  :dance:
9c054c25fbf39a47514b455396b6874b_zps0513ea4b.jpg

no leaves yet but i potted him up to a decent four inch pot with a little bit of compost and half and half of coco and peat. going to pick up some fertilizer and more mycos to fertilize with once it is bigger.

That magnifying glass stand is awesome, 'Shade!
Great to be able to hang on the the camera and
take pictures with both hands   :party:

Rhombo cutting - nice!

PaulG said:
That magnifying glass stand is awesome, 'Shade!
Great to be able to hang on the the camera and
take pictures with both hands   :party:

Rhombo cutting - nice!
Yeah I thought it was pretty neat can't wait to be able to use it more on some of the rare wild varieties

Nightshade said:
Update on the tomatoes. I have sprouts on all of my tomatoes some have showed tap root and others are about to show leaves. The one I'm most excited about (manx marvel) should show leaves tomorrow or the next day

You'll like the manx marvel, good tomato for the garden.

Hey Nightshade that is some list of wilds and supers along with the rocoto's your growing I'll be growing a galapagoense from seed this year I have some other like C. eximium 19198 , C. praetermissum and a C. chacoense that I started late, so I'm over wintering them.
I'm just starting back to growing wilds as I had been growing a lot of super hots to build up a good supply of Hot pepper powder and was able to fill a 1 quart jar of hot pepper powder as I share it with my brother and his son. I will still be growing a lot of the super hots again this year along with my wilds but I decided that 2015 would just be my wilds, I'm hoping to find a few more varieties I know Judy at pepperlovers has a few so that will be one of the place I will get some wilds from,  along with the vendor in Spain, I'm trying to stay with vendors here in the US but there are not to many vendors that carry a lot of wilds. I figure I will have to buy most of what I'm looking for as I don't have much that I can trade with just yet.
I like your wild little tomatoes, some of the wild tomatoes are very interesting  and have tasty little fruit on them although some are not very good and some you can't eat at all.  I have a little cherry type that has a lot of dark purple in it it came from a breeding project at OSU The tomates are small but not very tasty although I have a cross of it with a large red called "Make My Day that taste much better but I have a lot of different disease problems that effect tomatoes and neither the OSU Blue or the OSU X MMD are resistant to them so I get just a few tomatoes off of them before they are killed out, The OSU is a cross of one of the wild speice found growing in the Galapagos islands.
Well I hope you have a great 2014 grow this year.
george

Nice, well thought out garden plan, Rob!
Should make for some great gardening pics!

Penny sent me some Manx Marvel seeds, I'll be
sure to include that in my tomato grow!

wildseed57 said:
Hey Nightshade that is some list of wilds and supers along with the rocoto's your growing I'll be growing a galapagoense from seed this year I have some other like C. eximium 19198 , C. praetermissum and a C. chacoense that I started late, so I'm over wintering them.
I'm just starting back to growing wilds as I had been growing a lot of super hots to build up a good supply of Hot pepper powder and was able to fill a 1 quart jar of hot pepper powder as I share it with my brother and his son. I will still be growing a lot of the super hots again this year along with my wilds but I decided that 2015 would just be my wilds, I'm hoping to find a few more varieties I know Judy at pepperlovers has a few so that will be one of the place I will get some wilds from,  along with the vendor in Spain, I'm trying to stay with vendors here in the US but there are not to many vendors that carry a lot of wilds. I figure I will have to buy most of what I'm looking for as I don't have much that I can trade with just yet.
I like your wild little tomatoes, some of the wild tomatoes are very interesting  and have tasty little fruit on them although some are not very good and some you can't eat at all.  I have a little cherry type that has a lot of dark purple in it it came from a breeding project at OSU The tomates are small but not very tasty although I have a cross of it with a large red called "Make My Day that taste much better but I have a lot of different disease problems that effect tomatoes and neither the OSU Blue or the OSU X MMD are resistant to them so I get just a few tomatoes off of them before they are killed out, The OSU is a cross of one of the wild speice found growing in the Galapagos islands.
Well I hope you have a great 2014 grow this year.
george
Yea I will be growing a ton of these wilds into their second year to max production rare ones like Flexuosum will be grown out like six +years. I also grow some for taste like cumari Pollux. I'm just hoping most of these do at least ok. Which I think they will just need to build up my soil which I'm starting already the better the soil the better the plants so I'm going to really work on that this year by buying good compost, bales of peat moss, some rock dust, worms, composted wood, manure, healthy bacteria, microbes etc etc.

PaulG said:
Nice, well thought out garden plan, Rob!
Should make for some great gardening pics!

Penny sent me some Manx Marvel seeds, I'll be
sure to include that in my tomato grow!
Yeah she sent me mine too thanks penny you're awesome.
Thank you Paul for stopping by and I'm hoping it does because I will be really embarrassed if not. I am going all out though I'm leaving no stone left unturned in this new season. I'm doing it big this year by doing my second garden. My first one was a terrible failure caused by the heat but I'm counteracting what happen last year (everything dried up while I went on a two day trip) by building an automatic PVC sprinkler that is both buried and a sprays the canopy.

Nice to see that I'm converting "some" over to tomatoes... :rofl:  and you's are very welcome for the seeds, enjoy.

Hey wildseed, if you need tomato seeds, just send me a PM and tell me what your looking for. I grew the OSU blue a couple years ago, the taste was ok, I haven't included it in my gardens since, I just found it to be too bland, but some people like that.....so if any of you want to try it, again just let me know. ;)

Hi Penny I have quite a few seeds of OSU not my favorite taste wise, THe OSUx Make My Day is better being that its a slicing size tomato. I got both of the from a fellow up your way. I have found that in my area you need a bunch of disease resistance to make it all summer here,  not counting the Hord of Spider mites and flea beatles. My favorite Hybrid would have to have VFFFTNNATMV, but since there is no tomato like that, I will just grow my Pineapple, Giant Red Portugal, English Giant, and Mexico then hope for the best.

Nightshade at least you have milder weather in the winter where you can grow or just over winter your plants in the green house, We're under snow here at Below -4 degrees,  so far the wind has not kicked in, I would have to have mine insulated and the heater going all winter If I had one. I used to live a half hour from a zoo and for $20.00 you could get a pickup load of composted Zoo Doo that was really good.  the best time to get it was in the winter time as no one wanted it then,  so you got to get the best pick of what they had I likes the Rhinno and Elephant the best for topping the soil with and the finer compost for mixing in the soil for my seed starter mix. I like well aged Rabbit poop to put around my plants. This year will be a make it or break it year as I have to replace most of the boards for my raised beds which will cost me a arm and leg and I will need a truck load of top soil brought in so,   I have My Spring cut out for me, I'm hoping for a dry March so that I can get the beds done then. I'm really hoping that I don't get sick again, next month is Blood work time, so I'm hoping that they don't find anything this time around, I already owe more than I can ever pay back to the doctors and hospitals along with a bunch of clinics which I'm sure will squeese the juice out of this old turnip.

Back