• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Noodle thread

Didn't see one and I noticed their are some people making their own Noodles so hope theirs going to be more interest. Gonna make some Noodles from scratch this weekend.

meanwhile;

Linguine Alfredo, kind ove.

Squid ink noodles and leftover clam chowder from this months Throwdown, topped with Blue Cheese and added more Dried Yellow Habaneros.

P1100817_LinguineAlfredo-1000_zpsdeb4gqxj.jpg

Supper was supposed to be spaghetti with home canned pasta sauce but it was bad and I already had the ground meat fried so I threw this together.
I'll call it Beef Taco Macaroni and Cheese!!

Onions
100-2984.jpg

Kraft Mac-n-Cheese noodles.
100-2986.jpg

The beef, tomatoes and taco seasoning.NOTE: next time use 2 packs of taco seasoning.
100-2987.jpg

100-2988.jpg

Kraft craft made chemical cheese powder stuff.
100-2989.jpg

more cheese
100-2990.jpg

Noodles with a little pasta water
100-2991.jpg

In the pool
100-2992.jpg

More cheese and Habaneros
100-2993.jpg

Baked at 400
100-2994.jpg

Salsa, sour cream and cilantro
100-2996.jpg

SOS goodness!!!
100-2997.jpg

My favorite Shichuan place makes killer noodle soups but im pretty sure the noodles are not hand pulled. Thats top shelf when you find a place that makes biang biang style or knife cut in house. Years ago a small carry out place had jjamppong on the "secret" menu. The owners were Korean and a guy i worked with knew them. They made the noodles fresh in house and the soup was AWESOME!!! I still cant find a place with jjamppong that compares to theirs.

Scoville DeVille said:
HAND CUT NOODLES!!!!  HOLY CRAP!

That's the real deal. Places like that, you can just throw the menu away and have them bring you whatever.

Where is this place? Toronto? That ain't no small town gig, ask me how I know. :lol:
Waterloo, Ontario. About 5 mins from my in-laws house. It is a perfect storm for lots of great Asian food though. In the same strip mall is ramen place, a bento place, real deal Chinese place. All centered between two world class universities that draw tonnes of Asian students, and that area is know as silicon valley North so many stay on with companies like Google, blackberry etc. The really weird part is you can drive ten minutes from there and watch old order mennonites driving their buggies down the road. Grocery stores have parking areas for horse and buggies.

MikeUSMC said:
Nice! Is that a Nickel Brook hat? ;)
Yep. My wife gave it to me for my birthday.

Edit : when we sat down, we were the only non Asians in the entire restaurant. Two other couples wondered in just as we were leaving.

Reminds me of a place we went in San Francisco recommended by several people. We walked in and everyone looked at us. Everyone in there was speaking Chinese and it was LOUD. They had the same linoleum flooring, tables and chairs that have been there since the 50's. The waitress spoke a rittlle Engrish and you could tell she was the "designated one". LOL Voted best Chicken Wings in San Francisco a lot of times.

Yes but no. The table next to us on one side was 3 twenty something students talking about avengers infinity war. I would bet they were born in Canada or USA. Other side were a group of female students who I think were a mix of foreign born and North American. When they left a husband, wife and son sat down and went through there bowls of noodles in under 5 mins. I can pretty much guarantee they were from China.

The place was hopping though, it was lined out the door, just shortly after we got there.

I am fairly proficient with chopsticks but I can't imagine ever being able to eat noodles that fast.

Meat is prepping atm for a dan dan influenced tonkotsu ramen. Half beef and half locally made fresh chorizo. Fried up first in a mix of doubanjiang, garlic, onion and ground Sichuan peppercorns. Quickly strained into a pot with chicken stock, bay leaf, star anise, Chinese rice wine, more ground Sichuan peppercorns, ginger, a dash of 5 spice, dried blood orange peel and gochugaru. Its simmering now.

One batch i probably leave out the Nissin seasoning packet and go with a fairly close to authentic dandanmian. Just use the noodles from the Nissin Raoh.

A little good black vinegar, some extra ground peppercorns and just a little dab of LaoGanMa with black beans. There was a little more chilli oil on the bottom but it was my homemade.
mGZw3D2.jpg

YJKrw0z.jpg

No, it tastes nothing like curry to me. The doubanjiang is a fermented broad bean and pepper paste. It can get pretty funky and its very salty. The noodles are mainly just spicy and numbing from the Sichuan peppercorns. They have a bit of a citrus thing going on too. I normally add pickled Chinese mustard greens and nappa i made. Authentic uses a dried and then fermented mustard green but ive seen other kinds used too.

This is the right stuff for authentic.
sumiyacai.jpg

I really like the one that looks like a bulb but i soak it first in some water to remove some of the salt. One of the places i go to makes a pork and preserved mustard soup. Its not spicy but i love it.
http://asian-ingredients.com/ingredients/vegetables/pickled-vegetables/
5511890255_052c43729d_o.jpg

I stumbled on a new to me restaurant today and was blown away. I ate the buffet and I think it's the first time that all of the dishes didn't taste the same or close to it. I think it's soy sauce that most Asian buffet joints use in everything, Maybe I'm wrong. Didn't think about getting pics either.

I got a buffet box to go and tried as many things as I could fit, here was lunch but they had more dishes, sauces and deserts out that I couldn't get to.
Pork Pad Thia
Pad Khi Mao
Yellow Curry chicken with potatoes simmered in coconut milk.
Red Curry chili paste with beef, coconut milk, bell pepper, baby corn, eggplant and fresh sweet basil.
Pork fried rice
Three Flavor Fish with Catfish in spicy sweet and sour sauce with onions, bell peppers, sweet basil, and kaffir lime 
Fried catfish. shrimp and onion rings in a tempura batter

I'll have to go back and eat some of that curry seafood!!

http://www.thaicuisinellc.com/pages/seafood.htm

Ive tried a bunch of Chinese buffets. None have offered a curry. We had one that was awesome that closed down. They had some real authentic stuff like cold beef tendon salad. Salt and pepper shrimp fried in the shell. You could eat them shell and all if you got them right away. They had stuff no other buffet had.

We got one good one left but it changed owners. The guy who had the place was THE GUY that got me loving Chinese food when he owned another tiny place. Best freaking hot braised chicken i ever had. Hot oil tofu that was almost brutal. Lee Pa was his name....Man do i miss his cooking. He made Jjampong special for me a few times at his buffet. The "House Special Beef" was very similar to Korean bulgogi...Just awesome too.

o.jpg

Back