• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Not a grow log

Only one word comes to mind: wow! Quality & quantity happily coexisting :-)

Out of curiosity, who are your major seed suppliers?
Also, I'd be interested in knowing more about your current and planned CFL setup for all that greenage.

Cheers,
/pb

peppaboy, welcome to the pepper forum. I have purchased seeds from a few of the major suppliers but most come from chilliheads all over the world in trades. I have no plans for using CFL's now or in the future, they cost to much and you need to many to cover the same area as a fluoro tube. Sure they may be better for fruiting and quicker growth but that is not what I am interested in. I just grow them to stick outside in the spring. On the other hand if I could find a good source for some LED diodes I would like to mess with building my own light boards. If you check out my photobucket link you can get a look at my setup. Thanks for asking.

Dale

Can't wait till you get the forest outside planted this year. Looking good so far and great list.

What bulbs are you using in your lights?

millworkman said:
Any certain color?

No certain color, the cool whites are usually the cheapest but I did get some warm whites on sale last year which ended up being cheaper than the cools so I do have a mix of them now but not intentionally.

chicagofire,
"Being crazy used to mean something, nowadays everybodys crazy"- Charles Manson

Dale

Hi Dale. I got my leds from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-PCS-10mm-40-5-Chips-0-5-Watt-Blue-LED-100mA-130Kmcd_W0QQitemZ310122899716QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item310122899716&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

They are very bright (130,000mcd max) and are the right spectrum. Not as fast as fluorescents but they do work.

If you need any help working out what resistors you need give me a shout. You will need to dig out a dc transformer.

Chris

thepodpiper said:
peppaboy, welcome to the pepper forum. I have purchased seeds from a few of the major suppliers but most come from chilliheads all over the world in trades. I have no plans for using CFL's now or in the future, they cost to much and you need to many to cover the same area as a fluoro tube. Sure they may be better for fruiting and quicker growth but that is not what I am interested in. I just grow them to stick outside in the spring. On the other hand if I could find a good source for some LED diodes I would like to mess with building my own light boards. If you check out my photobucket link you can get a look at my setup. Thanks for asking.

Dale

Thanks!
I just (mistakenly) assumed that the purpling-leaf effect was only possible with high wattage CFLs. Little did I know it could happen with normal fluoro tubes. Live and learn!

Now that I see your nice results I realize that I foolishly spend $ on CFLage. Namely 2 x 200W + 2 x 125W Enviros for just a square metre of space (10 square feet). I'll try and make the best of it now that I have them, at least.

Nice clean garden you have there. Your chilis will appreciate the museum-like location :-)

/pb

I have my only c. eximium break the soil today, it only took 7+ weeks to germinate hopefully it makes it I'm not to hopeful that any of the other seeds will germinate.

Dale

Dale...got any new pics for an update?

Have you started transplanting yet?

As I said earlier, those look awesome...

Here are some pics I took today. They are still rather small but growing at the pace I like. I still have 12 weeks before plant out/sellout.

This is the first transplant stage, from the 144 cell trays in the germination box to the 72's. There are a couple hundred more to go in the box that are late to sprout.
pics254.jpg

pics230.jpg

pics231.jpg

CAP 503
pics239.jpg

They look great Dale. That Pimenta da Neyde plant looks awesome. Have you grown them before? How's the flavor?

Dale, those look excellent and in great health and color...

:don't know whether I said it to you this year or not but good luck on your grow season this year:

Back