• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Not a grow log

Josh said:
Wow! You're really doing well Dale.

Did you have trouble with Pepper Maggots last year? I was wondering how things were going? Have you seen any of those flies around this season? I sure hope not. Those things really suck.

Josh, I have noticed a few flies lately but I really do not have anything they are interested in. I purposely only planted thin walled and small podded wild varieties. They seem to leave those types alone. The pubes that i planted are under tulle to stop them from getting to the pods. Oh they are here but i am hoping that by not giving them what they want there won't be a problem in a couple of years, I think I will plant similar types next year also. Those bastards really hit me hard last year, about 200 out of the 300 or so plants were almost a total loss.

Silver_Surfer said:
Nice garden and huge loads of pods on those beautiful plants!

That's some hefty PVC framing in that GH. What is it, 3 inch?

SS, it is actually a steel tube carport that I converted into a greenhouse. Worked like a charm but next year I will build the whole thing. I did use some PVC on the verticle legs to bring the cieling down lower so it would be easier to heat but I will make it full size next year because it was not big enough for what I grow.

Thanks PRF.

thepodpiper said:
Josh, I have noticed a few flies lately but I really do not have anything they are interested in. I purposely only planted thin walled and small podded wild varieties. They seem to leave those types alone. The pubes that i planted are under tulle to stop them from getting to the pods. Oh they are here but i am hoping that by not giving them what they want there won't be a problem in a couple of years...

Well that is good to hear. My sister avoided peppers altogether this year after last seasons pepper maggot invasion. She also had to forget about growing eggplant. The scale and pace at which they destroy pods is crazy.

Bird Aji
BirdAji1.jpg

C. Praetermissum
CPraetermissum-1.jpg

Broken branch from Equadorian Devil's Breath
EquadorianDevilsBreath.jpg

CAP 215
CAP2151.jpg

Josh said:
Well that is good to hear. My sister avoided peppers altogether this year after last seasons pepper maggot invasion. She also had to forget about growing eggplant. The scale and pace at which they destroy pods is crazy.

It is crazy, I threw away 4 garbage cans full of pods (the big 30 something gallon ones) before I started yanking plants out of the ground. They will hit the eggplant too?

thepodpiper said:
Yeah, I have a couple different types

Ah. Well, I guess the only thing you can do is keep an eye on them. If you see those tiny brown holes in the skin you can possibly cover the other unaffected ones. Sorry if I got you thinking negative. Hopefully they won't be touched.

Punta Giallo?

Is it possible that the Punta Giallo is in fact a Pointed Yellow Habanero (chiliman.org)?

I'm just wondering because:

1 - The chiliman has an entry for Punta Giallo but 0 info for it.
2 - Punta Giallo does mean both "point" and "yellow".
3 - My Pointed Yellow Habanero looks just like your Punta Giallo.

Just curious about the classification of this guy.
I bought my seeds from Fatalii.

Peace,
/pb

Fantastic looking plants Dale, congrats. Got to make you happy to see all of your hard work pay off.

I have a couple of plants growing from seeds I traded with you. Thanks.

Best of luck finishing the car port/green house next season.

peppaboy said:
Is it possible that the Punta Giallo is in fact a Pointed Yellow Habanero (chiliman.org)?

I'm just wondering because:

1 - The chiliman has an entry for Punta Giallo but 0 info for it.
2 - Punta Giallo does mean both "point" and "yellow".
3 - My Pointed Yellow Habanero looks just like your Punta Giallo.

Just curious about the classification of this guy.
I bought my seeds from Fatalii.

Peace,
/pb

peppaboy, you are absolutely correct. After further review of my list and the garden it is indeed a Hab Yellow Pointed and it is directly across from my other Hab Yellow Pointed. So if that is what Punta Giallo means then they are one and the same. Well there will be plenty of seeds for that variety next season.

Thanks tb and patrick.

looks like you are going to be swimming in pods pretty soon Dale...great looking garden...

Back