• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Not Naga Viper But Genuine Testing!

That was strange hearing the words "Trinidad Scorpion" on Martha Stewart. :woohoo: Martha said she can't wait to grow the trinidad scorpion and chiltepin in her garden. :lol:

What's up with the Nu Mex varieties losing flavor and growing poorly? Do they know what the cause is?

That was strange hearing the words "Trinidad Scorpion" on Martha Stewart. :woohoo: Martha said she can't wait to grow the trinidad scorpion and chiltepin in her garden. :lol:

What's up with the Nu Mex varieties losing flavor and growing poorly? Do they know what the cause is?

I will explain about NU Mex varieties. Over the last decade their has been more problems with Nu Mex and Nu Mex Big Jim. People have even said the flavor is different than years past. So seed from early 1900's from a seed bank was planted and put into field for testing. It came out pretty much the same as seed from the present. So it's not genetic degradation of seed stock over the last century. Is it the soil? World climate changes? Water supply? Micro-organisms? Nobody knows. Paul and others in the Ag industry especially Texas A&M are trying to find answers. Monsantos answer is to make Hybrids of course and if they could GMO Peppers they would! So that is why I made earlier comment that Paul had more pressing matters than looking at superhots. Paul is also close to retirement and his shoes will be big to fill. So it is doubtful he will be pursuing superhots. Myself I am just a chile enthusiast that has found a way to make some money and pay bills and support Youth. But my desire brought me into Marlin's path via Dave De Witt and now we are getting answers. Marlin is not Paul Bosland. But he is a scientist and knows capsaicin and peppers. He is also a man of scientific ethics. I give you an example. I sent some pods from early harvest to test. Since they were good pods I took a few seeds out. I labeled pods "some seeds missing". These three pods tested out at over 1,400,000!!! Marlin will not submit it. Why?? Because it is technically not a whole pepper and when you test you test the whole pepper. My argument which I lost was that by removing seeds I also removed some placental tissue which if anything would give it a lower score. Marlin said test could not count because standard is based on whole pepper. So my friends you may like Bosland. But I think you should be comfortable that Marlin is good and has high ethics. And I am glad to continue working with him. I will trust Marlin over Warwick anyday.

Hab500,

Exceedingly curious, when will the final press release with all of the data & findings be released?
I am very eager to find out the Trini Scorps values and the 7-pot jonah & brain-strain values.

Thankyou for being a part of a project that answers so many unanswered questions :)

So now lets look at our Testing of the Scorpion. First we did not just test the Scorpion. We tested Moruga Scorpion and Smaller types (3 seed sources), Douglah, 7 Pot Jonah, Brain, Cardi, Naga Morich, Chocolate Bhut, Yellow Bhut and 7 Pot Yellow. For curiosity we did variations of Devil's Tongue and Fatalii. All were grown in hot, dry southwest climate in pots and ground.
All samples were tested single pods and composite samples. All had multiple tests.
So what did the differents types test out at Jim?? Lotsa folk would love to know. Myself included. We keep seeing claims and heat charts of all descriptions so It would be excellent to actually have a factual reference chart to work with.

To clarify tests we did not label any pods Brain. Some 7 pots looked exactly like Brain but were not from Cappy's stock. To me they are still Brain. So if you do see our data will only see Trinidad 7 Pot, Jonah, Yellow and Douglah on the spreadsheet. Jonah and Douglah bounced over 1,100,000 a few times but mostly came in around 800,000. Moruga Scorp and Scorpion came in over 1,000,000 consistently. Highest test was 1,416,000 which we could not submit because I removed seeds from them before giving to Marlin. Average I would say for Scorpion was 1,200,000. Now that is a consistent average not just one test. Scorpions and Moruga only dipped below 1,000,000 when pods were picked too close to watering or rain. One time pods got too ripe and degraded and that lowered pungency. Now I will say all 7 Pots Brain looking, Naga Looking, CARDI/SR averaged about 800,000. I even had some shipped to me from Trinidad to test. Other averages were

Yellow Bhut over 400,000
Yellow 7 Pot over 600,000
Chocolate Bhut 700,000-800,000
Naga Morich 700,000
Devil's Tongue Red 400,000-500,000
Devil Yellow over 400,000
Fatalii over 300,000
Fatalii Red under 300,000
Devil's Tongue Chocolate over 500,000
Chocolate habanero over 500,000

We probably will not release all our data but will release data on record holder. Sorry but we are doing research for business reasons also and some things we just will not share because of projects we are looking at. I will share this. Whether we get record or not we are going to do this all over again with more plants, more peppers and more variations and sub-species of all the superhots. Then we will show all data and probably make a brand new chile pepper heat scale. Only our scale won't start with the Bell. It will be a Hot pepper scale. Nothing below a hab allowed!

To clarify tests we did not label any pods Brain. Some 7 pots looked exactly like Brain but were not from Cappy's stock. To me they are still Brain. So if you do see our data will only see Trinidad 7 Pot, Jonah, Yellow and Douglah on the spreadsheet. Jonah and Douglah bounced over 1,100,000 a few times but mostly came in around 800,000. Moruga Scorp and Scorpion came in over 1,000,000 consistently. Highest test was 1,416,000 which we could not submit because I removed seeds from them before giving to Marlin. Average I would say for Scorpion was 1,200,000. Now that is a consistent average not just one test. Scorpions and Moruga only dipped below 1,000,000 when pods were picked too close to watering or rain. One time pods got too ripe and degraded and that lowered pungency. Now I will say all 7 Pots Brain looking, Naga Looking, CARDI/SR averaged about 800,000. I even had some shipped to me from Trinidad to test. Other averages were

Yellow Bhut over 400,000
Yellow 7 Pot over 600,000
Chocolate Bhut 700,000-800,000
Naga Morich 700,000
Devil's Tongue Red 400,000-500,000
Devil Yellow over 400,000
Fatalii over 300,000
Fatalii Red under 300,000
Devil's Tongue Chocolate over 500,000
Chocolate habanero over 500,000

We probably will not release all our data but will release data on record holder. Sorry but we are doing research for business reasons also and some things we just will not share because of projects we are looking at. I will share this. Whether we get record or not we are going to do this all over again with more plants, more peppers and more variations and sub-species of all the superhots. Then we will show all data and probably make a brand new chile pepper heat scale. Only our scale won't start with the Bell. It will be a Hot pepper scale. Nothing below a hab allowed!

Thanks thats great, I understand about the business bit, I'm sure that the testing isnt cheap.

Like the sound of a new scale, even if it is somewhat unnessisary. I would have thought a habanero would be the starting point, cause somebody who can tolerate those must be worthy of using the new scale! Even if they are comparritively mild.

I wonder if the Scotch Bonnet will make the cut.

For years, before the Superhots became more well known, it was a toss up between the Bonnet and the Hab, as to which one was hotter.

I'll be growing some different varieties of each of these this coming year, then maybe I'll be able to decide for myself.;)

dvg

Well the application is in the hands of Guinness right now. One more thing FYI The Bhut Jolokia does not have the record anymore. In March 2010 they accepted the single test of the Infinity chile. The infinity chile is a 7 Pot and the guy who tested them at Warwick used someone elses pods. So all the work done by Bosland does not count for anything anymore. If you search on Guinness site you will find Infinity Chile. It's hard to find but it is there.

Guinness has always been a joke when it comes to hottest pepper. I guess its not important to them as long as they make their money. I don't even think that the hottest pepper category is in the actual book

Reading this about Guinness immediately made me think of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Look at some of the jokers who make it there now compared to a lot who really deserve it and never get there. Seems the few who decide on their awards are more interested in marketing their product for their own interests. I am so tired of standards continually lowered.

Well they have accepted our application. We will see how things go now. My hope is that the Trinidad varieties finally get recognized. I know this will help my business but really want to see some of our favorite chiles get recognition. It kind of blew me away that the Infinity chile had the record. I guess it did not have a lot of publicity behind it.

Back