• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

NoVa's Grow Log

This is from my blog (link is in signature):

Finally! Seeds in dirt! Wooohooo! 144 peat pucks have been filled with 13 different varieties from 7 different sources, for a total of 18 different types to track (5 varieties are being planted from two sources). They were just sown, so the temps aren't back up to where they need to be yet.

IMGA0344.jpg

IMGA0349.jpg

IMGA0351.jpg

Also, here's what's growing:

Bhut Jolokia - 24
Yellow Bhut Jolokia - 12
Red Savina - 24
Bih Jolokia - 5
Naga Morich - 5
Dorset Naga - 5
Trinidad Scorpion - 10
Yellow 7 Pod - 16
Fatalii - 8
Bonda ma Jacques - 8
Burkina - 8
Choc Habs - 10
Douglah - 9

Nice list of peppers you got going there. I find it hard not to check on mine every few hours to see if something has popped up!

I soaked my seeds overnight in water, and a couple of them had tap roots the next morning when I went to plant. So, I peeked at them this morning to see if those happened to pop up yet. I have to travel on business this week, so I won't be checking in on them until Wednesday.

After that, I'll probably be doing the same thing, checking multiple times per day!

Yep, four days from sowing. This is my first year growing peppers from seed, and it is a great feeling to see that little bugger pushing up!

So you couldn't wait any longer, huh?:lol:

My target date was, and still is, Feb 01 and I'm stickin' to it, dammit!

Of course, I feel like I drank 12 beers and I'm lookin' for a rest-stop, if you know what I mean.

Great start! Don't forget the pics.

kiddc said:
Congrats! Choc hab grows fast too, IMHO :)

You ain't kidding. Of the 144 peat pots I seeded, I did 10 of them with Choc Habs. Well, FIVE of them started popping up today, so after just five days, I'm already at 60% germination on them.

NoVa Hothead said:
You ain't kidding. Of the 144 peat pots I seeded, I did 10 of them with Choc Habs. Well, FIVE of them started popping up today, so after just five days, I'm already at 60% germination on them.

5 days at 60% is pretty damn quick. I think my quickest is 6 days with habs but that was rare. what are your plans for potting up?

Once the second set of true leaves appears, I'll be potting up into a 3.5" square pot. My brother in law and I are doing this together, and we built two grow boxes that are big enough to hold all 144 seedlings in 3.5" containers (8 nursery flats, 4 in each grow box). Naturally, we don't expect them all to sprout, and don't expect all the seedlings to survive. Our target is a total of 100 plants, although the grow boxes are only big enough to get 64 1 gallon pots in them (assuming a 6" diameter).

DownRiver said:
Don't forget the pics.

First photos!

Here's a shot that shows the six peat pucks that had cotelydons fully exposed and were just moved under the lights

IMGA0376.jpg

Here are a couple close ups of the seedlings, these are all choc habs, from two different sources

IMGA0370.jpg

IMGA0373.jpg

For me, the best part of seeing this activity after just six days since sowing the seeds is that it means I'm not screwing up! At least not yet!

Alright Nova! Looks like you've got a great start bro. Doesn't it feel freaking great to get going again? Man I love this pepper thing. Best of luck to you man.

One day later, and I now have 15 seedlings under lights, and another dozen that are pushing up. One week afte sowing, I'm already at a 20% germination rate, and have nine different varieties germinated. Hardly surprising, but none of the jolokias or scorpions have germinated yet.

Back