• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

NoVa's Grow Log

This is from my blog (link is in signature):

Finally! Seeds in dirt! Wooohooo! 144 peat pucks have been filled with 13 different varieties from 7 different sources, for a total of 18 different types to track (5 varieties are being planted from two sources). They were just sown, so the temps aren't back up to where they need to be yet.

IMGA0344.jpg

IMGA0349.jpg

IMGA0351.jpg

Well, germination fell off the face of the planet, and I was left short on some plants that I really wanted. So, another 36 peat pucks were sown today with four different varieties of Trinidad Scorpions, more 7 Pots, Bonda ma Jacques, and I threw in some Yellow Congos for good measure. The tray is only half filled, so I've got some space for when the Seed Parcel gets to me after Downriver receives and sends out, as well as to start some annuums.

Tomorrow, I'll be potting up another 24 seedlings, which gets me right to the end of what germinated out of the initial 144 peat pucks, about 66% germination rate. I'll post photos afterwards.

Okay, time for an update:

First, of the 36 peat pucks sown last weekend, I've already got a 50% germination rate. I've also had 5 of the original peat pucks germinate, so they're coming up slowly and I'll give them time to see what comes up.

Next, I traded with Cappy for some of his Brain Strain, and will be sowing some of those this weekend. Additionally, I presently have one of the Seed Parcels from the seed trading board, and have a few new items to sow from that as well. Getting close to maxing out space!

Additionally, I added some lights to my grow box. I hung a six light bathroom vanity fixture that I got at Home Depot for

Plants look great. I am interested to see what differences there are from the billyboy douglahs and the one I have growing.

jacob

Ciao NoVa-

Wow, good job! That Choco Hab looks way healthier than Duane's from last year. He had to baby it all the way to the transplanting outside, but then it did finally take off and gave him a nice harvest. Sorry you had to re-sow. That's always a real drag. Peppers take so much time to begin with.

Skydiver - Thanks! Since this is my first season growing peppers from seeds, I'm pretty happy with the progress to date.

Sorellina - Glad that they turned out well later on. Maybe I've just been lucky, but all 10 Choc Habs that we sowed have been some of the best growth we've seen so far.

Hey Nova great going!Enjoy it big time.Been a hobby here but changed to selling .See ya this fall ,,still owe ya. Rich

Hey, plants look awesome NoVa! Keep up the good work.:)

I started doing a Rhizotonic foliar spray on Sunday, and there's a noticable difference already. The plants just look more vibrant to me, and there's less "droop" to their leaves.

The rhizotonic is making these things take off! Holy cow, what a difference a week makes! I swear that these things all grew about an inch and a half or more, had to move the chains on the lights a couple times.

IMGA0655.jpg

Here's one of the trinidad scorpions

IMGA0659.jpg

IMGA0658.jpg

Here's a chocolate hab that my cat started chewing on while I was bottom watering them

IMGA0660.jpg

Those plants look so amazingly healthy.
Whats your secret other than the lighting? Anything other than flourecent here would give me a rediculous electric bill.

Great looking plants NoVa! Nice to see we're getting a bunch of Virginia growers. With all this snow we had, this will be a great year to plant in the ground. What are you going to do with all those plants? I only had 35+ last year and got overwhelmed.

FadeToBlack said:
Those plants look so amazingly healthy.
Whats your secret other than the lighting? Anything other than flourecent here would give me a rediculous electric bill.

I'm only using fluorescent, two fixtures with two 48" T12 tubes apiece, and then an additional fixture that presently has three spotlight bulbs to increase temp of the grow box and three CFLs. However, I created my own potting mix with a combination of peat, composted manure, coco, perlite, and dolomitic lime. The plants seem to be doing well in it, but I'm also using Canna Terra products for nutes, and they're helping. I'm using Rhizotonic as a foliar feed, and Vega for bottom watering. I'm going to add either Cal-Mag or epsom to the foliar spray in order to ensure that I'm getting that covered as well. I also have two fans in the grow box, and aside from helping to avoid any fungal issues, it seems to be helping with stem strength.

bigt said:
Great looking plants NoVa! Nice to see we're getting a bunch of Virginia growers. With all this snow we had, this will be a great year to plant in the ground. What are you going to do with all those plants? I only had 35+ last year and got overwhelmed.

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned that I've bitten off more than I can chew, but will seek some time saving alternatives after they go outside. For example, I'm going to use a drip hose to water them, and put it on a timer to do it in the morning. In order to help control aphids and other pests, I'm going to be buying ladybugs and other assorted friendly predators. I also have my wife to help me, as she's home during the day.

Looking forward to seeing the pods come in!

Back