• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

NoVa's Grow Log

This is from my blog (link is in signature):

Finally! Seeds in dirt! Wooohooo! 144 peat pucks have been filled with 13 different varieties from 7 different sources, for a total of 18 different types to track (5 varieties are being planted from two sources). They were just sown, so the temps aren't back up to where they need to be yet.

IMGA0344.jpg

IMGA0349.jpg

IMGA0351.jpg

Pepperfreak said:
Looking good! How close are your lights? I usually keep mine about 1" from the plants.

Between .75" and 1.5" away, depending on the height of the seedling, which has been determined more by how long it was out of soil before I got it out and stuck it under the lights.

That is a very nice setup, and a great collection! :)

Wish I had grow lights...:( I just put a piece of painted yellow cardboard on top to fool them...:P

7 more seedlings went under lights tonight, for a total of 39. My jolokias are starting to push up now, I think there are only two varieties that haven't at least pushed one up yet: Yellow Bhut Jolokia and Bonda ma Jacques. Still early, plenty of time, just letting others know which of mine are coming up more slowly.

BTW, had a seedling that came up with the seed coat, and yesterday I wisely wet it with a drop of water and left it alone. Tonight, the cotelydons were pushing it out, and I gently touched the seed coat with the tip of my finger and it fell right off, leaving perfect cotelydons in place. I know it is easy to get the temptation to take action on them, but if they're still in a humidity dome, just put a drop of water on it and the seedling will do the rest.

I'm now up to 57 seedlings under lights, with all varieties having at least one seedling under light.

Here's a shot of my grow box with everything under lights:

IMGA0410.jpg

Here's a close up of some of the Fataliis:

IMGA0418.jpg

Here's Red Savina:

IMGA0417.jpg

Here's some of the Bhut Jolokia:

IMGA0415.jpg

I'll try to get some of the other varieties up over the weekend.

I've started potting up from the pucks, more out of concern before roots start getting into the puck netting than anything else. All of these seedlings have buds for their true leaves, and appear to be growing slower than others I see on this site. I think this is simply due to the low temp of my basement, but we'll see over time.

I made my own blend of potting materials: 2 parts peat, 1 part composted cow manure, 1 part coco, 1 part perlite, and a small amount of ground dolomitic lime. This is also the first time that the seedlings are getting nutrients. In addition to the composted manure, I bottom watered with a mixture of Canna Terra Vega and Canna Rhizotonic, both at 25% of recommended strength.

IMGA0437.jpg

IMGA0440.jpg

IMGA0439.jpg

IMGA0438.jpg

Did another two trays worth of potting up to 3.5" pots tonight, for a total of four trays of 18 plants apiece. As I mentioned previously, I'm doing this with a family member, so a tray and a half have been moved over to his house, and I've got two and a half trays now.

Unfortunately, it seems like the power loss from the snow blizzard has had an impact on my germination. I had very steady germination going on right up until I lost power. I've had some seedlings push up since I got the power back, but at a much slower rate than before.

jjs7741 said:
Well hopefully it only slowed down germination instead of stopped it completely.

jacob

That's what I'm hoping. Either way, I'll be sowing some more seeds once the US Seed Trading Parcel makes its way to me, which I'd estimate will be another week and a half. I saved a few extras for almost everything I sowed, and just ordered more of a bunch as well. So, whatever I don't see germinated by that time, I'll sow the spares. I should be able to stick to my initial grow plan.

Bhut Jolokia - 24
Yellow Bhut Jolokia - 12
Red Savina - 24
Bih Jolokia - 5
Naga Morich - 5
Dorset Naga - 5
Trinidad Scorpion - 10
Yellow 7 Pod - 16
Fatalii - 8
Bonda ma Jacques - 8
Burkina - 8
Choc Habs - 10
Douglah - 9

I like your list!!!!

NoVa, one quick word of advice if I may...label those little peppers...I don't care if you stick a label on a toothpick. For some reason pepper seedlings get misidentified in the shuffle many times, labeling is to save your sanity. lol. That's voiice of experience there.

pepperfever said:
NoVa, one quick word of advice if I may...label those little peppers...I don't care if you stick a label on a toothpick. For some reason pepper seedlings get misidentified in the shuffle many times, labeling is to save your sanity. lol. That's voiice of experience there.

They are. When I germinated, I made a map of what was in each puck, and as they came out of the germination tray, they were grouped together by number. Now that they're going into 3.5" pots, each pot is getting labelled.

I suspect I'll still end up with a few that get mixed up, but should be able to identify as they start flowering, or maybe based off leaf structure.

Back