• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest November Throwdown

For the waffle throwdown....

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
y'all have fun with that one...

I made meatloaf 8 years ago with some ground beef purchased that day from a local store......and can never touch it again... that's us and meatloaf.

I am with you on this one.

It's a big wad of greasy ground beef with ketchup on top of it. I have tried it several times from several different people (all claiming theirs was the best......theirs was different!) They all had that funky, mealy, not quite all meat texture that most people seem to crave.

I can't do it. :shame:

I am with you on this one.

It's a big wad of greasy ground beef with ketchup on top of it. I have tried it several times from several different people (all claiming theirs was the best......theirs was different!) They all had that funky, mealy, not quite all meat texture that most people seem to crave.

I can't do it. :shame:
Ditto. Unless, of course, there was a requirement to sculpt it into something meat shouldn't be sculpted into. Oh wait.... been there, done that already. But you haven't - could be hilarious! ;)

Ditto. Unless, of course, there was a requirement to sculpt it into something meat shouldn't be sculpted into. Oh wait.... been there, done that already. But you haven't - could be hilarious! ;)

Hmmmmmm...... :think:

What could I shape a meatloaf into that would be a fair representation of the way it tastes.....

Ground meat sculpture TD! Could be the start of a whole new discussion!. :think:

Who the hell puts ketchup on meatloaf? THE HORROR! I know what meat sculpture I'd make!

Everyone I've ever seen.

What do you use?

Never even seen ketchup on meatloaf except in pictures. I use salsa, or hot sauce. Ketchup? Really?

I like the idea of soup, or meatloaf...but presentation will be an issue. Usually, the best meatloaf is the one that looks like road-kill.

Anyone considered an Asian theme? the die-hard Ramenators could still throw in, and Asian food lends itself to the use of copious amounts of chile. I've got a great little shrimp and peanut dish over rice noodles...with lots of peppers...

If I were to make meatloaf, it would have NO EGGS.....NO BREAD.....and would be topped with a mushroom gravy of some type.....

....at which point it would no longer BE a meatloaf.

Yes.....REALLY.....ketchup. It's the nastiest thing. But, I suppose you need it to mask the flavor of the loaf itself. ;)

I don't put anything on the meatloaf while it cooks but have thought of adding pepper jelly near the end as a glaze or hoisin sauce. I have used bread crumbs in the past, never use eggs. Cook rice and let it marinate in hot sauce and spices instead of using bread. I use curry powder, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic powder... Also I chop up sweet bell pepper and onions and mix into the loaf.

You could add chopped hot peppers, marinate the rice with steak sauce...

I serve it with mustard or mayo.

My daughter recently tried to make meatloaf on her own for the first time - - no recipe, no calling anyone for pointers. Now I don't make meatloaf, so admittedly, I wouldn't be any help. She told me she used no egg and no bread - just meat and seasoning. And basically ended up with a rectangular hocky puck which she first tried the ketchup trick to salvage. Then she threw it away. :sick:

You know, it occurs to me that FD4 could have a twisted sense of humor, and inflict meatloaf on us all. Maybe we should change the subject......

I don't put anything on the meatloaf while it cooks but have thought of adding pepper jelly near the end as a glaze or hoisin sauce. I have used bread crumbs in the past, never use eggs. Cook rice and let it marinate in hot sauce and spices instead of using bread. I use curry powder, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic powder... Also I chop up sweet bell pepper and onions and mix into the loaf.

You could add chopped hot peppers, marinate the rice with steak sauce...

I serve it with mustard or mayo.

What you're describing sounds like an inside-out stuffed pepper more than it does a meatloaf.

I could eat that. ;)

I'm sure it would taste great with a Keystone Light. And now that you mentioned it I want stuffed peppers. My mom made the best!

With enough Keystone Light you can eat anything, you just might not keep it down. I like a good meatloaf with a brown gravy and smashed taters, but I'm with the rest not for TD. I like LB's asian theme, but as geeme says I'm sure FD4 will fix us up good :eek:

With enough Keystone Light you can eat anything

This is very true.

Today.....I bought Keystone Ice. It is very good. :beer:

I still like the "Chopped" idea.....give us a short list of ingredients we have to use, and let us go. BUT, I've also thought a Cajun theme would be cool too.

Just checking in on this thread. Wow. These are the real ideas? I guess I'll take over again next time :lol:

Don't worry about repeating things either. Nothing wrong with some of the good ones we had before. You could keep them the same or add a twist whatever.

Come on FD4. You're giving the FLA Posse a bad rep ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back