event NW Chilefest 2013 Discussion

Aaaiiight!  Cook Away! 

What did you need from me for the bread?  I have a good sized electric griddle that would work great for grilling sammies, hashers, etc.  I'm not planning on bringing the trailer.  I have the monster burner cooker, elec chafing dish, elec griddle, white gas stove.....crock pot.....  DO..... 

Let me know if anything is needed.

Something to cook the bread on top of the fire pit :) Figure I could cover it with foil like we did with the pizza last year.  I thought about dutch ovening it, but not sure about cutting it into sandwiches afterwards.  Also, haven't dwelled into cast iron so unsure of the consistency in cooking bread on top of a fire pit. I hear raves about it but haven't had the means to try it. Anyways, figure you might have some ideas on that and possibly the know how.

Hmmmm......  I'll Ruminate on it.....bet we can come up with sumthin'...Are you planning on making the dough ahead or wing it on-site?

salsalady said:
SSSsshhhhhhh!!!!  I'm gonna patent it and sell it and make MILLIONS$$$$.  :lol:

HH81.....Dude, you're gonna spend the whole time cooking!  I mean, if that's what you WANT to do, that's great.  But simple is good too. 

Breakfast- muffins and coffee
Lunch- cold cuts (I'm bringing ham etc)
Dinner-  something cooked....

DD- I'll have some Scratch and dents but not too many.  I sold a bunch at a garage sale a couple months ago.  I'll see what I can find.  Oh, and Fresh Salsa~~~~  :)
I have a few cases of sauce I made that I'm not selling on my web site - I'm bringing those.
How are we working food? I don't know what I can bring.

:lol:  OK~ 

Y'know, it seems when we go group camping that lunch is kinda ignored.  We do a breakfast (usually goes for an hour or so as people get up at their own times, and then everyone takes off during the day to do whatever, and when they wander back to camp in the late afternoon, we start thinking about dinner stuff.  If someone wants a lunch, they do their own thing at their own time.  The campground has a snack bar which, iirm, has burgers etc. 

HH, what do you think about doing the pastrami sammies for dinner Friday?

DD, we're working on the food stuff, Do you or Kathy have a favorite salad or dessert that would travel well?  That pretzel dessert is easy to assemble on-site.  There'll probably be other things as we get it pinned down.

And others can chime in also.

Oops, meant for dinner.  The wife and I generally only twice a day anyways.  The wife is still pondering the menu, she also wants to do something for Saturday in addition to what I'm doing.

salsalady said:
:lol:  OK~ 

Y'know, it seems when we go group camping that lunch is kinda ignored.  We do a breakfast (usually goes for an hour or so as people get up at their own times, and then everyone takes off during the day to do whatever, and when they wander back to camp in the late afternoon, we start thinking about dinner stuff.  If someone wants a lunch, they do their own thing at their own time.  The campground has a snack bar which, iirm, has burgers etc. 

HH, what do you think about doing the pastrami sammies for dinner Friday?

DD, we're working on the food stuff, Do you or Kathy have a favorite salad or dessert that would travel well?  That pretzel dessert is easy to assemble on-site.  There'll probably be other things as we get it pinned down.

And others can chime in also.
Kathy makes a killer Chinese chicken salad, but that may not travel that we'll? I just had a thought - I could make lemon bars spiked with some type of chili, maybe fresh, maybe dried. Hot lemon bars would be refreshing :)
Are hamburgers anywhere in the menu? :woohoo:

I think burgers are the Saturday afternoon party meal.  Everyone bring a pound of ground beef, let's throw 'em all in together and make a couple different blends- a regular and a spicy. 

We had to cancel our reservations this year. Having scheduling issues....

You all have a BLAST! And we'll be thinkin' of ya!  :)

SAY IT AIN'T SO CJ!!! Its been a year since we seen you guys and now I may have to wait another year to get my drink on with y'all! Hope they don't work guys to death over there.  You guys will be missed for sure!

Hello all, it has been too long since i have been on here. I am so looking forward to this years NW fest/camp. I was not sure I was going to be able to make it this time of year but things are coming together for Tristan and I. It has been so busy that I only grew 4 pepper plants this year. 

Good to hear 1F1!!!! I wouldn't worry about growing..... we didn't grow at all this year. Glad that you guys will be joining the hot fire fun :) see you in 15 days!!!

Hate to butt in here, but Salsalady mentioned this event to me when I joined this forum earlier this year.  Unfortunately I have a schedule conflict this year, else I would love to make it and meet many of you, since I have read so many of your posts.
But, the reason I interrupted here is that I got a bunch of seeds from Steve954 who is distributing the MoA Scotch Bonnet seeds on this list.  He sent me many extras and asked that I distribute them to some of the chiliheads up here in the Pac NW.   I was thinking that I could hand them off to someone that is local here and they could take them to the NWCF 13 event and hand them out to anyone that wanted some?
Any interest?
I am located in the Kent Covington area, so I know a few of you are pretty close to me.
Let me know if you would be interested in some of these seed, or taking these over to the event.

that's a really generous offer.  Good chance that could happen.  Or drop them into the mail?

Sorry you can't make it this year.  We'll probably be back over the hump next year.  A lot closer for folks and especially day-trippers.   

NWCF is less than 2 weeks away!!! So far, I got a pound of hamburger on the list. HH, SL, anything you would like us to bring too?

CHILI PEOPLE ROCK!!! :woohoo:

LD, I have the sauces.  Opened but not consumed! (and only by sheer will and sense of duty!!!!)

Let's see-  Everyone on Saturday bring 1/2-1 lb ground beef per family.  we'll figure out the seasonings onsite. 

DD, I have cutlery and plates that were brought last year.   I'll do the fresh veggie(lettuce/tom/oni) for the burgers.  I'm nominating HH81 to cook the burgers if he's up for it.  Everyone bring a side dish or dessert for the Saturday  meal.

DD if you could bring 2dz burger bunz, ...we're set!

I'll bring 'schrooms and onies to sauté...for the burgers. 

I'm figuring everyone's on their own for breakfast until Sunday.  Biscuits and gravy with eggs cooked to order at My Place~~~  Sunday morning. ....

salsalady said:
LD, I have the sauces.  Opened but not consumed! (and only by sheer will and sense of duty!!!!)

Let's see-  Everyone on Saturday bring 1/2-1 lb ground beef per family.  we'll figure out the seasonings onsite. 

DD, I have cutlery and plates that were brought last year.   I'll do the fresh veggie(lettuce/tom/oni) for the burgers.  I'm nominating HH81 to cook the burgers if he's up for it.  Everyone bring a side dish or dessert for the Saturday  meal.

I'm figuring everyone's on their own for breakfast until Sunday.  Biscuits and gravy with eggs cooked to order at My Place~~~  Sunday morning. ....
2dz burger buns - I'm all over that, yep, I'll bring those!

bpwilly said:
Hate to butt in here, but Salsalady mentioned this event to me when I joined this forum earlier this year.  Unfortunately I have a schedule conflict this year, else I would love to make it and meet many of you, since I have read so many of your posts.
But, the reason I interrupted here is that I got a bunch of seeds from Steve954 who is distributing the MoA Scotch Bonnet seeds on this list.  He sent me many extras and asked that I distribute them to some of the chiliheads up here in the Pac NW.   I was thinking that I could hand them off to someone that is local here and they could take them to the NWCF 13 event and hand them out to anyone that wanted some?
Any interest?
I am located in the Kent Covington area, so I know a few of you are pretty close to me.
Let me know if you would be interested in some of these seed, or taking these over to the event.

Hey BP, not sure exactly which way the wife and I are heading when we leave here, but we should be able to swing by somewhere near there.  PM me and we'll figure it out.  Not sure exactly how many people grow up here in WA, but I'm sure there will be some happy people there thanks to your generosity.

Let me know

salsalady said:

HMMMMM.... Didn't see this coming :)  No problem SL, I got you on the burgers. 

SL got a question, last year Scove brought the smoker, I haven't had a lot of success with mine, hard to maintain the necessary low temp.  I need to smoke the pastrami there, but I also wanted to smoke the chilies I got.  I can bring it with now that the kids are not coming with us. That's where Scovie originally came in, but since he isn't going to make it this year I figure you or SalsaDude would be able help.  Any ideas? Its non electric in case you needed to know. The lowest I was able to maintain it was roughly 280degrees.  The Pastrami needs to be 225 and the peppers need to be 110 or so.

Also, speaking of pastrami, its been sitting in my special brine now for almost 2 weeks, should be ready for smoking Thursday, cooled through the night and ready for devouring Friday, or I could smoke it Friday morning and slice it still warm and slapped on bread.  No pics as this computer is not allowing me to put it up on photo bucket for some reason.

Does anyone know if Big C is coming? What about Paul? and everyone else from last year?
Anyways, thanks SL and anything else you need let me know.

Back