• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2015

Hey everbody. Well I'm still working out of town and have been living in my 17ft travel trailer for the past 5 months. I've got some Jigsaw's soaking and when I get back home this weekend I'll start some more.
Tepin x Lemons are on the list. Thanks to Mike (smileyguy697) for this fantastic pepper. I've got some others on my mind as well, just can't decide. I will be doing SIP and raised beds again this year. Hope all is well out there in the community. Here's to 2015 grow and good luck to you all.
View attachment 18685

stickman said:
I'm looking forward to seeing plants in those raised beds Chuck! Go... go... go...go... ;)
bpwilly said:
Chuck,

Yoru grow this year is looking great.  I love seeing those huge leaves on the MOA's.  Another year of heat!

I know when I go into my greenhouse, I can pick the MOA out of all the other plants just by seeing the size of the leaves on the compact nature of the plant.  They are pretty unique.
Hey Rick it looks like the rain as left the area. I'm pulling the plants out to hardened off. Looks like some off and on cloud cover for the rest of the week. View attachment 22858

Thanks Bill. This is the first time growing them. Nice to see I'm getting some of the same traits. So far not like any other Hab I've grown.

I made some chile oil. Had a half gallon from last year, but girlfriend tossed it when I was out of town thinking it was no good. Noooooo. I start with throwing powder and flakes into the pot with a little oil. Turn the heat on low to give the pepper a jump start on releasing oil. Then I add the rest of the oil and bring almost to a boil stirring the whole time. If you don't stir the pepper will float to the bottom and possibly burn. Once I see some tiny bubbles I remove from heat and let cool. I don't have any fancy containers so I throw it back in the container ship t came from. Recycling 101. LOL. I don't strain the oil. I shake it up everyday. It is a orange color now, but will turn to a nice red. I don't refrigerate. Not had a problem with it ever going bad as long as you use completely dried pepper. The amount of pepper you use is up to you. I used 1/3 cup of Annuum and 2 table spoons of Chinese. But I like it hot.
View attachment 22861

maximumcapsicum said:
Pepper oil looks solid Chuck. What do you make with it?
Thanks Adam. I use it as a stir fry ingredient, coat chicken and spice when throwing on the grill. It's great with frying shrimp, or grilled shrimp. I even add a tad to butter when frying eggs. I thought about straining and doing deep fried wings. I use peanut oil because I like the flavor. I guess I'm use to it from Thai dishes. I've used canola before as well. When choosing a oil just look at the smoke point. Never tried olive. Next time I'll use my candy thermometer and get a precise temp. I will post a complete recipe with exact measurements next time. I usually make a gallon. I will be making a super hot oil as soon as I get my dried pods ground.Be aware of fumes. LOL. Here is a link on Smoke point. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

I got the plants out. The only ones left are the hydro to soil MOA,s, which are showing signs of growth. Don't want to shock to much at one time. I also left some bubblegum and jigsaw plants. They will be potted up in the next week.
View attachment 22863 View attachment 22864

maximumcapsicum said:
Plants look good. I am a big fan of the interlocking pots. May have to work on some oils myself this year. What kind of lights do you keep them under indoors?
There under a couple old t12 shop lights I purchased used for $2 a piece last year. I also threw a couple of these photography lights to the side. If I find a deal on t8 or even t5 I'll switch over. I really want a LED unit. I could probably get by with just 3 of those photography units.
View attachment 22868 View attachment 22869

I shut down the lights. Everything is out. The MoA's are doing great. No shock at all going from hydro to soil. Hopefully no problems hardening off. The MOA's are the last row of red buckets at the bottom. I might throw some plast over them tonight, so they don't shock to bad. I chose to use the fence as the back wall, so if I do add plastic it will vent thru the fence.
View attachment 22893

My work called me to come back. I might have to go out of town for work again, so I need to get everything in order. I'll still be home on the weekends. Need to get all my SIP's filled and ready to go.

OCD Chilehead said:
I shut down the lights. Everything is out. The MoA's are doing great. No shock at all going from hydro to soil. Hopefully no problems hardening off. The MOA's are the last row of red buckets at the bottom. I might throw some plast over them tonight, so they don't shock to bad. I chose to use the fence as the back wall, so if I do add plastic it will vent thru the fence.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg

My work called me to come back. I might have to go out of town for work again, so I need to get everything in order. I'll still be home on the weekends. Need to get all my SIP's filled and ready to go.
Very healthy plants.  Yeah, make double sure your plants will be properly hydrated while you're gone.  I hate relying on others.  We had another PNW glogger come home to dead plants whie he was away.  I think that's two, now. 

Roguejim said:
Very healthy plants.  Yeah, make double sure your plants will be properly hydrated while you're gone.  I hate relying on others.  We had another PNW glogger come home to dead plants whie he was away.  I think that's two, now.
That sucks. The SIP containers will hold there own for over a week. My bed's will probably have ground cover and mulch. I just need to figure out what to do with the smart pots. Last year they needed water like crazy. The plants didn't get that big. I'll have to come up with a drip system for them.

Decided to take it easy today. Made some powder. Ended up with 1lb of super powder. View attachment 22894 View attachment 22895

Dear god that is a lot of powder. Be careful!

Love those pots. I switched to square nursery pots this year and have enjoyed them. Smart pots do dry out fast. Rick had some ceramic water nannies he has had luck with. Ever give them a shot? You plug a bottle into the top of them.

maximumcapsicum said:
Dear god that is a lot of powder. Be careful!
Love those pots. I switched to square nursery pots this year and have enjoyed them. Smart pots do dry out fast. Rick had some ceramic water nannies he has had luck with. Ever give them a shot? You plug a bottle into the top of them.
Be careful? LOL when I took that shot with my phone, the wind came up and so did the powder. Right in my eye. Damn it burned bad. I still got the shot though. The square pots are cool. I used them last year. I saved these pots from construction sites up in Aspen last year. I love them. I also have some smaller ones. Never used them. I'll have to ask Rick about those.

Thanks for stopping by.

Chuck,

I had to laugh when you mentioned the wind coming up and getting powder in your eye.  Not laugh because it is funny, but because no matter how long we do things like this and know better, I end up burning myself ay least once a week come harvest season.  My wife laughs and tells me I will never learn!  I think she is right.

God luck on the pots while you are out of town.  I need to start thinking about something to help with mine as well if I pan on taking a vacation this year.  The SIP pots do fine, but everything else in a pot needs something.  If you come up with a solution, please share here so we can all benefit.

Good luck and nice looking crop so far.   That powder did look killer.

bpwilly said:
Chuck,

I had to laugh when you mentioned the wind coming up and getting powder in your eye.  Not laugh because it is funny, but because no matter how long we do things like this and know better, I end up burning myself ay least once a week come harvest season.  My wife laughs and tells me I will never learn!  I think she is right.

God luck on the pots while you are out of town.  I need to start thinking about something to help with mine as well if I pan on taking a vacation this year.  The SIP pots do fine, but everything else in a pot needs something.  If you come up with a solution, please share here so we can all benefit.

Good luck and nice looking crop so far.   That powder did look killer.
Thanks a bunch Bill.

I have a 50 gallon plastic drum. I thought about elevating it a bit and using a gravity drip system. I have about 10-12 plants that will be in regular containers. 50 gallons and a timer should work just fine for out of town situations.

Well I was checking out Turbo's SLOG yesterday and got the urge to make some sauce for the first time. Needless to say I'm hooked.
He said if there were no pictures it didn't happen. So here's some pictures and recipe. Sorry about the pic quality. I need to start using my camera and not the phone.

Recipe started out with.
1/2 lower portion of a white onion
2 medium sized mango
2 medium size carrots
2 tomatillos
7 peppers 6 peach fatalii and 1 screaming hot Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw
1 lime
1 garlic clove
1 cup of white vinegar
1 tsp is salt
3 crushed allspice berries

I started with everything but the spice thru a blender raw. Then I poured it into a pan. Brought it to a boil stirring the whole time. Removed and back into the blender. Poured sauce into a food mill twice. Returned to heat and added spice to taste. Simmered sauce stirring the whole time, until I liked the consistency. I like a thick sauce so that's what I was going for. View attachment 22914 View attachment 22915 View attachment 22916 View attachment 22917 View attachment 22918 View attachment 22919

This is definitely a vinegar type of sauce. I think next time I will add a little more Mango or maybe some Pineapple to balance sweet to sour ratio. A trade bit more salt wouldn't hurt either. Overall I like it. For the first time around, not bad. It's like my salsa. It always keeps getting better. I ended up with 15oz of sauce.

Let me know how that 50 gal drum works for you.  Not a bad idea at all.

Looks like a great first time sauce.   I like the color and thickness.

I have to say, I am jealous about your silicon spatula.  I have nuked way to many of the wood mixing spoons I have here at the house.  I think my wife will ban me from the kitchen if I ruin any more of her kitchen gear on hot sauces and purees.   I like how yours seems pretty self explanatory!

bpwilly said:
Let me know how that 50 gal drum works for you.  Not a bad idea at all.

Looks like a great first time sauce.   I like the color and thickness.

I have to say, I am jealous about your silicon spatula.  I have nuked way to many of the wood mixing spoons I have here at the house.  I think my wife will ban me from the kitchen if I ruin any more of her kitchen gear on hot sauces and purees.   I like how yours seems pretty self explanatory!
I think I have every thing to make it. I do need to get a spigot. Have a couple battery powered valves as well. I need to make a platform the can sustain the weight of the drum.

The sauce came out good. I had it on a burger last night. Next time I'll try caramelizing the onions and garlic. That will balance it out. Maybe a little less vinegar. The heat is where I want it.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend Bill.

coachspencerxc said:
Sauce looks great!
Thanks Coach

Roguejim said:
You might try adding the vinegar during the final simmer, little by little. Hard to go wrong that way. Do the tomatillos come through?
I will do that Jim. The Tomatillos didn't come through. To much other stuff going on there. The sauce today sweetened up a bunch. Next time a little less vinegar and a little more garlic. I tried it as a dipping sauce tonight. Very hot after about a dozen fried shrimp. Still good though.

Aerogarden is up and running again. I've got my Tabanaga up front and Tepin x Lemondrop in the back.
View attachment 22979

Back