• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2017!!!

Well it's 2017. Finally! Last year was a success, as far as the ground plants were concerned. Virgin, clay ground. My Chinese got smacked by hail twice! No room for error with those. Out of 12 plants I got ONE BBG. First and only. That variety is cursed. Tried for the past 3 years and some sort of calimity happens.

This year I decided to try 21+ different varieties of the BBG. I have 9 Reaper crosses. 21 and counting other varieties. I built a hoophouse and some COB led's. Planning on getting them outside in March sometime. That might be a delusion, beings I'm in Colorado. We shall see. There is only a few varieties that I've grown before. The rest are all new. I'm planning on isolating most of them.

Just started some Lemon Drops for Throwdown Growdown. I will wait a couple weeks before I start the others. Everything needs to be in order before I germinate. No turning back at that point. I want two plants from most varieties. Plants need to be woody by ground day. That's the only way I have a chance at success with late maturity varieties. If I have extras, I'll give away to my friends of THP.

My list is growing, but not much. Here is some of the varieties that made the cut.

Naga BBG (Red)
Chocolate BBG
Orange BBG (ISO)
BBG x PDN
Tobago Treasure x BBG
Red Gum Tiger Mamp
BBG Peach Ghost Jami
BBG Cluster
BBG Yellow (large)
BBG Scorpion
Aji Jobito x BBG
Red Gum Nagabrain Tiger Mamp
Peach Bhut BBG
BBG Apocalypse
Bhutla x BBG
Srtsl x BBG
7pot Lava Chocolate x BBG
Bleeding Borg9
Tommy Gum
Orange Naga BBG
Peach Naga BBG

Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero
Reaper x Yellow Scorpion
Reaper x Purple Bhut
Reaper x Pimenta
Reaper x Peach Bhut
Naga Reaper
Brainstrain x Reaper
Sepia Reaper x Neyde
ButchT x Reaper

Congo x ButchT
Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo
Apocalypse Scorpion
Black Bhutlah Scorpion
Primo
Chocolate Primo
Baby Morich
Scorpion XXX (Holiday)
Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode
Nagabon
BOC (Gary)
Andy's King BOC
Bhut Peach
Jigsaw x Habanero
Giant Trinidad Scorpion (Randy)
Taba Naga
Perfect red Bhut (Rick)
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (Jukka)
Scotch Brain (ISO)
Naga Brain Yellow
Rocato (Chinese) (Jukka)

3Way Caribbean Red
4Way Caribbean Red
Foodarama
Sicman's Mystery (Red, Purple Spots) (Jason)
SB7J (UFO) (Justin)
Venezuela Tiger x SRTSL
Mustard Moruga Brain
Black Panther
Aji Lemondrop
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Sadabahar
Chi-Chien
Goats Weed

Thanks for stopping by. Wish you all the best of luck in 2017.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the good vibes my friends.

This is the first time trying this method. I decided to use those little cotton disc's, that people use to clean there face with. They are thick and hold some water. I just put the seeds on top of them and squirted water on them until the disc was saturated. I have them in a styrofoam cooler with a heat mat under it at 84 degrees. Never herd of salt petre. I'll have to look it up.
Salt Petre is Potassium Nitrate / KN03, same stuff used for Spectracide stump remover.  Its working well for me.  I used to use it back in my growing past in 2001 - 2006 quite often.  I think I got it from the peppergal catalog back then in a little back.  Well the bottle of stump remover is like $7 and there's enough in there to last rest of my life unless I use it on some stumps, which I probably will.  Its supposed to soften the seed coat and simulate like it was passed through a birds digestive tract.   I don't know for sure, but it worked back in the day and had some stubborn ones again this year so decided to get it.  I have a few of mine and a few from others that have been particularly stubborn this year.  Some isolated jays peach I saved that I didn't think would ever sprout I started a second batch soaking in the KNO3 first and they started spouting in 4 to 5 days.  I opened the orignal bag I started on 1/2 last night and finally 5 of 6 had sprouted but it took them 3 weeks.  Not sure why they are so stubborn this year never had that with Jay's peach before.

wait, you grew that many bbg's and only got 1? 1 pepper or 1 plant? I didnt realize they were still that unstable and chose quite alot of bbg strains to try this year but i can only do one per variety... now i feel like i should chuck em and go with more stable strains... then again, i can just sell them as sfrb peppers if they dont grow true but that would suck as i wanted to add them to my seed line... guess we will see

jcw10tc said:
Salt Petre is Potassium Nitrate / KN03, same stuff used for Spectracide stump remover.  Its working well for me.  I used to use it back in my growing past in 2001 - 2006 quite often.  I think I got it from the peppergal catalog back then in a little back.  Well the bottle of stump remover is like $7 and there's enough in there to last rest of my life unless I use it on some stumps, which I probably will.  Its supposed to soften the seed coat and simulate like it was passed through a birds digestive tract.   I don't know for sure, but it worked back in the day and had some stubborn ones again this year so decided to get it.  I have a few of mine and a few from others that have been particularly stubborn this year.  Some isolated jays peach I saved that I didn't think would ever sprout I started a second batch soaking in the KNO3 first and they started spouting in 4 to 5 days.  I opened the orignal bag I started on 1/2 last night and finally 5 of 6 had sprouted but it took them 3 weeks.  Not sure why they are so stubborn this year never had that with Jay's peach before.
Thanks for the information. I'll have to get some to keep on hand. May have to experiment. This is my first batch of seeds. The Annuum's will come later.

JUR-Z-Devil said:
wait, you grew that many bbg's and only got 1? 1 pepper or 1 plant? I didnt realize they were still that unstable and chose quite alot of bbg strains to try this year but i can only do one per variety... now i feel like i should chuck em and go with more stable strains... then again, i can just sell them as sfrb peppers if they dont grow true but that would suck as i wanted to add them to my seed line... guess we will see
Oh, don't throw them out. You might have been referencing my previous years experience with BBG. I always seem to encounter some sort of disaster with the BBG. It has nothing to do with the variety, just Mother Nature. Got hit with hail twice last year. I think all my Supers flowered and dropped three times. I only got one pod as a result.

Good luck with your grow!

i just watched a video on youtube where a guy had a bunch of bbg's and he only got one on one plant too... oh now im anxious... i guess there is always next year if the ones i plant dont work out... I love the bbgs.. i envy your list... id kill for mot of those but cant buy anymore and im running out of seeds to trade... i still have a good 70 varieties this year so cant really complain.. I had some peach bb7 naga's and none germinated... had mustard and chocolate moruga brains and none germinated... I lost alot in trades that showed up and were no good... its all good though it was fun trading with people around the world... plus it gives me more room to plant a lot of mutant candlelights i have coming from norway and a secret project plant i have been working on for a long time i plan to introduce this season to everyone... Nothing like it... Ill be crossing alot with that plant this season and gonna try mutant candlelight crosses... wont have any of my secret plant to sell or trade for a few seasons but its ready to be shown off this season...

JUR-Z-Devil said:
i just watched a video on youtube where a guy had a bunch of bbg's and he only got one on one plant too... oh now im anxious... i guess there is always next year if the ones i plant dont work out... I love the bbgs.. i envy your list... id kill for mot of those but cant buy anymore and im running out of seeds to trade... i still have a good 70 varieties this year so cant really complain.. I had some peach bb7 naga's and none germinated... had mustard and chocolate moruga brains and none germinated... I lost alot in trades that showed up and were no good... its all good though it was fun trading with people around the world... plus it gives me more room to plant a lot of mutant candlelights i have coming from norway and a secret project plant i have been working on for a long time i plan to introduce this season to everyone... Nothing like it... Ill be crossing alot with that plant this season and gonna try mutant candlelight crosses... wont have any of my secret plant to sell or trade for a few seasons but its ready to be shown off this season...
Sounds like your off to a great start, Jason. I'm going to try and isolate most of them. Pick and choose desired traits and save seeds for next year. I was going to order some of those mutant candlelights. Very cool looking plant. Would make a cool Bonchi. Maybe next year. Good luck with your project. Always cool to see another new plant.

i already have 2 mutants seedlings growing and a pack coming from norway... ill see how many show up... if theres enough ill send ya some... im really looking forward to seeing if i can make crosses with it... im gonna try with all 70 varieties and the same with my secret plant...

JUR-Z-Devil said:
i already have 2 mutants seedlings growing and a pack coming from norway... ill see how many show up... if theres enough ill send ya some... im really looking forward to seeing if i can make crosses with it... im gonna try with all 70 varieties and the same with my secret plant...
Thanks for the offer. Hope you fare well in your project. Sound interesting.

Devv said:
Glad your chosen method of germination is working well for you Chuck. Mine although so slow is the kitchen table. One has to stick with what works ;)

Keep it green!
Thank Scott!

Yes and no. My tried and true method is paper towel and baggies. I had so many varieties this year, I couldn't see myself opening every baggy and peeling every paper towel to check germination. I took a bit of a chance with a new method. I've been opening them every day to get air. I let them air for about 30min the other morning. Decided to let them be for a day. So far so good. We shall see tomorrow.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thank Scott!

Yes and no. My tried and true method is paper towel and baggies. I had so many varieties this year, I couldn't see myself opening every baggy and peeling every paper towel to check germination. I took a bit of a chance with a new method. I've been opening them every day to get air. I let them air for about 30min the other morning. Decided to let them be for a day. So far so good. We shall see tomorrow.

a little improvement i found on the paper towel method is if you take a long 2 inch wide piece of paper towel, foldit in half so its now 1"x however long... open it and put a row of seeds in the crease... fold it over... moisten.. put it in the plastic bag with the opening of the fold facing the opening of the baggy then thumbtack the baggy to the wall or magnet it to the fridge or where ever is warm...

the roots will grow out the bottom of the crease for easy separation and if left in there little green seedlings will grow out the top opening letting you know when its ready... just a variation but makes a lot of seed types easier to get out and helps with the seed separating from the seedling like growing out of dirt.. proper gravity and all...

JUR-Z-Devil said:

a little improvement i found on the paper towel method is if you take a long 2 inch wide piece of paper towel, foldit in half so its now 1"x however long... open it and put a row of seeds in the crease... fold it over... moisten.. put it in the plastic bag with the opening of the fold facing the opening of the baggy then thumbtack the baggy to the wall or magnet it to the fridge or where ever is warm...

the roots will grow out the bottom of the crease for easy separation and if left in there little green seedlings will grow out the top opening letting you know when its ready... just a variation but makes a lot of seed types easier to get out and helps with the seed separating from the seedling like growing out of dirt.. proper gravity and all...
JUR-Z-Devil said:
you can then just cutoff the ready ones and plant them without removing the paper towel
Wow! That's so simple. Can't believe I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.

Chuck I feel way behind because I will not start germ for another week.My plant date I pushed to 2nd week of May instead of first week in Iowa because the things would just sit there pissed because the nights are still cool.I am following your glog buddy.Good Luck.

randyp said:
Chuck I feel way behind because I will not start germ for another week.My plant date I pushed to 2nd week of May instead of first week in Iowa because the things would just sit there pissed because the nights are still cool.I am following your glog buddy.Good Luck.
I know the feeling Randy. It stays cold here all year. The warmest it gets is 60 at night and not very often. I've got some germinations I need to plant.

I'm sure you'll do well. Those plants did well last year. Hope I get some plants like that this year.

Had a jighab come up ;) That one had me worried, it wanted to be a helmet head. I saw that while it was hooking and put some more seed starter mix on top of the helmet and wet it nicely. Tigermamp is going strong, as well as the BOC. Brain fart, but I don't recall the rest I planted, but everything now is standing!.

Thanks again for the seeds!

Devv said:
Had a jighab come up ;) That one had me worried, it wanted to be a helmet head. I saw that while it was hooking and put some more seed starter mix on top of the helmet and wet it nicely. Tigermamp is going strong, as well as the BOC. Brain fart, but I don't recall the rest I planted, but everything now is standing!.

when that happens to mine and they are already greenish and above ground (so i dont have to rebury them as after they start greening i found i lose a lot reburying them) isi take a long skinny piece of duct tape or other waterproof sports tape.. long and thin liketwice the width of the seed shell... I stick one end folded over onto the seed and pull it over so its leaning and tape the other end to the sideof the tray or pot so the seedling has something to pull against... works great

JUR-Z-Devil said:

when that happens to mine and they are already greenish and above ground (so i dont have to rebury them as after they start greening i found i lose a lot reburying them) isi take a long skinny piece of duct tape or other waterproof sports tape.. long and thin liketwice the width of the seed shell... I stick one end folded over onto the seed and pull it over so its leaning and tape the other end to the sideof the tray or pot so the seedling has something to pull against... works great

Good idea! Now I did this when the hooks had no color yet. They hooked (white) and the helmet came up at the same time. I had just 2 or 3 helmets this time around...it really helps to look at them daily.

Devv said:

If you need some more let me know. If you want to start more, now is the time.

JUR-Z-Devil said:

Dang! Another cool tip. Thanks Jason!

mpicante said:
Impressive grow list.Might have drop in a time or two this season,good luck to you on the season.
Florisa! How you doing? You should be getting things going down in SoCal. I wish I still lived there. Great weather. Well this Winter you've had crazy rain.

Thanks for stopping by.

Well I finally got some seeds to soil. I have another flat to do tonight. I had mixed results with germination. I have about 15 varieties that haven't popped. I had problems with heating mat. Got hotter than usual. I've corrected the problem but, damage may have been done. Not giving up. If I have nothing by Monday I'll try and start some more. If I have them.

Attachments

• IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    495.5 KB · Views: 68
Back