• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest October ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new idea is "be creative within these confines"...versus...here's 2 basic things you have to do, now let loose.
Not really, there are only so many kinds of traditional German sausage anyway, now there is that, plus pork roast, and more, and add your own twist, and it becomes something different. It's more of a list of tradition, and do your thang.

I'm supposed to be out of town, at the Weekend of Fire, for the TD, but am starting to reconsider. With all the WHINING that's been going on (geesh!) it seems like even someone like me (who has never made sausage before, has no sausage-making equipment, and doesn't even particularly like most sausage) could give a reasonable go at it and HAVE FUN. It's not about breaking the bank or buying new equipment, it's about putting your brain to work to see what you can make work - a challenge is a challenge! So if I'm in town, I'm IN!

(Now if I can just get a casing to cooperate with sculpted sausage meat, I'll have it made!)

Maybe next month we should implement a "no whining" rule.... :rolleyes:

Nice adjustment THP. I hope this gets more people to participate. It's not the same without some of the regulars. I would like to see how some of the "new talent" measures up to some of the "old salts".

On a side note, I had similar concerns about the last sausage throwdown, but they were quickly dispelled. I will list my concerns and the solutions below in figure A.

Figure A: Concerns

1. Where the hell am I going to get Sausage casing?

I went to Whole Foods, because I know they make their own sausage there.
I went up to the butcher and I was like, "Hey man, I gotta do this crazy ass thing where I make my own sausage, but I don't know where to get casing"
The guy was like, "cool"
So I was like, "...man, you think I can have enough casing for maybe 3 or 4 sausages?, I"ll pay for them".
And the guy said, "no problem bro. Here, no charge."

True story. It was free. If you can't find casings, go somewhere that makes sausage and just ask. I'll bet they'll give you some free, or charge you mere pennies.

2. I don't have expensive sausage-making equipment

The casing is, from what bear tells me, about the girth of a skinny condom. It fits over a piece of PVC.
Jam your meat (the sausage meat) into the pvc, slap on some wet casing, and push the meat in using a stick, plunger style.
It works, especially since you're only making 3 or 4 sausages.

When it gets to the desired length, give it a few twists and it should pop off.
(what??)

Thankfully you don't HAVE to make sausage for this one, but it CAN be done, and it's easier than it sounds. I hope everyone joins the fun!!!

FD

Nice adjustment THP. I hope this gets more people to participate. It's not the same without some of the regulars. I would like to see how some of the "new talent" measures up to some of the "old salts"
Okay so you like it too. Cool. There's a lack of comments after the complaints. Seems it would work. Thanks.

Three yes. Okay that seems enough to move forward. Don't forget beer. ;)

I hope everyone participates. There can be some real creativity here. Some of those side dishes kick ass and are begging for a THP spin.

LOL, Scovie - you need a LOT more practice if you're going to catch up!

Hmmm.... guess that also means wrapping myself in bacon isn't going to work, either...... and I thought I was on to something! :lol:

So what's the TD concensus for october. I feel like slouching back into the ring and I'm too lazy to read through this whole thread. :P

So what's the TD concensus for october. I feel like slouching back into the ring and I'm too lazy to read through this whole thread. :P

The theme, as I interpret it, is adult entertainment.
You have to make a dish featuring one hot pepper ingredient and a stripper, adult toy, or a sexual lubricant.

You can take as many preparation shots as you want, but the final post must have a title, two presentation pics, and at least one nipple must be visible.

The theme, as I interpret it, is adult entertainment.
You have to make a dish featuring one hot pepper ingredient and a stripper, adult toy, or a sexual lubricant.

You can take as many preparation shots as you want, but the final post must have a title, two presentation pics, and at least one nipple must be visible.

And post a pic with you in a bear suit or sitting on a donkey.

Sweet...I'll just slide a serrano between my wife's ample boobs. She's thin too...so it's not like...gross or anything.

the fact that my pretzel and leg of lamb, along with the two beers that I made did not win last year seriously angered me, and my vengeance will not be taken lightly

DSC_0116.jpg

prepare to meet your maker
Holy crap... how did I NOT see this?!
That's just beautiful, man! BEAUTIFUL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back