contest October ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude you can use bacon as a casing. no excuses.

I think THP made the rules loose for this just for that reason. The casing doesn't have to be poop-chute-lining.
I think you can think outside of the box on this one.

dude you can use bacon as a casing. no excuses.

I think THP made the rules loose for this just for that reason. The casing doesn't have to be poop-chute-lining.
I think you can think outside of the box on this one.

I honestly don't think I have what it takes to WIN with a piss-poor bacon wrapped "sucksage" :rofl: when there are some sausage makin' KINGS on this site!

No thanks on the effort....the money....or the time! ;)

Two homemade elements
1. Homemade bread
2. Homemade sausage (any spiced ground meat, fish, or veg, in any type of casing).
To be made into a dinner, a sandwich... a... gumbo... whatev!

All my bread and sausage making stuff is in storage and buried so I am out as well. I thought this was about Oktoberfest and not so much about homegrown bread and sausage?

Yeah, I'm out. Making sausage I'd actually want to eat is a lot of effort and it'd be just me eating it. Making sausage without a meat grinder is fail.

I really didn't expect so many complaints. We did sausage before and members always make bread. Two key components of German food. These are supposed to be challenging, and I try to keep them fresh and creative. So you guys are really against making bread and sausage? That is fine. So you can't wait for the next one, if some people like this one? I notice a lot of members feel the need to post "I'm out" and such, and complain about the limitations of the challenge when it doesn't suit them personally.

We can choose another less challenging one if this is what the majority wants. You guys decide and let me know.

I think making sausage is more than just a "challenge" if you're going to make it right. It requires actual tools to not be terrible.

But, that being said, I don't mind being out! I'm patient!

Edit: I guess, mulling it over more, it's kind of complain-y. I'll give it a shot. Sausage, even with the right tools, is a lot of work. So I can see why people hesitate without. Because I do. It's just not that "user friendly" of a challenge, I guess.

I've NEVER made sausage...OR bread, nor have I ever cared to attempt either. This is totally out of my "comfort zone". I'm all for expanding upon ideas, and trying new things...but this one would have me in floating in uncharted waters, like an Eskimo stuck in the rainforest.

That being said...F**k it...I'M IN.

I say go with it. I mean...shit...melba toast, swiss chard,and cornish game hen...or the $5 feast, when most of us spend 10 times that or more on a single TD...

I am NOT one to "pep-talk" anyone, nor do I enjoy the THP status to credibly do so. But this is a challenge...they get harder...they make us uncomfortable...they push us to a new level. I'll probably lose my ass in this one, like every other TD. But..I get better, and have a good time doing it. In the year I've been participating in these TD's (Oktoberfest 2010 being my first), my style, tastes, and skills in general have been amplified to new levels...all for a g0dd@mn online cooking contest for nothing more than bragging rights inside an internet microcosm that means nothing to 99% of the rest of the world. Maybe I'm being nostalgic with this TD anneversary...maybe the cheap vodka is kicking in...could be a combo...but damn...we do this because we love chiles, and without the expectation that the Food Network is going to zero in on a thread, and offer us our own show.

Regardless...cheers to all! :beer:

I do not have the tools to make sausage, or anything stuffed with any sort of casings for that matter

there is no butcher within 30 minutes of where I live, and I doubt I want to buy casings at Wegmans, IF they even sell them

As far as making my own bread, I have no problem doing that whatsoever, as I am sure most people do not

I had to spend 110 dollars on a dutch oven for that challenge, which I have only literally used once since then, and I am sure I am not going to be making sausage on a regular basis to compensate for buying the stuff to make it

If I may say so...I believe "dutch oven" is more a style, rather than a set of tools. I would guess cooking potatoes and peppers in a foil bag/package over coals would fit into the style, and probably taste about the same.

Okay well...

What about this? Kind of like the Cajun one, where you choose from the list. Gives more options than sausage but it's all foods found at Oktoberfest, and you can mix and match what you want, and add your own spin.

Example:

Meat (choose at least one to create from scratch)
----
Bratwurst
Cordon Bleu
Curry Wurst
Frankfurters (Frankfurter Würstschen)
Kassler Rippchen
Knockwurst (Knackwurst)
Leberkäse
Mettwurst
Nürnberger Rostbratwurst
Pork Knuckle (Eisbein / Schweinshaxe)
Pork Roast (Schweinebraten)
Weisswurst
Wiener Schnitzel

Side Dish (choose at least one to create from scratch)
----
Käse-Spätzle
Potato Dumplings (Knödel) (May also be Semmel, Mehl, Leber, etc.)
Potato Pancakes (Kartoffelpuffer)
Potato Salad (Kartoffelsalat)
Red Cabbage (Rotkraut)
Sauerkraut
Schupfnudeln

These are classic German foods you will find at Oktoberfest in Germany, and around the World. Your meal must include at least one from each section, and you must make it THP style (crazy spicy!). You may keep it traditional or add your own twist.

Cool, yeah I have potato on there, so will add any variety. Glad it gets your German stamp of approval. This could be interesting.

Will see what the others think.

Boss...I say stick with the original plan. The new idea is "be creative within these confines"...versus...here's 2 basic things you have to do, now let loose.

Just my thoughts...

The original plan was poo poo'ed to death. Not my fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back