beer Official Brewdown Thread!!!

Finally got to bottle! Here's how it went and this was something new for me too.

This thing cold crashed for a good 7 days and it's still hazy. Next time I'll have to add some finning. Still not a bad thing for a Farmhouse Ale I guess.

00BDC9D5-D992-4AFD-90CA-AC076FF3EF42_zpsgp8tbe3b.jpg

Bottles filled.

95F7DECE-E902-4749-90A9-B13C793359AA_zpszuz5koat.jpg

Ok, set the cork to the line I Sharpied onto the shaft.

4A63BFFA-BCE1-43DD-9F31-2BD18979D6A3_zpsua8amlvh.jpg

Ues a twisting motion to remove the corker. If you use a rocking motion you'll break off the cork.

D289C0CD-7978-493F-A4B4-5A8629A73B4A_zpsdynilwo8.jpg

Perfect one.

10DDF6DA-9873-45EA-85ED-88DDB262F506_zpsihe34j8e.jpg

Cage in place.

F41304D9-0E7D-4855-87CC-CAD6FDCCDDEF_zpsucecciqu.jpg

Twisty twist twist.

1D1D112B-1CCD-477E-BFCB-E9795FC3933F_zpsslkthpun.jpg

Ready for dressing

07ABBC44-D087-4A0C-B6D8-A73035382781_zpszqmnky9r.jpg

And dressed to thrill

E324772E-9426-44F2-9722-A22BF3F3685C_zpsu5vxpbzw.jpg

Bet I can guess which bottle Wheebz wants, lol

tctenten said:
Nice bottling job!

Wheebz is a label necessary?
Man, it took me a bit, read several pages where they all talked about needing a special model corker/capper to do Belgian bottles and then several YouTube videos. Finally found one of a guy who used one just like mine. A few twisted off corks later I had it down. You just have to be careful about how far down you set them. Even a small fraction too deep and your cage is setting low, happened on a couple. I'm betting that as CO2 builds it will push the corks out till they're set properly. Have to say, I do like the look of the Belgian bottles. Going to do my Christmas Beer this summer and already thinking I'll put them in Belgian bottles.

1010, labeling is just part of the fun for me. I love finding, umm interesting graphics to use. Most of the time they're fitting of the theme I'm trying to do with something like with this beer and a lot of my hot sauces. I do a lot of research when I get an idea for a sauce or brew to the style or region it modeled after. Ask Wheebz about when I made some sauces for Darwins or about how much he's learned about Norway recently

Sometimes they're just fun like a Coopers Australian AlrnI made that tasted fine but had a really funky smell to it. Just pre-hopped canned goo, called it Ole Bass Ale. Put a picture of a guy fighting a big fish and the tag line at the bottom said "Ole Bass fisherman never die, they just smell that way!"

So, probably no requirement for labels but zi would put you name and the name you give the brew on it somehow. Maybe down the road we can look at labels as a side thing if anyone else is interested. Till then I'm aI gonna keep doing my thing

I usually do labels...nothing as cool as yours...but I kegged this batch and I am just being lazy about making labels for one or two beers. I do agree that labsls are part of the fun with brewing and sauce making. Your labels are better than most professional ones.

I don't label ... It'll be amazing just to bottle ... LOL.
I figured out the 'why' of my bottling reluctance, the other day ...

It's like the breadmaking, the BBQ, and really everything I get into ...

Not bottling is my way of keeping from the slippery slope of competing ... because I don't really want to deep-dive (like I do, for anything) on styles and researching and/or brewing for competitions.

I'm sure in my mind, I'm afraid if I can bottle, that I'll end up competing ... and I don't want to compete right now.

I'm enjoying brewing noncompetitively.

It's hardly competitive lol. Most of us haven't even brewed a year yet, and you just barely. I look at it as more of an experience, and great feedback. I don't expect Wheebz to think my beer is great. I was pretty happy with his review of my first few beers.

I'll certainly try to brew every batch my best, but it's like anything else. The more hours in, the better results out.

And here's an example.

3 Otters Tripel
I'm surprised it's as carbed as it is in just a week. I put enough sugar to get close to 3vols. I think the basement is a tad too cold. I might throw them in the ferm chamber at 68 to help get it as carbed as possible before shipping it off next weekend.

I like what I taste so far. Great smell, and spicy yeast flavors. I'll be anxious to see how it scores.

Ozzy2001 said:
It's hardly competitive lol. Most of us haven't even brewed a year yet, and you just barely. I look at it as more of an experience, and great feedback. I don't expect Wheebz to think my beer is great. I was pretty happy with his review of my first few beers.

I'll certainly try to brew every batch my best, but it's like anything else. The more hours in, the better results out.

No, not competitive here ... beer competitions ... for medalz ;)

Ozzy2001 said:

And here's an example.

3 Otters Tripel
I'm surprised it's as carbed as it is in just a week. I put enough sugar to get close to 3vols. I think the basement is a tad too cold. I might throw them in the ferm chamber at 68 to help get it as carbed as possible before shipping it off next weekend.

I like what I taste so far. Great smell, and spicy yeast flavors. I'll be anxious to see how it scores.

tctenten said:
Looks good. I am carbing to 3 vols as well. I will sample later.

I agree with everything you have said. I have no expectations, but value Wheebz technical analysis.

What do you guys mean when you are 'carbing to 3 vols'?

Back