beer Official Brewdown Thread!!!

Ozzy2001 said:
I like the scoring. Gives me a better idea of what needs improvement.

The number give you that in some way beyond a written description of it? ...
tctenten said:
Hunting this weekend, TD next weekend 11/6, Hunting? 11/13, Hunting 11/20, Hunting 11/27, Vacation 12/3. Poof there goes brewing season.

Beer is much more of a Sure Thing ...

I like a Sure Thing ...

Okay ... as you wish ...

I don't like constraints or rules very much ... ever ... in anything ...

It stokes my oppositional defiant tendencies ...

I'm A-OK with whatever ...

I only care about the review of my beer, and getting to see other people's recipe+beer+review to get to learn from theirs ...

The competitive aspect is kind of a distraction for me, but it won't matter if there's no style constraint ...

I guess what I'm saying, in TL;DR is wheebz can score yours, but he doesn't have to score and type out mine ... I'd rather the time and focus spent on my beer be as optimized for improving it as is possible, and for me, that means just writing in plain English (which I struggle enough with, as it is! :rofl:)

In not even worried about "competing". I just like trying styles I wouldn't normally try and seeing if I can nail them. I figure if I can manipulate my brew to score well within parameters I should be able to manipulate my brew to what "I like".
I like the challenge of it more than anything.

Here's what I want.... now make it.

Ozzy2001 said:
I just like trying styles I wouldn't normally try and seeing if I can nail them.

I don't need a contest to urge me to do that, is all ...

That's an innate goal of mine, I guess ...
Ozzy2001 said:
Here's what I want.... now make it.

You know what that makes me want to do?

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
Granted, I'm broken AF ...

The thing I like best about the brew TD is that it is expanding my brewing horizons.  I am still relatively new and have a few styles that I brew fairly often because that is what I like to drink.  This gets me to think and brew outside of my 'box' which I like the challenge of, just like ozzy.  I also like wheebz feedback as it is good insight to make me a better brewer.  As with the BD styles, my original perception of this TD was that Wheebz picks the style or parameters and we go with it and that's that. If I misunderstood that, someone please enlighten me.

jbeer32 said:
The thing I like best about the brew TD is that it is expanding my brewing horizons.  I am still relatively new and have a few styles that I brew fairly often because that is what I like to drink.  This gets me to think and brew outside of my 'box' which I like the challenge of, just like ozzy.  I also like wheebz feedback as it is good insight to make me a better brewer.  As with the BD styles, my original perception of this TD was that Wheebz picks the style or parameters and we go with it and that's that. If I misunderstood that, someone please enlighten me.
I think that is pretty accurate...although Wheebz is open to style suggestions. I think he wants those to participate to enjoy it as well. I cannot participate in november, but maybe he does a "wild card" and he scores them according to the style that you guys specify.

Alright, cool ...

I'm not fighting this same battle a second time, or even looking up where we'd left off on this before the break ...

Keep 'em the same as they were and I'll enter when the style coincides with my interests and I feel like I have the time to do all of the steps ...

tctenten said:
I think that is pretty accurate...although Wheebz is open to style suggestions. I think he wants those to participate to enjoy it as well. I cannot participate in november, but maybe he does a "wild card" and he scores them according to the style that you guys specify.

Yup, and - I'm already over it (again) ... I have commitments to myself that carry more weight in my realm.

Cheers! :cheers:

Well how about we do this

I name a style I want brewer for that month, if you choose to participate in that style, awesome, and i will get you out of your comfort zone

however, if that doesnt agree with you, brew whatever style that you want, and send me the style along side your beer, and i will judge it as such

for this one I want to do NE IPAs, because thats all the rave and chat anymore is these style of beers

Grant for you to say you would rather brew an IPA or a  double IPA but not an NE IPA, i dont get that considering they are very similar, but to each their own, and no one better add flour to their beer....

and just because you use a certain type of malt indicitive to a brew does not mean it will fall into the style guidelines

you boil too vigorously for an extended amount of time, you will caramelize your malt and create a darker color than the style dictates, or even if you choose a certain type of malt that is "per style", dependant on moisture content and degree lovibond, the maltster might have fucked up and not provided you with the proper malt you thought you were getting, which happens more times than I can count on a professional level, so I am assuming it probably happens on a small scale as well

Yeah.

It's all good.

I'm going to do my thing and when I have a beer I'd like reviewed I'm just going to get it into a brewer's hands ...

I need to spot these kinds of situations and do *EVERYONE* a favor and sit 'em out when they don't gel with what I want to be doing ...

Clearly different people have different stuff they aim to get out of entering them ...

I don't want to ruin anyone's good time, or be annoyed as fuck by having to do what other people want (when I don't want to) ...

Carry on folks!

Cheers! :cheers:

wheebz said:

Grant for you to say you would rather brew an IPA or a  double IPA but not an NE IPA, i dont get that considering they are very similar, but to each their own, and no one better add flour to their beer....

Ozzy said it, I just agreed.

Talk to the twice-winner, LOL ...

Oh snap, I just noticed this thread. I'm brewing one of these tonight. I can only bottle condition this one, so it won't be ready to drink and ship til the end of the month at least. It's all good, if not. I'll just drink the other two beers I would have shipped if it's too late, as planned.

Whatever you feel like sharing. I don't remember there being any real requirement. You can wait to do a final post once it's closer to shipping time, where you will need to post the recipe and any other related info so everyone could brew it.

remember

the hops used for NE IPAs are super fruity and juicy

mosaic, citra, galaxy, azacca, simcoe, amarillo, el dorado, rakau, that kind of jazz

Back