On Cutlery ...

Scoville DeVille said:
Love them PK2! The 3 on the left would get used daily, but the 2 on the far right look like skinners? What do you use them for?

I wish there was a Paring and a Fillet...

I can honestly say that I've never used them. Truth be told.....I rarely use any of them....because they're so pretty! (and that they're rust-magnets!) I purposely "displayed" them on the wall opposite the kitchen work-space so I wouldn't be as tempted to use them. I take them down twice a month and oil the block and the blades.....and rub Howard's Feed-N-Wax into the handles. They're SUPER sharp, though....and HEAVY!

....Yeah....I know I'm crazy.....but it works for me!

Grass Snake said:
Nice! Love the wood. What brand are those?

I got these, of all places, from eBay. They were imported from Pakistan....so I'm not sure of the (Tali)brand.... :rofl:

Here is a link to a similar set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Hand-Made-Damascus-Blade-Gorgeous-German-Style-Kitchen-Chef-Knife-Set-/262562762729?hash=item3d21f5cfe9:g:e6sAAOSwX~dWtST6

I will tell you this. The handles and blades needed some attention when they arrived. I completely re-stained and conditioned the handles.....and spent two hours honing the blade edges. However, the end result is a beautiful set of knives that are unique and, very obviously, hand assembled.

Not crazy at all. One of my most favorite knives is one I never use. I bought it on an Indian reservation in BC Canada. It's a cleaver that you could use to clear land but it's so dang awesome, I just like to look at it.

paulky_2000 said:

I will tell you this. The handles and blades needed some attention when they arrived. I completely re-stained and conditioned the handles.....and spent two hours honing the blade edges. However, the end result is a beautiful set of knives that are unique and, very obviously, hand assembled.

You did a nice job with those. Looking at some cheaper knives from Thailand that might do the job.

Grass Snake said:

I feel like I'm always being contrary but I'm just pointing things out for you to think about. I wouldn't expect much for a $25 knife but if that's your budget, go for it. Also, it does not look very ergonomic like for chopping, say, green onions, (the motion where the tip of the knife is always in contact with the cutting board). It would be great for cubing up watermelon or cubing up a boneless roast. The handle looks too short for the size of the knife.

Here's an example of more comfortable handles:

03-chef-knife-group-630.jpg

Scoville DeVille said:
Not crazy at all. One of my most favorite knives is one I never use. I bought it on an Indian reservation in BC Canada. It's a cleaver that you could use to clear land but it's so dang awesome, I just like to look at it.

Heck, I don't have a cool story about my cleaver and I rarely use it but I never regretted the purchase since I to like to look at it as well. Cleaver's are just cool.
I need a new knife block since mine is getting old but I won't buy one unless it has a cleaver slot. :rofl:  oddly, that is getting rarer these days.

SavinaRed said:
I love my cleaver and it gets allot of use in my kitchen . It's a cheap and heavy ss I bought in the 70's at China Town in San Francisco

I used to have a nice SS one from Chinatown with fish engraved in the SS handle, one piece cleaver.

I want one of this guy's knives, but you have to go into a lottery just for a chance to buy one, and then they are big bucks.  Sexy as hell though.   Can you spot the instant that Grant will tumesce?   LMAO

https://youtu.be/4x0f2b_0kn0

grantmichaels said:
looks like a nice nikiri at a good price ...

the Misen knife should be coming soon ...

Yes and the nakiri gets the better reviews out of the two. I might pull the trigger on it lol. I have this one below that I really like and is razor sharp.

https://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-Finished-Shiro-ko-Kasumi-Nakiri/dp/B000UANWGE/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1476905474&sr=1-1&keywords=tojiro+f-699

Nakiri article below

http://pickmyknife.com/best-nakiri-knives/

Back