On Cutlery ...

looking at the knife links yall put up,  i am  out knifed.

most all my kitchen knifes  are old hickorys.

they sharpen ez and quick.

after use, i just wipem down with veg oil and they good to go.

i figure a 5 dollar steak wont taste no better using a US old hickory or a komakzzee special

SavinaRed said:
I'm finally pulling the trigger on this Nakiri. I'll let you know how nice it works compared to my other 2 nakiri knives. This should be the knife I add to my kitchen collection   :)

https://www.amazon.com/DALSTRONG-Nakiri-Vegetable-Knife-Hammered/dp/B01ISS02YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479481597&sr=8-1&keywords=nakiri+dalstrong

PS I hope this purchase inspires Chris to step up to the plate rofl.............................
I am going to put some on my Xmas list ;)
grantmichaels said:
dcce5c65385d4b27a9d0b6c0ed0a5ad9.jpg

7f36107002e6f9a1dae40ab318b32a0d.jpg
One of my friends won't even pick up his wusthof's now, he went global

http://global-knife.com/

SavinaRed said:
I'm finally pulling the trigger on this Nakiri. I'll let you know how nice it works compared to my other 2 nakiri knives. This should be the knife I add to my kitchen collection   :)

https://www.amazon.com/DALSTRONG-Nakiri-Vegetable-Knife-Hammered/dp/B01ISS02YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479481597&sr=8-1&keywords=nakiri+dalstrong

PS I hope this purchase inspires Chris to step up to the plate rofl.............................

I like that.
A Nakiri is a up and coming selection as I think it would be a great fit for my sushi work.

Here is the current Asian Knife collection as it stands. Chinese cleaver, Dalstrong Shogun Nakiri, Tojiro Blue Steel Nakiri, Kai Nakiri, Santoku Granton Edge, Shun Premier Santoku, Tojiro DP Gyuto, Shun Premier paring, Tojiro paring and Mac paring knife. 

Attachments

• Asain Knives.jpg
    Asain Knives.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 87
hardcore said:
that sharpen steel looks awful course cap.  

if you careful and not abuse your blades a strop works well

I have some concerns as well. I am going to contact a rep with Kai / Shun and inquire a bit further. It came with my 8" chefs knife along with the knife block all for the same list price as the 8" chefs alone. I also got the 9.5"slicer / fork combo for the price of the 9.5" slicer alone.
I am actually interested in getting a few large whetstones to keep my blades in top shape.

I have used all of them at every opportunity and am beyond impressed. I have rusty, but very good knife skills and maybe/probably all in my head, feel these knives make me even better than before.

The slicer was like a light saber on the turkey at Thanksgiving. I was careful to avoid any bone contact as these are the first high carbon blades I have ever owned/used. 
I get to use the chefs knife quite a bit more and the feel and balance in the hand along with the ease of cut makes it an absolute pleasure to use.

I could not wait to try my pro yanagiba in solid VG-10 so I picked up some boneless short ribs for some tacos. Some trimming required. The work ended too fast.
It my not be my first choice for a sushi/sashimi knife, but I cannot afford $1500.00 for a really NICE knife. It is very good compared to what I have been using though. And until chef Jiro Ono passes his knives to me upon his retirement, Yeah I know, pipe dream.
I'll settle for dinner at Sukiyabashi Jiro then. Yeah, I know, another pipe dream. Gotta have dreams though.

I have been strongly requested to make sushi for Christmas so it will get its first real workout then, unless I get a uncontrollable urge for some sashimi before then. Pretty good possibilities of that.

My biggest problem right now is I cant wait to acquire the next 3 selections or 4 or 5.

A set of stones and a strop are the way to go and with YouTube it's easy to learn how to sharpen and put a better edge on your knive then the factory does.

Back