Opinions on individuals selling seeds

I am curious as to what the opinions of you guys here are on an individual selling seeds. I know there are a few members here that are very outspoken and totally against an individual selling seeds. (By individual I mean somebody who is just a hobby grower and not a legal business)

I personally have sold seeds on this forum, I have also given away literally thousands of seeds as well. I am not looking to make a ton of money off of the seeds I sell but just maybe make enough to cover the cost of materials needed to keep and grow the peppers we all love.

I do not mind any individual selling seeds at all as long as the price is reasonably competitive and is not causing the legal businesses to lower their prices to an extent where they can't turn a profit and as long as the seller does not make false claims such as the seeds were isolated when they were not. The reasons I don't mind seeing individuals selling seeds are: If a legal business does not have seeds available for a variety I am wanting to grow. I can't find anybody willing to trade or do a SASBE for a variety I'm looking to grow. I don't want to wait around for a giveaway or contest of sorts that I may or may not win, or I don't want to wait until the summer when all the fresh pod auctions and sales start to flow and buy the pods and then dry the seeds myself because then it would be way too late to start the seeds this season (at least for my growing climate anyways)

For the members that are totally against individuals selling seeds, I am just curious as to why you feel that way. If you do not want somebody selling seeds, what's the difference in selling fresh pods? Both seeds and pods cost money and time to produce. If you want somebody to just give away seeds or pods, then why not just give away the whole plant? A bubble envelope with around 10 baggies of seeds sent 1st class mail cost me $2.07 to mail in the US. A 7 X 7 X 4 box with (1) 3.5" square pot and plant / seedling in it sent priority in the US cost me $7.68, so a difference of just at $5. I personally just do not see the difference in selling seeds and selling pods or starter plants. All of them take considerable time and money to produce, so why does it matter if I try to recoup some of that cost? I just see posts all the time on seed auctions and sells started by a non vendor saying "seeds should be given away" and I have absolutely never seen anybody saying that on a fresh pod or starter plant sell / auction.

I did not post this trying to get a rise out of anybody or to start a war / bashing session of any kind. I really hope this stays civil. I am just honestly curious as to what others here think about it. Anyways, thank you for reading.

Vincent Kelley

Chris,

I totally see your point of view. When I bought those powders from you (by the way they are great), I was one of those that asked about the TS Evergreen. When you explained why you couldn't I understood.

I know you live by your word and I try my best too. I can only speak for me only but I'm in this for a hobby and some stress relief. And actually outside of AIPES & the Carolina Reaper, I have no idea what is propriety and what isn't.

I know I'm not evolved enough to even try cross pollinating.

I figure if I bought some pods, I would 1st save seeds for stock for next year. The next grow if I had more than I needed I might sell them in SFRB's unless I knew they are propriety then it would be in powders. And if I shared the seeds, I would strongly encourage whoever has them to respect the wishes of whoever I got them from---but in the end they will do whatever they want.

Anyway this is my take, right or wrong. Hopefully I did not hi-jack this thread.

Hmmmm.
Done both and will continue to do so.

I tend to hold vendors to a higher standard, and pay a higher price for that expectation.

But that "OMG, look at this pod---anyone want to buy some seeds?" and others like it---as well as hobby crosses, unstable but really cool crosses, and those stable, but not on the market or rare and unknown from grandma's little patch in the woods------damn straight, I may buy some.

If you want a model of what sharing and selling between hobbyists can accomplish, just take a gander at what California's "cash crop" community has achieved. :shh:

Just my dos pesos.

Back