• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Orekoc's 2019 grow

Can't think of a clever topic title, so, it is what it is.

I started late this year.  Planted on two different dates, 3/24/2019 and 3/29/2019, didn't get them on to the heating mats till 3/31/2019. 

Here is the list, we will see how many come up. The first 36 were planted first, the last 36 were planted, well, last.

The bolded ones have at least one sprouted.

The Bold Badger ones are from his big bag o' mixed seed.  I took out 6 placentas that either looked different from each other, or were a different color.  Then planted 6 seeds from each.  Thus, the numbers 1 - 6.

Sawyer is starting me some seeds (ones I bought from ButchT), and I plan to buy a few plants from him as well.

1. Saraga Scotch Bonnet - Trident
2. Cobra - Pepper Guru
3. Alan Boatman TF - White Hot Peppers
4. Beth Boyd SB - White Hot Peppers
5. Jamaican Hot Chocolate - White Hot Peppers
6. Bahamian Beast Peach F3 WHP - White Hot Peppers
7. PDN x Reaper - White Hot Peppers
8. Reaper x Lemon Drop - White Hot Peppers
9. Primo x Lemon Drop - White Hot Peppers
10. Salem - Trident
11. Obeah - Trident
12. Papa Dreddie - Malarky
13. Freeport Orange SB - White Hot Peppers
14. Hababon Peach Cross - White Hot Peppers
15. Orange Ribbon - White Hot Peppers
16. Aji Cachucha Cuba - ??Cachucha??
17. Scotch Bonnet WHP - White Hot Peppers
18. Bahamian Beast Mustard Stingers F2 WHP - White Hot Peppers
19. Sri Lanka Chili Red - Pepper Guru
20. Aleppo - Lawrence Family Farms
21. Bike Billy Jalapeno - Lawrence Family Farms

22. Scotch Brains ISO - White Hot Peppers
23. Leviathan Gnarly Scorpion WHP - White Hot Peppers
24. Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques F6 White
25. Bishop's Crown - Bhuter
26. Big Sun Habanero - Lawrence Family Farms
27. Pablano - Lawrence Family Farms

28. Tekne Dolmasi - Lawrence Family Farms
29. Spezzanno Thai Chile - Mike & Holly Brown
30. Chapeu Du Frade - Lawrence Family Farms
31. Purple Bhut Pumpkin - White Hot Peppers
32. Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques F6 Violet
33. Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques F4 White
34. Morupi Amarela - Bhuter
35. Penis Pepper - Lawrence Family Farms
36. Pimiento Cristal - Lawrence Family Farms

37. Xian Horn - World of Zing
38. Facing Heaven 7 Star Chillies - World of Zing
39. Bold Badger 1
40. Bold Badger 2
41. Bold Badger 3

42. Bold Badger 4
43. Bold Badger 5
44. Bold Badger 6
45. Indian Jwala - Bhuter 2014
46. SB7J - Bhuter
47. Pimenta Leopard - Bhuter
48. Orange Bhut - Bhuter 2014
49. Bahamian Goat - Jamison Pitsch
50. Bonda Mu Jacques- -Tommy Grissom
51. Purple Flower Bubblegum Orange - Bhuter
52. Peach Scotch Bonnet - Bhuter
53. Red Dog - smileyguy697 2014
54. Coyote Zen White - ?Bhuter?
55. Peach Bhut WM - Bhuter
56. MOA - HillBillyJeff
57. SBS Purple Ornamental - smokemaster
58. Scotch Brain F6 - FreePortBum
59. Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw - Ford's Fiery Foods
60. Green Hornet - romy6
61. BOC - Bhuter
62. Cappuccino SB - Bhuter
63. Fatalii Jigsaw - HillBillyJeff
64. Monster Apocalisse - Bhuter

65. Jalapeno Purple - White Hot Peppers
66. 7 Pot Pink - White Hot Peppers
67. PDN x 7 Pot Caramel F2 - ?Bhuter?

68. Vencentian Seasoning - Aron Taylor
69. Peach Wasp - White Hot Peppers
70. Bonda Ma Jacques   - ???
71. Bahamian Goat - Buckeye
72. Blue Christmas - Hippy Seed

Thanks for looking.  I'll get a picture or two up tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the info. 

Bhuter, I'll change it to a yellow Bhut, and if it is bumpy like the pictures, I'll call it Bhuter's Yellow Bhut, just to differentiate it from other yellow bhuts.

On the PDN x 7 pot caramel cross, I have 10 seedlings, 9 purple, 1 green.  This is going to be fun.  I'll try to bag each plant, so they are isolated from each other and other peppers.

Bhuter, if you still have some F1 seed, I'd be happy to grow a few plants out next year to get a lot of F2 seed.

Oh, another hook today, so finally I have another variety to grow this summer.

16. Aji Cachucha Cuba - ??Cachucha??

Driving to a nursery supply place tomorrow to get some labels and check on price of pots and potting mix. Potting up some seedlings tomorrow, once I have labels and growing mix.

Quite the growlist you got going on! Very well rounded I like it! Good to see I'm not the only one that started late  :cool:  How many plants are you planning on having come plant out? I'm also growing the Leviathan Gnarly Scorpion.. We'll have to keep each other posted on how they turn out! Good luck with your season everything's looking great!
Brandon

Hey Big,

Not sure yet.  Some of the early generation crosses I want to grow all that sprouted, just to see what they produce.  Others, I'd like to grow a couple of, isolated, to save isolated seed.  I guess I'll find out when I plant them out.

Thanks for asking.  Best of luck on your grow out.  Looks like plenty of room to grow.
BigCedar said:
Quite the growlist you got going on! Very well rounded I like it! Good to see I'm not the only one that started late  :cool:  How many plants are you planning on having come plant out? I'm also growing the Leviathan Gnarly Scorpion.. We'll have to keep each other posted on how they turn out! Good luck with your season everything's looking great!
Brandon

Quick update, the PDN x Reaper has one purple plant and five green ones, out of six seeds planted..  Which, while unlikely, is completely possible.

The weird thing is the Reaper x Lemon Drop seeds, 4/6 purple, 2/6 green.  I would have thought all of them would be green.  Either some mixed up seed, or a cross.  I'll grow them all out to see.

Finally, 1/6 purple, 4/6 green, 1 didn't sprout, in my Scotch Bonnett WHP seeds.

This is going to be a fun year.

This is all from purchased seed, but not isolated.  These kind of surprises I don't mind.  I'm hoping for crosses and not mixed up seeds.  More fun for your money that way!

No one wants to take a shot at my question on pots?

Not too much container growing experience here. I'd steer ya in the wrong direction. Lol. I did find some pics for you, my friend.

PDN x 7 Pot Caramel F1 2018

n1jjXpV.jpg

Orekoc said:
I need advice on pots.  I have a choice of squat pots or regular height pots.  Which would be better for peppers?
I would go with the taller pots to let the roots grow a bit
deeper. My squares are 6 1/2 inches tall rather than 5 1/2
inches. I just like to give them more depth, personally.

Nice pics Adam! (FYI - I delete them from the quoted text to keep the thread shorter.)

I've been doing some reading on pepper pod color genetics, and the gene for keep a pod purple, like in the PDN is recesive, which is why it doesn't show up till the F2 generation.  Also why Paul keep getting purple pods in the white line he is working on.
Bhuter said:
Not too much container growing experience here. I'd steer ya in the wrong direction. Lol. I did find some pics for you, my friend.

PDN x 7 Pot Caramel F1 2018 ...

Just to express a different perspective and opinion on the pot question, if the two choices have equal volume, the shorter, wider ones will provide a little more stability against blowing over in the wind. If they both have the same diameter, then I'm with Paul, mo' dirt, mo' better.

I generally save my shorter, wider pots for ginger and turmeric. Planted deeper than one might expect, new ginger rhizomes will form above the old, growing up and out of the container given time and vigor. Planted shallow, turmeric will form new rhizomes below the old.

Orekoc said:
Nice pics Adam! (FYI - I delete them from the quoted text to keep the thread shorter.)

I've been doing some reading on pepper pod color genetics, and the gene for keep a pod purple, like in the PDN is recesive, which is why it doesn't show up till the F2 generation.  Also why Paul keep getting purple pods in the white line he is working on.

The F2 pods were yellow after red F1 pods. The
white pods showed up in the F3 grow, and the
violet pods from that line in the F5 season. I have
always selected for white after F3, but the violet
shading is becoming 'aggressive' ;) . It's okay,
the violet pods are truly beautiful. I'm going to
post some pics of some pods in the PdN cross
thread later today.

BTW, I like 'Oregon King of Chilis', too  :rofl:

Hey Paul.  Thanks for the info.  I may have to make this cross myself and follow each generation with trying to work out a punnett square for the fruit color, just to try and figure out what is going on with the genes.

Oh, I was in OBC and mentioned the greenhouse panels replacement issue, they said they do that all the time.  So just talk to them when you have the chance.  Found out what I want to do with a greenhouse just isn't possible here in Salem do to the Salem Building codes.  Would cost around 5 grand just to get the permits, etc.  So I'm rethinking what I want, and how to do it.
PaulG said:
The F2 pods were yellow after red F1 pods. The
white pods showed up in the F3 grow, and the
violet pods from that line in the F5 season. I have
always selected for white after F3, but the violet
shading is becoming 'aggressive' ;) . It's okay,
the violet pods are truly beautiful. I'm going to
post some pics of some pods in the PdN cross
thread later today.

BTW, I like 'Oregon King of Chilis', too  :rofl:

Orekoc said:
Hey Paul.  Thanks for the info.  I may have to make this cross myself and follow each generation with trying to work out a punnett square for the fruit color, just to try and figure out what is going on with the genes.
It's very possible there is another gene at work.
My plants were not isolated until the F6 generation.

Oh, I was in OBC and mentioned the greenhouse panels replacement issue, they said they do that all the time.  So just talk to them when you have the chance.  Found out what I want to do with a greenhouse just isn't possible here in Salem do to the Salem Building codes.  Would cost around 5 grand just to get the permits, etc.  So I'm rethinking what I want, and how to do it.
Thanks for that, my friend. Bummer about the building codes.
I'd like a real greenhouse with water and electrical, too, but
probably face same issues here.

Finally got the seedling pots I needed, the solo cups just don't work well for me, too unstable.  Anyway, I've been potting seedlings up, which should have been done, like three weeks ago.  Fourteen varieties left to pot up.  Am in the 3 pack of 100 labels. 

OBC has 5 gallon squat pots on sale for $2.92 each, so bought 40 of them and am going to buy more tomorrow.  Potting mix on sale for $6/2 cubic yard bag, while supplies last.  So will get more of those.

So, after 42 days, I got a hook on the Obeah from Trident!  Woo-hoo!  This is one I will be over wintering for sure. So for tray one, 35/36 varieties planted have at least one hook (plant) most of them had at least a 50% germination rate. 

I hope to have some pictures up tomorrow evening.

edited to correct spelling.

Orekoc said:
OBC has 5 gallon squat pots on sale for $2.92 each, so bought 40 of them and am going to buy more tomorrow.  Potting mix on sale for $6/2 cubic yard bag, while supplies last.  So will get more of those.
Score!

PaulG said:
Bummer about the building codes.
Seconded

Orekoc said:
...I was in OBC...
I see "OBC" and think "Ozark Brewing Company", one of the first microbreweries, if not the very first, here in NWA back in the early- to mid-80s. I was still pretty thin until I tried their IPA.

I had to do some searching here on THP, but eventually found this in Trident Chilli's 2016 glog:

"Obeah F2 - MoA x Reaper - Steve Queen"

Sounds like an interesting cross. (Searching web-wide returned only links to voodoo.)

Back