• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Oven drying temperature

Our commercial fan oven goes down to, and is currently set at 125, (or 50 degrees where I am). But it has taken 24 hours so far and 3 kg of supers still aren't 100% dry.

did you leave the door open a little? I usually stick a wooden spoon in between the door so the moisture can escape. Supers can take a long time as the oil dries slowly

air flow speeds along the drying. Drying with just the heat elelment will take longer. Definitely cut the pods open to speed the process. In order to accellerate the amount of chiles processed at one time, you can take some tin foil disposable roasting pans, poke a whole bunch of holes in it ( pun intended ;) ). Using the roasting pan, you can have a whole bunch more chiles drying than when just using a flat cookie sheet.

lower temps will preserve the color better. Higher temps will darken the pods.

++ on the airflow. If you can, as suggested by Lando, open the door a tad, but also set a fan blowing in it's direction.

Why not use a smoker outdoors, easy to run at much lower temp IMO.

yes, for the lower temp, but you may get some residual flavor from the smoker even if you're not using wood chips. A lot of folks do smoke/dry chiles intentionally, but sometimes the smoke is not desired.

I usually use the house electic oven. 150 F for like an hour or two , turn off heat and leave them sitting there. Later during the day I turn them over and do the same process. The peppers may change color a bit (darker), but it's a ''quick'' and easy way to do it. I do get them dry in a day or two. Good luck!

150F is about as low as conventional ovens can go. That temp will usually darken the pods or fruit being dried. And it totally works for getting the job done! Dehyrators usually go to 90-150F temp range if they have a thermostat heat control. They will also get the job done, the only difference being the color of the dried pods or fruit. The pods/friut dried at the higher temps will likely be darker in color. No difference in taste or heat, just color.

Don't be like me, i oven dried one time when my wife was out of town and when she got back, she was pissed. Lets say she does not like the smell of dried superhots...was talking about spending the night at a hotel lol. Now i have a dehyrator(gift from wife) woop woop! :)

I use my oven but I don't have large amounts of pods either. I usially order a sfrb, test the pods I have not tried, and sauce or dry the rest. I turn the knob on the oven just enough to turn it on. I leave the door closed and use a pyrex dish. From now on I will be using a disposable pan with holes in it :D

Has anyone tried using one of the smaller Roaster Ovens for drying peppers ?
Have a GE Roaster Oven from Wally Mart that shows that the temperature can be set lower than 150°.
Just turned ours on and the light shows up way below the 150° setting.
Does warm up a bit below 150°.
Could also prop the lid up a bit as well.
Atleast maybe by using one of these you can keep the smell away from in the kitchen.

Back