Ozzy's All Grain on deck

Ozzy2001 said:
I finally got around to converting my keg to a keggle. I just have to get the thermometer an put a dip tube in. Also need to clean it up so its pretty. I took some pics but photobucket is down for maintenance.
Hopefully it comes back up. I want to see what you did.

I mailed your growdown seeds this morning. Let me know if they get there and are in good condition.

Photobucket just now starting to work as I'm going bed.

Cut the hole so my turkey pot lid will cover.

You just drill the hole then pull the fitting through with this tool.

It's flared and is pretty tight after you pull it through.

You solder the inside. The flux was very pungent.

Inside fittings cleaned off. They look good. I'll still have to leak test it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-1064-Stainless-16-Gallon/dp/B007V493PG/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MKQZVJR8TYXGAFWQVE4
If I were to purchase this, I don't think there is anything that would keep me from doing 10gal batches.  Not sure that I would really need 10gals, but I could.  Not sure if a 10gal mash tun would be able to do highgravity though for a 10gal batch.

although, I could also just get another keg for $50 and put the fittings in it like I just did for a lot cheaper.

Ozzy2001 said:
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-1064-Stainless-16-Gallon/dp/B007V493PG/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MKQZVJR8TYXGAFWQVE4
If I were to purchase this, I don't think there is anything that would keep me from doing 10gal batches.  Not sure that I would really need 10gals, but I could.  Not sure if a 10gal mash tun would be able to do highgravity though for a 10gal batch.

although, I could also just get another keg for $50 and put the fittings in it like I just did for a lot cheaper.

i think the keggles are cool ...

mine's 82 quarts, so i think that's like 20.5 gallons ... and the cooler for the mash tun is 100 quarts, or 25 gallons ...

i figured i could do 10-15 gallons of beer depending on the size of the beer ... and it was determined based on knowing that my ferm chamber can hold 3x 5 gallon and 1x 2.5 gallon keg max ...

one brew session will give me 3x 3-4 gallon beers, and 1x 1.5-2 gallon beer to handle as a split ...

i basically think i'll just be running an alternation outside of stout ... ipa ... stout ... ipa ...

my one freezer will always have the ipa, w/ the distributor block, and the other freezer will always have the stouts, with the secondary reg and individual controls per keg ...

i'll move single gallons through to keep some variety going as kegs run out, but brew the outside batches to fill a freezer ... 12-14 gallons or whatever ...

grantmichaels said:

i think the keggles are cool ...

Yeah, I can't wait to use this one.  I'm going to get it cleaned up good so I can use it next brew session.  It will really be sweet to get the sight glass on it and everything too.  I was actually surprised how easy it was to get those fittings on it.  I've soldered a ton of water lines so I wasn't worried about that.  Just never used those materials before.  I still need to decide whether I want to put a bazooka or a diptube on it.  The bottom of the keg really dips down, so most likely I will go diptube.  Although I could put a solid extension so far and then put a bazooka on the end of it.

You have a bazooka in the bottom of your pot right?  How do you like it?

Ozzy2001 said:
Yeah, I can't wait to use this one.  I'm going to get it cleaned up good so I can use it next brew session.  It will really be sweet to get the sight glass on it and everything too.  I was actually surprised how easy it was to get those fittings on it.  I've soldered a ton of water lines so I wasn't worried about that.  Just never used those materials before.  I still need to decide whether I want to put a bazooka or a diptube on it.  The bottom of the keg really dips down, so most likely I will go diptube.  Although I could put a solid extension so far and then put a bazooka on the end of it.

You have a bazooka in the bottom of your pot right?  How do you like it?

I hate it, but mostly just hate it *ON THAT KETTLE* ...

That stupid thing just doesn't make enough beer, and everything is cramped in the vertical space, so screwing and unscrewing the bazooka is annoying because of the location of the element ..

And it gets shit in that's stubborn come cleaning ...

I purposely avoided it on my big kettle, opting instead for the trub guard and a pick-up ... since I don't really care THAT MUCH if some goes into the primary anyways ...

I say fuck bazooka's out of the brew kettle, but I think it's less of a big deal for the mash tun ... but in that case, I'm a big fan of BIAB as my filter ... the BIAB bags really for a nice clean liquor ...

Yeah, I never worry about it if a little trub goes in the fermenter.  I'm kind of thinking of just putting a diptube but bending it to land 4-5"s from the center of the bowl.  That way the trub will be in there after I whirlpool it and I will avoid most of it.  

Ozzy2001 said:
Yeah, I never worry about it if a little trub goes in the fermenter.  I'm kind of thinking of just putting a diptube but bending it to land 4-5"s from the center of the bowl.  That way the trub will be in there after I whirlpool it and I will avoid most of it.  

In all seriousness, based on a pragmatic view of reality in terms of how I operate ... I will brew outside 2-4 times each year, I figure ...

Each time will consume the better part of an entire weekend ...

Friday night: filter, collect, analyze, & treat water for starters and brewing, weigh and prepare the hopping schedules for all of the batches, and finally make all of the starters ...
Saturday morning: start heating strike water in the kettle, weight and mill grains, brew, chill, oxygenate, pitch ...
Sunday morning: monitor and deal with fermentation in terms of oxygenation, nutrition, blow-off, and clean up everything fully for returning to storage ...

The fittings on my keggle all cleaned up inside. Still need to do the rest of the outside of the keg. Wanted to try some of my tools out.
2fuxQAY.jpg

Back